The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Flying TT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Anyone have good solutions to keep a TT from slipping out of the hand when performing a bill switch? Let me elaborate: Many years ago I was performing in front of a sales team and talking about turning our invested $1 into $100. Now I was performing in a very humid area. Right at the critical moment there is the TT lying on the floor. My recovery was less than stellar but I managed some sorry response to the predicament.

Any good ideas to prevent a TT from slipping? I use a hard TT for a bill switch.

Any funny responses? I'm all thumbs today, one more than usual.
Philip Busk
Phil The Cop
View Profile
New user
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
24 Posts

Profile of Phil The Cop
Plastic is usually my choice for this, it allows the bill to move more fluidly. As far as gripping it during the switch, rubber tips are easier, but they make the switch more difficult. I would HIGHLY recommend you buy Magick Balay's Four Quarters DVD. It teaches his version of the bill switch (EXCELLENT teaching and handling). It also comes with a mismade bill that can be used. Again, this DVD in my opinion would improve your handling and show you visually how to prevent any mishaps.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I recommend you practice the handling more. I had trouble as well when 1st learning the handling, but after constant practice for a month, it all came together. One has to practice and study the handling at different points when having difficulty, then make corrects, and practice with those corrects each time.

It is said we are all created equal, but with different individual peculiarities.
Dai Hard
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Dai Hard
I had the same problem early on and came to find out it was just dry skin. A little fingertip moistener like Tacky-Finger or SortKwik fixed it right up.
Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I didn't even realize metal was an option. I had two different cheap plastic TTs from when I was much younger but I suppose it makes sense that something so classic would exist in a much nicer format.

Edit: I now realize the OP said hard, not metal. I do actually have a hard one that seems nicer than the other. I should probably just learn to use it better before writing it off as cheap Smile
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I use a normal vernet tip and I know what you mean it can slip. what I do to prevent this is once you've switched the bill and the out bill is going in the tip make sure your thumb is going in the tip with the bill. if you've done this right the bill should be working as and achor to hold the tip on your thumb. to know you have it right you should be able to see a little bill pertruding from the botom of the tip once it's on your thumb. try that I hope it helps.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I was watching the Bloomeries dvd this morning and really gained a new appreciation for this apparatus. I was quite clumsy trying to utilize it when I was a teenager. I'd feel much more confident going into it now, having a much better idea of misdirection and keeping it casually out of view as opposed to trying to boldly hold my _____ at an angle to the audience where you only see the absolute tip of my ______ and not the whole thing. It's so classic and versatile that I really must put in my dues with these routines - and of course, make something of my own.

Double entendre or forum etiquette .... you be the judge Smile