The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Does anyone use these anymore? The gimmick has been exposed so much I would be afraid to. Smile
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2228 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Check out Losanders version and his Bubble Zombie. He brings the Zombie to a new level. Just heard from him and he and Tommy Wonder have a new floating ball called " Sphere " that will be available in January 2004 that is suppose to be FANTASTIC.
It will sell for $295.00. He will have a demo of it soon on his site.

http://www.losander.com

Hope this helps.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The Zombie is still very much in use. In spite of the exposure of the gimmick, most audiences either don't know or don't care. My wife still works it to death. She does not use the metal silver ball, but it is still a Zombie. She is also a very good ballet dancer who does the routine to music only. The ball, gimmick and all, vanish in the end and leave a pile of glitter. Her aunt wants to know where she keeps getting new ones to crush? It must work well.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use the zombie as an opener in my children and family shows.
However, I don't use a ball. I use a red M&M doll and a spongebob. It's easy to modify most any stuffed animal or doll to do a zombie.
The kids relate to these type items way better than a ball. Adults seem to like it too!
Daniel Faith
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I turn it into a comedy routine. I act like I will make the ball disapear, and the cloth bulges in the middle. I act like I am trying to hide it. That usually gets a good repose. I have also heard using a handz up(is that how you spell it) adds a nice effect.
You can get those from http://www.hottrix.com , but they are a little pricey.
The great Sandwich!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Al Schneider on Zombie is a must have book if you are considering doing this effect.

He discribes new moves and his routine can be done close-up, meaning stand up in front of a small group, not at a table.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
G'day folks

Does anyone know of a Zombie Ball that looks like a soap bubble but isn't an actual soap bubble

Sound strange?

David from Sydney Australia
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Off the shelf the best "soap bubble" zombie ball would be a clear glass (clear plastic would be better) Christmas tree ornament .

Check this one out :
http://ww8.christmasdepot.com/prod.cgi?1446

Crystal clear , 3.5" inch diameter , so would be fairly visible on a small stage situation .

Ideally have a glass blower blow a light-weight glass sphere (similar to that Christmas Tree Ornament) with no hole. Then on the end of the gimmick use a suction cup to attach to the ball .
Get several made at a time so if you break one you have backups .
Hopefully there is some chemical treatment to harden the glass to make it resistant to breaking . Ask an experienced glass worker.

Also check out these links for hollow plastic (acrylic) spheres :

http://www.globalplastics.ca/domes.htm

http://www.barnardltd.com/.query.listall3.tdview.129

Oh , yes, here's another source :

http://www.fxsupply.com/products/hemis.html

I think a couple of these acrylic hemispheres epoxied together would
make a good looking Zombie "bubble" .
(and you could use the suction cup pick up on the end of the zombie gimmick)
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Quote:
On 2004-03-13 13:27, icentertainment wrote:
G'day folks

Does anyone know of a Zombie Ball that looks like a soap bubble but isn't an actual soap bubble

Sound strange?

David from Sydney Australia

g'day chris the link in the second post is related to that

s'later chris

liam

by the way I do not come from down under matey's
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 02:57, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Does anyone use these anymore? The gimmick has been exposed so much I would be afraid to. Smile

Check out Tommy Wonder's thoughts on the Zombie in his DVD video's as a prelude to his Zombie ball explaination
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
The first best performance I saw of a Zombie was by Arturo Brachetti in the Best Of Magic series. I was blown. I did not know magic then. I recently saw a magician do the Zombie in a shopping mall to an almost surrounded audience.The people were hooked to the effect and the music and the choreographed moves. Bottom line? The extra bit of touch can always create a miracle even if the secret is widely known.
vaillant
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of vaillant
Could anyone suggest where to find suitable music for a zombie ball routine.

Thanks

OTTO.....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best place to get music for Zombie is the Music Store. Just go in and grab a handful and take them home and with the Zombie in your hands start listening until you find the one you like.

There is no 'per sa' Zombie music written for this effect.

I once seen a gentleman perform it to a poem he recited. Not a bad performance.

Encore Magic has the U.S. rights to make the gimmick only for Losander Zombie, they sell it for $20.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
And well worth it it is----

I have always been of the opinion, however that it is best to use zombie in a larger context. Just floating a ball is expected -- floating a lady too --- but what else can you float.

Bubbles
Tables
Candles large and small
skulls (Ala Kovari)
Handkerchiefs
silks
corks
swords
self?

Zombie is just a door --- open it -- and find flowers, a plethora of bubbles -- other stuff in the two hemispheres??

Zombie a gift package -- then use it (after you take off cover -- for a production....... (think Harry Potter on that one.)

The principals of levitation can burst forth---but do them well. Flashing a gimmick on a reverse is a no-no. Making the ***ed thing look like a ball on a stick is a no-no. Dropping it on the floor mid rocking in the cloth -- another no-no.

Stgart zombie as a juggling trick (balance on arm) then have it fly to your amazement -- and you are back to Carson's original premise if I remeber correctly. GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Vann
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
1 Post

Profile of Vann
I too have been considering adding a ZOMBIE routine to my repertoire. I’ve been doing shows for the elderly lately, and because of hearing difficulties, I’ve been performing more silent routines done to music.

I like the added possibilities of utilizing the HANDZUP from Hotrrix

Vann
One thing about going the extra mile, is there's never a lot of traffic.
BBM123
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
98 Posts

Profile of BBM123
Regarding using a spongebob doll or other doll for a kid's show: wouldnt it be too heavy? I own the Zombie, but havent tried using a heavier object to levitate. If it isn't too heavy for the gimmick, you wouldnt mind me using something like that too, would you?
Thanks,
Loren
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure why the Zombie is in a forum for Illusions. It's not an illusion. It's a stand-up stage trick.

In any case, if you want to do this trick, get the Tommy Wonder book and get Al Schneider's book, too. Both are absolutely necessary if you want to understand what the zombie has to look like.

Karson's book is good idea to have, but isn't necessary any more.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Hey Bill we have transformed the regular stage Zombie into a full on Stage Illusion called the Zombie Coffin. Check it out here:

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/master_o......offi.htm

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Please, when doing Karson's Zombie...make it short and sweet, as I have seen so many do it too long, swaying it back and forth (the "stick") look and going under the cloth a dozen or more times.

I think Melinda has it about right...very flourishy, up, down around and GONE!

Going on too long can KILL the effect.

Just my $.02...
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Melinda's act was the inspiration for my Zombie Coffin illusion. I love her version too!
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com