The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Skinner's Edge Card Creme (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Anyone use this? There's a thread in the Ever So Sleightly section which states that, contrary to common belief, it isn't just repackaged SortKwik.

http://www.legerdomain.com/index.html
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Couldn't find the thread.
packaging looks exactly like SortKwik though.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
It's in this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&32

Apparently it's a different formula, manufactured by the same people who make SortKwik, and packaged in the same bottle as SortKwik. Look for the post by "ncognito"

I did notice that you were in Canada, so you may be particularly interested in this from the above thread:

"There is actually a Magic vendor in Canada who is re-labeling Sort-Kwik as a counterfeit product."
Steranko
View Profile
New user
UK
89 Posts

Profile of Steranko
I use Sort Kwik now and then for second dealing, but I've never heard of this creme. What about Panther ****, does anyone have any information on that?
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
If I remember correctly, I once peeled back the lable of the Skinner stuff and saw that it was simply pasted over the Sort Kwik label.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-08-10 15:27, Adam Hince wrote:
If I remember correctly, I once peeled back the lable of the Skinner stuff and saw that it was simply pasted over the Sort Kwik label.

Really?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Yes, but I will check the Edge Cream again to be sure.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes please check it. The mfgs and one of the gentleman who is involved with the product swear that it is NOT the same product. Although they are both mfg'd by the same company.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
"There is actually a Magic vendor in Canada who is re-labeling Sort-Kwik as a counterfeit product."

I don't know about that, I just buy mine from office depot.
if either one of the shops in toronto bought this stuff from a vendor, the customers would let the owners know pretty quick.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Scott0819 I think you've got the wrong end of the stick - Sort Kwik is being relabelled by some unscrupulous dealer as Skinner's Edge Creme which is a different and, according some, a better product for card manipluation than Sort Kwik.

Here's the original thread in Ever So Sleightly:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;start=0

I'm not that keen on Sort Kwik myself so the question remains, is this stuff better?
ncognito
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ncognito
Now that we seem to have a thread dedicated to the topic of our product, I thought I should, first, repost my original message from the other topis that it appears in. Here is that message, followed by some additional posts to comment on the current discussion.

-----------------
About Skinner’s Edged Card Crème

I am one of two old friends of Michael’s who are responsible for bringing Skinner’s Edge Card Crème to market. I’ve read numerous posts about the product over time and thought it might be time to clear a few things up.

First of all, this product in not Sort-Kwik. It is made by the same company that makes Sort-Kwik, Lee Products in the Twin Cities. It is a different formulation that contains other ingredients that are better suited for skin care that Sort-Kwik. It was called Paper Crème and I don’t think the company markets it any longer as such.

Michael was religious about this stuff, always carrying a container in his sock so that, when called upon to perform, he would excuse himself to “wash-up” and then be ready to blow us all away.

He feared that the stuff might become unavailable, and since I live the Twin Cities, I would purchase cases of the stuff to send to him to allay his fears.

After his passing, John Deems and I decided to explore approaching the Lee Products company with the idea of repackaging the product under Michael’s name. This was an effort on our part to keep Mike’s name alive and as a tribute.

It turned out that the company had no problem with this idea, in that it was a regular practice of theirs. The same product was already repackaged and sold as both an aid for folks in the commercial lighting industry for a sure grip on light bulbs and, of all things imaginable, a solution for dog show people as a means to reduce paw slippage on indoor floors for their pets in the show.

We chose a slightly smaller container (the same package they use for Sort-Kwik) in an effort to make the item easier to carry and conceal. I think Michael would have really appreciated the lighter load.

The project was never intended to make much money, with no advertising budget beyond a simple web site (www.legerdomain.com). This has proved to be true with the sales thus far, doing little more than covering production and distribution costs. The product sells the best in England but all told it has only done well enough to keep out of pocket expenses for the project to a minimum. This is exactly what it was designed to do. Nobody’s making any money here, but Michael’s name (and photograph) is kept alive and circulating.

Sort-Kwik, a great product for fingertip moistening, is not the same product as Skinner’s Edge Card Crème and does not have all of the benefits and nor does it perform as well as this product. I am hoping to stop these rumors, not necessarily to stop folks from using it or to drive them to by our Card Crème, but rather to stem the tide of misinformation so the integrity of Mike’s preferred formula can be maintained. There is actually a Magic vendor in Canada who is re-labeling Sort-Kwik as a counterfeit product.

We are not asking you to buy or use Skinner’s Edge Card Crème, but please, don’t mistake it for other similar products. We know, because of the way we are having it produced, coupled with the normal margins in the Magic distribution and dealer community, that it sells for more than the office products discussed. It lasts a long time and we believe it is well worth the price charged. This is America and as a free market society you can buy it or not.

The main point is that there are no scams here; no one is trying to rip you off. We offer the product as a tribute to Michael Skinner’s memory. I am writing this all out in an effort to straighten out the misconceptions about the product. The whole project makes very little sense if it causes feelings of being bilked by the Magic Community.

It is what it is. If you use it you will see in it what Mike saw, a remarkably helpful tool for card and coin manipulation. I am aware that many magicians feel this sort of thing is unnecessary and I can also attest to the fact that one (including Mike Skinner himself) could become dependant on the product, lacking the confidence to perform without it. I use it and benefit from it whenever I perform, but there are no implied requirements here.

I welcome any questions or comments although I do hope this explanation puts this small controversy to sleep.

Have a great day,
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Ncognito, thanks. I read your post in a different area of the site, that's why I asked Mr Hince if his story was true. I figured it was either a BS story or someone was knocking it off. Either way, I was trying to help dispel this ongoing rumor that the Edge Creme and Sort-Kwik are one and the same.

I've not tried the product but may give it a try somewhere down the line.

Vandy
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Vandy,
My story was not BS, there would be no reason to make up something like that. I hope that is not what you are suggesting. I have not looked at the package of Skinner cream yet, I was simply going from memory. Either two of the scenarios make sense to me that ncognito described. Either the product that I looked at was the counterfeit or else it was the relabeled product put out by Lees. But please, don't call me a liar.

Adam
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
B.S. was a poor choice of words (or initials). Please don't read any implication into that. I should have said incorrect recollection, or a mistake. I wasn't trying to slam you. I apologise.

Vandy
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Thank you, Vandy. No offense taken. Thank you for clearing it up. I certainly will check the cream this weekend as I do not have the container currently in my possession.
ncognito
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ncognito
I really appreciate this message board and place a lot of value on this and similar venues to promote the exchange of ideas and opinions. That said, I am finding it interesting being the subject of so many conspiracy theorists’ comments, not in this thread but in the other similiar threads where we are called rip-off artists for attempting to mount some scam.

I actually found myself peeling back a label from a package of Skinner’s Edge Card Crème to see if the lab that makes the stuff was recycling Sort-Qwik packages under our labels; not so. I am guessing the operative words in the individual’s post were, “If I remember correctly”.

Gentlemen, (and I hope some ladies, as well). I sincerely wish to clear this up. Not necessarily to get you to purchase the product, even though I truly believe it to be a wonderful tool for any manipulation.

I reiterate that the whole motivation behind the production and marketing of Skinner’s Edge Card Crème is to help keep Michael’s name alive in the field of Magic. If we were to use his name to sell some rip-off product, we would be doing his memory a great disservice.

Once again, here are the key points.

Skinner’s Edge Card Crème is manufactured for us by the same company that makes and markets Sort-Qwik, Lee Products of Minneapolis.

It is, however, a different formula that contains ingredients that are beneficial to the skin that are not found in Sort-Qwik.

We do use one of the same packages that they use to sell Sort-Qwik (we chose this particular package for its size, in consideration of issues regarding pocket space and ease of concealment).

The cost differences are largely due to the small runs of the product versus the significantly larger market for office products like Sort-Qwik. However, due to the small amounts necessary to be effective and the length of time a container lasts, we still consider our product to be a great value.

Please, try both products and compare. The differences will be obvious instantly upon opening the two containers as the Sort-Qwik is more translucent than the Edge Crème. The real differences will become apparent upon use as the Skinners Edge product is much better suited to the needs of the magician than the office product.

One more point to make here. The instance of the Canadian dealer marketing a knock-off product was brought to our attention by the folks at Lee Products. In their own process of due diligence in marketing, they found the Web site promoting the stuff and brought it to us to see if we were aware of the issue. We were not.

We are magicians, working to bring a great product to magicians while attempting to memorialize our dear friend and mentor/teacher, Michael Skinner. We are not looking to capitalize on the situation. I can promise you that, so far, it has been at best a break even enterprise. That is fine with us.

As far as accessing the product, we would hope that you would find it at your favorite Magic Dealer. We supply one of the major Magic distributors, Magic City, in the hopes that dealers will stock the product.

If you are unable to find it at your local dealer (and please, don’t hesitate to ask them to stock it), you can learn more about it at the Legerdomain site http://www.legerdomain.com. It can be purchased directly at our product store which is located at http://www.ourproductstore.com.

On June 28, 2005, Larry Davidson posted the following comment in the “The Magic Café Forum Index » » Show me the money » » Dry hands?” topic thread…

“I just received the "Skinner’s Edge Card Crème" product and it's great. It does the job and one container will last a very long time, even with frequent use.”

There are a number of choices for products that one can use to get the right “tack” for card and coin manipulation. Each person who has a need for this kind of product should find the one that works best for them. Skinner’s Edge Card Crème is but one of them. It is a serious and sincere offering for a solution to the issue of dry or slippery hands. No one is trying to rip anyone off.

Since my first posting on the topic, we have received a number of orders for the product and I am hopeful that some of those customers will step up and review it for the benefit of those on the message board who would like to know more about it and its effectiveness.

I welcome any questions or comments. Have a great day.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
It's funny how the human mind works. Amzingly, it's the same reason why spectators remember the trick differently than it was done. I, too, was a victim of this. When I initially saw the product, I must have thought it was very similar to Sort Qwik and I must have remembered peeling back the label (however, I recheck and found nothing), merely putting the two together. Sorry for any trouble.

I see no evidence that these are the same product.
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Any chance of ordring this product if you live outside the US? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul H
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
The Card Collection stocks it.www.cards4magic.co.uk They do not always take it to their convention stand.

I am told it is good but I use Cetaphil.
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi anthonyb,

Thanks for the tip. I have had a look at this site and can find SortQuik, Elite Magician Hand Lotion in a spray bottle and Manipulation Lotion, but nothing that matches the title 'Skinners Edge Card Creme'. Hmmm. I would be most grateful for any further ideas.

Regards,

Paul H

Groan,

Thanks Anthony, I've just managed to locate it on their website. Its actually cheaper than SortQuick!!

Regards,

Paul H