The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Topit Installation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Keichewer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Keichewer
Hello Everyone! Smile

I bought Michael Ammar's topit about a year ago, and finally found a jacket I liked, and took it to the local seamstress. So far she has "fixed" the lining on the sleeves for me (for sleeving), but no matter how many times I try to explain to her what the topit is, or how it works, she says she doesn't understand it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or had any other similar problems in explaining the topit to anyone else?

Sorry, I'm a little frustrated is all, and I'm not exactly sure how to explain it.

Thank you. Smile
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I sent you a PM. What I had to say may violate the non-disclosure rule of this Magic forum. I went into detail a bit too much to be seen here in public.

dsalley13
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
You may want to have Fabric Manipulations (advertiser on the Café) install the topit. Had a friend use them a while back wonderful work, I must admit.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What do you mean you bought the topit, I did not know the topit was being sold already made. They sell the book, pattern, and DVDs to my knowledge, I may be in error.

I bought the pattern for $5.00 and had a seamstress make it, then I sat down and whipped stitched it in my jacket. You have to straight pin it in place 1st. It did turn out perfectly. The only thing I can advise is to make the flap 3 times as long as the pattern. Did the same for the outer pocket deal. It only took me one evening to sew the whole thing. Anyway, you will need the skill in your everyday life anyway, so what better reason to learn a new skill.

If you don't have the pattern, then it makes it very difficult for a seamstress as they work from patterns. So if you can make the pattern from your source material, then help the seamstress out and make her a pattern.

If you are not familiar with hand stitching, they sell a easy to understand hand stitching book at the fabric store where I bought the lining material. It not as difficult as you may think.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1907 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Peter Pitchford sells and installs them at a great price. He is a member here. PM him and I'm sure he can help you out.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I'd be happy to help. Shoot me a pm and we'll talk.
Dai Hard
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Dai Hard
- Cut the slit for outer pocket access
- Have your wife, friend or seamstress make and hem the topit and slit cover
- Straight pin the topit and slit cover in place
- Show the tailor/seamstress where to sew

I've found that when you try to explain all of it at once to a tailor or seamstress they sometimes get overwhelmed or confused. Sometimes going slow and guiding them step by step makes things easier.
Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I have found a great seamstress in the Atlanta area who will sew and install a Topit at a great price. If you need her services PM me and I will get you details. She charged me $200 to install 2. I didn't ask but I would guess she would want $100 foot 1.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-12-15 17:13, Gr8gorilla wrote:
I have found a great seamstress in the Atlanta area who will sew and install a Topit at a great price. If you need her services PM me and I will get you details. She charged me $200 to install 2. I didn't ask but I would guess she would want $100 foot 1.

That sounds expensive, I bought a coat and had the sleeves lenghtend for sleeving cost me $20. I asked about two other things I wanted done to my coat one of them being a topit and they quoted me $50 for both I need to provide the material.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.deceptionsmke -My Show
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

@AndyLuka,

She actually opened the lining and made the topit look like part of the Jacket. She made the pocket slits as if they were pockets too. She said she worked a whole day installing those 2 Topits. She actually charged $100 but said if I had any more done they would be at least $100 each. She matched the fabric and made the Topits as well.

If they had simply been whip stitched then this price would be a lot. For what she did I consider it a bargain.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

@AndyLuka,

She actually opened the lining and made the topit look like part of the Jacket. She made the pocket slits as if they were pockets too. She said she worked a whole day installing those 2 Topits. She actually charged $100 but said if I had any more done they would be at least $100 each. She matched the fabric and made the Topits as well.

If they had simply been whip stitched then this price would be a lot. For what she did I consider it a bargain.