The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Rising card on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I'm curious what more experienced people than myself have to say about doing card tricks with a normal size deck, in particular the rising card, on stage in front of a large audience, a few hundred people. Is it too small a trick?
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Yes
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
That's what I would think. Yet, Teller (of Penn and Teller) performs the needle trick in front of a few hundred (maybe a thousand) people and gets away with it. How?
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Read about Howard Thurston.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I just found a site which says that Thurston performed the rising card on stage.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
This proves that's an effect that you can perform it on stage.
Doug Henning did that too and many other performers.
There are even performers, manipulating thimbles or coins on stage....
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
It is the performer and the performance that dictates the end result - there are many smaller tricks (rising cards, invisible deck, cigarette in coat, bill in lemon, knife through coat, to name just a very few) that work great in a larger performance - however it is the performer and their routine that sells it, not the trick itself.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I prefer to perform my Jumbo Card Rise for an audience of less than 60 if you ask me. I would prefer to perform this on a parlor setting than a stage.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 19:34, MagicalMotivator wrote:
It is the performer and the performance that dictates the end result - there are many smaller tricks (rising cards, invisible deck, cigarette in coat, bill in lemon, knife through coat, to name just a very few) that work great in a larger performance - however it is the performer and their routine that sells it, not the trick itself.

Rick

Well put. I do tossed out deck, a few mental bits and various other things with a regular deck for large theatres all the time.

Rising card is definitely doable, although I might go with a jumbo deck for that one, given that it's a visual effect with only 2-3 inches of movement for the effect to sink in.