The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Bicycles VS Bees (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott.
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Scott.
Which do you prefer?
I use mainly bicycles and have only handled bees a few times and am not used to them. What are they like for magic and how do they handle. I am deciding whether to buy them for my next pack as I buy in bulk of about 12 packs and bees are way cheaper.
The price I end up with is bikes: $30, bees: $18.

Scott.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2228 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Just my opinion but Bikes are more recognizable ..at least for the people I know. I use red back bikes only...
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
First off find someone who is a member of Sams Club or Costco and you will pay less for Bikes than the price you show for Bee's.

Now to answer your question. For three card monte the Bee's are far better because of the full back design. For most every other magical application you do not want to use Bee's because of the full back design, you want a white border. If you get away from a border you will find many tricks cannot be done because the spectator will spot certain cards in the deck in an instant. So the answer to your question as to what Bee's are like for magic the answer is they are terrible unless you find Bee's with borders.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 23:54, MagicSanta wrote:
So the answer to your question as to what Bee's are like for magic the answer is they are terrible unless you find Bee's with borders.

Do they make Bees with white borders? Is so, are they special order or does any magic dealer carry them as a matter of course?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
It definitely depends on what you are going to use them for. Like Santa said, Bees are great for 3 Card Monte as well as most other gambling sleights such as seconds because there is no white border to slide across the card.

Bikes have, by far, the most brand recognition (about 80%). They also are easier to do most magic tricks with because of the border. Personally, I use bikes and save the bees for gambling demonstrations.
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think there were some special decks made with borders but what you are likely to find are solid backs. If folks wonder about the borders get cards with a solid back and do an ambitious card routine or stick a card in upside down and see if you can notice that card....you will big time. For those monte and gambling moves you can't beat the Bees.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:

Do they make Bees with white borders? Is so, are they special order or does any magic dealer carry them as a matter of course?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Yes, they do. You can get them from a seller on eBay (can't remember the name for sure, but it could be "fullboatdealer"). They have white borders, and also a Bee logo on the back.

I like them. They are very thick cards, though!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
The Wynn decks on theory 11 are white border bee cards....

http://www.theory11.com/playingcards/wynns.php

They sel 250 per day each midnight EST.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He's looking for low price gangsters....while I like those Wynn decks at almost five bucks a pop I doubt they will win the price war.
Scott.
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Scott.
^
yeah, value.