The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Roger Klause dye tube (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
I've alwyas like the color-changing silk routine. I recently watched Roger Klause dvd and was quite fascinated by his take on this effect. His handling of the dye tube is simply wonderful. The dye tbe he uses seems to have no curved edges. Do you know where can I find such a dye tube model? Thank You.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The curved ends are actually better in my opinion, but if you want the straight ende, Morrissey Magic makes both kinds, or did, sraight and curved.

They will only hold a 12" silk.

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/Dye_Tube_S......ight.htm
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
If You watch Dai Vernon and Roger Klause, they both seem to use dye tubes with no curved edges. At one point of the expalnation - if recall correctly - Vernon also express forward right-edges tube, as it more easily palmed (for the particular palm he uses) and moved in and out of play. Roger Klause follow along the same line, with some refinements. At the moment, I don't have the Vernon dvd handy (nor Klause book), but in Klause dvd is clearly shown this kind of dye tube.
If You have any additional detail, I will greatly appreciate.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 03:40, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The curved ends are actually better in my opinion, but if you want the straight ende, Morrissey Magic makes both kinds, or did, sraight and curved.

They will only hold a 12" silk.

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/Dye_Tube_S......ight.htm

Thank You very much Bill for the info.
The dye tube I own is from Morresy and I really didn't know they produced a right-edged model as well. Still thank You.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why I like the curved, over the straight edge is because of the "steal" of the tube. Pat Page also used the straight edge, and the steal was awkward to my way of thinking. It was also not angle proof during the steal. The curved edge allows a steal with the 2nd finger, lighting fast and angle proof. This is more of a flip move, then an actual pulling of the tube out with the pinch grip. That curved edge assists the finger being able to grip the edge and perform the move easily.

Pinching the edge of the gimmick between the index and thumb is just to cumbersome and as I stated not angle proof.

The curved edge also provides assistance for the ends of silk to not pop out prematurely during the routine.

I would also like to introduce you to the Rice Simplex gimmick. It has some advantages over the tape type dye tube. Those being, not having the cloth tape, thus you do not have to do the turn over move that is required with a tape type dye tube. It has the rolled edge, which permits lighting fast maneuvering from hand to hand. Only requires one finger to introduce and remove.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Simplex.htm This only uses 12" silks.

For larger silks I recommend the Rice Palmo.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Palmo.htm
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
If you like the Klause handling you should pick up the "Friends of Roger Klause" DVD set which has Roger doing his routine and also Lance Pierce teaching his handling of the effect. Lance really smoothed out Roger routine and covers the dye tube in detail. He really smooths out the routine.

~ Dan Strange
ps - Full disclosure I teach a routine on one of the DVD's but have no financial interest in them.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Thanks Dan!
Will look for these dvds in the future. Actually, I also have the Klause book by Pierce. So, what do precisely they add to the dvds produced by Meir Yedid? Thanks for helping.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
The book and videos you refer to were published in 1991 if I recall correctly. The friends DVD's were filmed in 2008. So the differences would be the changes that Lance made during that 17 year interval. If you are interested in the routine you should avail yourself of Lance's work.

And if you do pick up the Friends DVD please buy it from Lance as the proceeds go to Roger's family. You can read about them here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=95

~ Dan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic also makes a Tape style straight edge dye tube.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Dye-Tube-ABBdyetube.htm
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
There are pros and cons to using tubes with rolled ends or not, taped or not, barrel-shaped or straight. Which you decide to use depends quite a bit on the handling you want to do and the way you want the entire thing to look. For my purposes, a straight tube, no rolled ends, and a cloth tape works best, but these features all do important things in the routine and assist the handling rather than impede it, by design.

Thanks, Dan, for the kind words. I don't have footage of Roger doing "Red and White" on the DVDs, although we do see him doing "Sponge and Sleeve." The routine I explain on the DVD was the predecessor of "Red and White;" it was the handling that got Roger thinking about the color-changing silks again after a number of years. His method and mine are quite different. Smile

Cheers,

Lance
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 18:35, WingChun wrote:
I've always like the color-changing silk routine. I recently watched Roger Klause DVD and was quite fascinated by his take on this effect. His handling of the dye tube is simply wonderful. The dye tube he uses seems to have no curved edges. Do you know where can I find such a dye tube model? Thank You.

I got out my Roger Klause book and it says the dye tube should be 2 inches ling and 7/8 inch inner diameter. I don't know any straight sided commercial dye tube with those dimensions. You will have to make one yourself is you want to follow the books requirements. They do still sell 15 inch silks luckily. If you can find the tubing, then they are not hard to make yourself.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
It wasn't clear in the book, but the size of the tube relates pretty directly to the recommended size and compressibility of the silks, as well as the size of the performer's hands. Those with larger hands can use larger tubes (longer, wider, or both) and larger silks. What sizes one finally lands on with the tubes and silks depends a lot on the handling one is going to do. In the routine I do, for instance, I need a tube that fits comfortably in the palm of my hand but also has sufficient diameter to fit properly on the end of my thumb (when the thumb is inserted at a certain angle)...and I need the tube and silks to relate to each other in a way that the silks only fill about 80% of the tube when all the way in.

It can take some experimentation. It's all variables.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
I started the thread asking for more details about Klause right-ended dye tube. I really want to say thank you to everyone (expecially to Mr. Pierce) who has given so much treasured info on the dye tube.
yakutyokel2
View Profile
New user
Oregon
5 Posts

Profile of yakutyokel2
Neilsen used to sell a larger-capacity, straight-edged dye tube, but I haven't seen then for a couple of years or more. Too bad, because now I want one . . .
Anyone know anything about these or their equivalent? As I recall, they could take either an 18" or 24" silk.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 00:31, yakutyokel2 wrote:
Neilsen used to sell a larger-capacity, straight-edged dye tube, but I haven't seen then for a couple of years or more. Too bad, because now I want one . . .
Anyone know anything about these or their equivalent? As I recall, they could take either an 18" or 24" silk.

Do you mean Norm Nielsen? Was it made by Murray or George Millward? I cannot find Murray, don't know who he is, but I found Millward.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5455 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Interesting that I bought a dye tube directly from Roger at a TAOM convention 20-25 years ago. He sold a package deal with silks and routine. The tube was not straight sides. It was more like the tube that Joe Poper now sells (with the bulge in the middle). It was short but held a fairly large silk. It was a joy for small hands to handle.

I've made dye tubes for years by rolling a playing card to the diameter I wanted and using flesh colored mole skin to cover it. The edges can be made to act "rolled in" by just folding an lip of the mole skin inside. They work for dozens of shows and take heavy abuse. Since I do a torn and restored card bit and/or a signed card to...bit I always have a box of random playing cards. Dye tubes do not have to be made out of plastic or metal and are not complicated affairs. Make four or five of these at a time (about 15 minutes time) and you'll have what you need for a hundred performances or more.

For larger dye tubes I've used the Kraft paper that file folders are made from. I've even used heavy plastic folders to make tubes. Scissors, tape (mole skin or simply flesh colored adhesive tape) and Bob's your aunt!

It is only a little more time and the used of a razor to put a ribbon/tape through the center if that is the kind of tube you want or need.

Remember this is a hidden (never to be seen) tool and doesn't have to be pretty only functional and as Lance suggests, just right for the application needed.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have contacted Abbott's Magic and they have none in stock and do not plan on making them in the near further.

Then I contacted General Grant, and he has the size and dimensions that if those referenced in the book 1 inch Diameter and 2-1/8 inch long made in brass metal.

He does not have a web site but will do business by mail only. Contact him at ggmail@aol.com do not have any worries as he is a wonderful person.

I will be ordering 2 from him myself.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
George was making dye tubes at Denny & Lee's shop in Las Vegas a few months ago.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Received the General Grant Tape Dye Tubes today, they are excellent, they have the rolled edge as well. These are made of heavy brass thus you will have more control over the moves. My ruler measures them at 2-1/4" by 1" in diameter. perfect for 15" and 18" silks. General Grant suggest a 3 momme silk in the 18" size. Comes with 3 pages of illustrated instructions on the handling to perform the dyeing of a silk using this device. It is painted flesh tone as well in case you flash by accident.

Unlike the Johnson Products Dye Tube that is no longer available. It would be possible to repair the tape if necessary in the distant future. I of course will take a little effort, but is is possible.

I highly recommend this Tape Dye Tube for it use and quality. I ordered 2 so I can perform many of the routines that use 2 Dye Tubes. The most surprising part is they are only $11.00 each plus postage. That is a great price in today world.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, someone brought it to my attention, I gave the wrong address, General Grant's email address is ggmagic@aol.com sorry if this affected anyone else at getting returned emails.