The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Wellington's Tri-Section Illsuion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I was interested in purchasing either Wellington's Tri-Section or their see-thru-head chopper. While the head chopper may be more dramatic than the tri-section due to the element of danger inherent in the illusion on an audience member as well as having the potential for a lot of comedic by-play, it is certainly more bulky than the Tri-Section illusion which is easier to trasnport in the truck of a car. In addition, the Tri-Section seems more versatile, being able to be used at shows with younger children present.

Has anyone performed or have seen the Wellington/Larry White Tri-Section performed? I would appreciate your review and comments regarding the enternatinemtent value of the illusion and the impact of the illusion on the audience compared to See-Thru-Head Chopper. Basically, for $2,500.00 do you get your money's worth in entertainemnt value and in the WOW factor.

Finally, I know that Wellington makes a separate table for the Tri-Section illusion for an extra $1,000.00. Does the "special" table add to the deceptiveness of the illusion? Is teh table necessary to perform this illusion?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
54 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
David Copperfield performed this illusion in his show for several seasons. I thought it was an entertaining interlude, but not a feature.

My friend Steve Chezaday has the Wellington See-Throught Chopper. It is a beautiful piece of apparatus and extremely effective. Still, it is a chopper and in light of current events, may not be appropriate. This has been addressed elsewhere in this forum.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was vey helpful. Would I be correct in concluding that you feel from your own personal observations and experience that the tri-section illusion does not have a strong impact on an audience, and therefore, $2,500.00 ($3,500.00 with the table) is an expensive "interlude?"

I have also sent yo a PM.

Thank you again for your help and courtesy.

Best regards,

magicinsight

Best regards,

magicinsight
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Magicinsight,

I own Tri-Section and have been performing it for almost a year. I love the piece and I am convinced that in the right hands and with the right presentation it can be a masterpiece.

I performed it for an entire week at the Magic Castle several months ago and I will bring it back next spring. It always gets a very nice response from my audiences.

Just for the record David Copperfield was quite upset when Larry/Bill decided to market this illusionette.

The table Bill sells does add to the deceptiveness of this piece in the sense that there is no third box (the bottom black one) which serves no real purpose.

Regards,

D
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your post. Would you agree, however, with Mark's earlier post that the Tri-Section is an entertaining 3 minute "interlude" and not a feature? Would you recommend getting the table? Is the entire unit with the able bulky and difficult to transport? From 1-10, how would you rate this illusion in terms of impact on an audience and deceptiveness?

Thank you again for your help and insight.

Sincerely,

Magicinsight.
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Brent W
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Brent W
I own the see thru head chopper and have been using it for over a year. It is a fantastic prop that always plays great. I use it as an "in one" piece while something else is being set behind the curtain. It is a solid 8 minutes of entertainment.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Brent W,

Thank you very much for your imput. While I do not want to get too much off the post's heading, do you think the see-thru-chopper is more entertaining and mystifying to an audience than a regular "Lester Lake" type chopper? Would the "Lester Lake" style accomplish the same effect and have the same impact on an audience as the much more expensive Wellington see-thru?
—Hakim, Loreweaver
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Magicinsight,

In my opinion Tri-Section is more than an entertaining 3 minute "interlude" although it is not really a feature either. I do not own Bill's table because I did not like its design. I designed one myself and had it built locally. The entire unit (including table) is not that bulky. Givent he fact that I tour with a full-evening illusion show, I do not think it is difficult to transport. It may be different for you though... In any case the flight case for the prop is very practical.

From 1-10, I would give give this illusionette an 7.5 in terms of impact on the audience and deceptiveness but I can only speak for my version. I worked quite hard on it and I have managed to turn it into something I consider both entertaining and mystifying.

I hope my answer will help you.

Regards,

D
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Dear David,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was extremely helpful.

Thank you again for your time and courtesy and I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

MI
—Hakim, Loreweaver