The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Vinny Marini TOP GUN!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
This is one of the best NEW ideas and moves that I have seen in card magic to date. Not only is it a great magical color change. But there are several tricks and effects and controls that this move can be used for and explained in full on this DVD!

I consider top gun a move that moves card magic forward... Because if learned to it the right way it is only limited to the performers imagination for it's use. Plus it is a great move to use when needing a move for an out... When an effect goes wrong...

In another thread Vinny Marini states that he and Steve Draun came up with the move each on their own and Steve has his routines and use in his book Magic Draun from the Underground... This book is also suggested reading to fine lovers of card magic...

Plus on the Top Gun DVD there is also a bonus effect called warped and restored a great effect that I would use the Jokers in the deck...

If a magician is looking for practical card magic - new practical ideas with many uses - Vinny Marini Top Gun is great!!! And don't pass up Steve Draun's book magic from the underground...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
gilbert3
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of gilbert3
'Secrets Draun From Underground'
gilbert3
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of gilbert3
'Secrets Draun From Underground'
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of DJG
Ok I have watched the DVD, and I am not too impressed.

The DVD itself does not play on all DVD players. In fact I tried it on FOUR (4) different ones, and not a single one worked. Finally I tried Windows Media. It works, but not that great. For the record, this is where most of my gripe comes from.

The actual Top Gun move is impressive, and will (at least for me) take some time to master. I hope I will one day make it look as clean as Vinny.

To me the "Warp" effect was a disappointment. I use a variation, and was looking for a certain "move" that Vinny has that makes the effect impromptu. I found the explaination slightly misleading, and not workable in real life situations. I have tried both the move as described to a tee, and several variations. It IS possible, but screams suspicious.

I do not know Vinny, nor am I insulting him personally. This is MY honest opinion of the DVD.

If you have the patience to learn the Top Gun move I would recommend it.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi David I appreciate your honesty,I made a vhs several years ago that I sent out to Café members who asked to see warped and restored, The responses were very positive.
On the tape I explain in more detail about the effect I would be happy to send this video to you just pm your e mailing address to me. I also use the same get ready for card warp,,
regards
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of DJG
Sending PM
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 00:48, David J. Greene wrote:
The DVD itself does not play on all DVD players. In fact I tried it on FOUR (4) different ones, and not a single one worked. Finally I tried Windows Media. It works, but not that great. For the record, this is where most of my gripe comes from.

David... There is no standard for DVD software. Even Hollywood movies and other DVD players don't play in ALL DVD players. It depends on the software that is used to burn the DVD and it depends on the player.

There is no industry standard for DVD's at this time... As far as I know...

I have been wotking on the Top gun move all weekend and I think it's great...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<Even Hollywood movies and other DVD players don't play in ALL DVD players>>

Well yeah, if you're in the US and the format is Pal, or region coded. That wasn't my point. With FOUR DVD playing devices I have NEVER had a problem...until now. But no worries... It played didn't it?

I stand corrected in regards to my original post. The move in question IS workable. Not as shown in the DVD (again IHMO), but with some thinking and slight modifications.

One of the things I like about DVDs is most of them get your creative juices flowing, and this is one such DVD. I stand my by original opinions, with one sleight change: With some additional thinking you can get it to work...
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Just want to say, vinny's TGC is just soooooo cool and clean!! thanks! vinny!
- a f o i -
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
If you have dry hands the Top Gun will not work.
Good idea though,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
James - if you have dry hands a lot of moves are harder to do. I suggest a good hand cream. Top Gun is a great move and has a lot of uses.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
James,I have the dryest hands on the planet....
I am constanly licking my fingers ... however this is not sanitary ,,lol
I use" Sportwik " on my fingers this fixes the problem for me. other hand lotions are also helpfull...
This is like saying my hands are too small,, SO A CLASSIC PASS WILL NOT WORK
we compensate to make things work

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
timofy
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of timofy
Would I be able to do this move since I am a left handed magician?
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1136 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi timofy,

Like all other sleight of hand the answer is definitely YES. Left handedness will be no obstacle. Top gun is a fine move but does demand plenty of practice to produce a smooth and deceptive outcome.

Regards,

Paul H
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 09:53, vinsmagic wrote:
James,I have the dryest hands on the planet....
I use" Sportwik " on my fingers this fixes the problem for me. vinny

Is "Sportwik" different or better than "Sortkwik" from office supply stores?
Thanks, off to buy 'Top Gun', E
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Same, it was a typo.

I bought Vinny's DVD and thought it was great.
Magic is a vanishing art.