The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Transparent Thin Model Sawing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
Hey there guys. I am very seriously looking to getting this illusion. It looks killer and absolutely amazing. This is the same one that Siegreid and Roy uses (used?) right?

Anyhow, one question that I have is: Can this be done surrounded? For example, one venue that I might perform it would be at an assembly at our school. Would this be possible in a situation where I am basically surrounded at all times on all four sides?

I am very interested in any pros and cons that owners of this illusion may have. Thanks.

In case you don't know what it is, here is a link: http://amaze.freeyellow.com/sawing.html
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
It's a rip-off of Jonathan Pendragon's Clearly Impossible built by Bill Smith.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
If you are legitimately interested in performing the real version of this illusion, call Bill Smith.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
No you can't perform surrounded. You get what you pay for, the model shown is just the shell of the illusion.

Buy the Magic Ventures model or buy something else like a regular thin model.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
I very much do appreciate those that have responded with the post, but do you think that you guys might be able to go a bit more indepth? How much does the Bill Smith Illusion cost?, why is it better?, how is the one I provided a rip-off, those that HAVE had experience with the Bill Smith Illusion, how have your experiences been with it?
Once again, seekers cannot be choosers, and I appreciate all of the information, but I am very interested if you guys might have any more info that you can add to the situation. Thanks.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Not only do you get the most for your money buying the real proprietary design, you also preserve the craft by not flooding the market with cheap knock off imitations. Most times knock-offs are just a shell of what the original looks like and stops there. The knock offs do not have the creator's original ideas nor does it have the design that was worked out with some of the best minds in magic brainstorming.

Do not be fooled by a knock-off illusion that may not have been built to work correctly. A savings of 3000.00 on a knock-off illusion can be a waste of the entire sum spent when it fails to achieve the deception that the original has obtained. Instead of magic being refined magic is cheapened.

How much does the Bill Smith Illusion cost?
10,500.00 in cases and rights are paid.

why is it better?
The knock offs for the most part don't have the real secrets, and are a disappointment in craftsmanship, is not the real deal.
You also gain the benefit from a major builder with all the technology that the builder has obtained from years of building for the top names and minds in magic.

how is the one I provided a rip-off?
you shouldn't get into illusion until you know what a good illusion from a rip off. The word rip off means act of stealing or cheap imitation.

Bill Smith model is made out of metal and has the correct dimension and details that the inventor intended. Not just what the rip off builder thinks.

I have a friend with one and its an awesome illusion.

This is the same one that Siegreid and Roy uses (used?) right?

No S&R used;
Impossible Sawing (no boxes)
Creative Illusion (created by Ken Whitaker)

we are talking about (the link you gave)

Clearly Impossible
Authorized builder Bill Smith Magic Ventures (created for J. Pendragons )
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
Well said, Zigmont! Smile
Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
Thanks a lot for all the advice Zigmont. I appreciate all of the info on the topic.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hey guys,

Corect me if I am wrong, but JP was not the first to do a clear sawing. In fact a fellow in California wrote to MAGIC magazine to defend the fact he had it first. Look back a couple of years in the Editor column and you will find a picture.

That said...the one posted is a rip off and no one should support them. Why...well someday you will come up with the million dollar illusion and you will take great pride in performing it and then selectively selling it and then mass marketing it and wait until you find out how it feels to get ripped off. Everyone has that great idea inside...

Cheers,

Shawn
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Les Arnold was the man who first did a version of the clear sawing.
he ran an ad in magic magazine in '95 and sold a few of them ( I have one and it is a great illusion)
the pedragon version is a bit different but very simular (boxes instead of domes and only leg g.... and no body g....).the table in both versions is the same.
The copy version made in italie doesn't work !!!
the maker of this rip off version doesn't know the secret, so save your money and buy one from Les Arnold or Bill Smith.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi,
I watched Brett Daniels do a sawing on the Worlds Greatest magic and boy it was awesome. I was blown when the covers were lifted. Whoever came up with the idea is a genius. I would like to know if it is available for sale. I know it would be expensive if it is. IS there some website where I can find it?
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Brett Daniels version can only be done under certain conditions...wath the demo on brets site (It's part of the montage vid). The WGM performance didn't have the proper condition it is very visible to the method. I am not sure if someone has "rights" to this as the methods have been used much before.I'll try and find out.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Be very careful when you purchase the illusions that are coming from the rip-off houses in Italy and Austria. Sometimes you don't even get an illusion. Sometimes, all you get is the torn-off receipt from your money order. And when you do get the illusion, chances are, it won't work. Ask anyone who purchased a "Blaney Ladder Levitation" from Francesco Martorana.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Bill
Thanks for the tip on rip off illusions. Knowing what to look for ("rip-off houses in Italy and Austria")is use full information.

Zigmont
I agree with what you said with the exception "you shouldn't get into illusion until you know what a good illusion from a rip off. The word rip off means act of stealing or cheap imitation."
Help those of us who are learning and and have the desire to not patronize "Rip off Builders" with what we should look for. Are there books or workshops or do we depend on Forums like this to be educated.

I have learned a great deal here at the Café however I know I have a long way to go.
Thanks for your help.
ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher