The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: J. J. Sanvert dvds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Can someone please post a review of the new J. J. Sanvert dvd's?

Thanks
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
There is a brief demo over at l&l's site but I think these just came out.
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Does he have a book out? or coming out?
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
These are not out yet. They do not ship from the replicator until about Jan. 20th from what I have been told and then have to come to Murphy's and then go out to all of the shops/dealers that have ordered them. Wait until you see the L&L line up this year... some VERY exciting titles but cannot discuss those now.

Tim Trono
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Is the the same Jean Jacques Sanvert that had a pamphlet type book put out years ago by Magic Inc.? Maybe "Card Tricks French Style"?(There was another one by Jean Fare (sorry don't know how to do the acute accent). These were put out in the sixties I believe. I have been wondering what the French "style" is in these areas? Smooooth I bet!
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Foolsnobody,

I think that you're thinking of Bernard Bilis. His booklet, "Close Up, French Style", was publsihed by Magic Inc. in 1976.
"One arrow. One life."
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
For those of you who may not know, Jean-Jacques Sanvert was awarded the first prize in card magic at FISM in 1979.
"One arrow. One life."
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Mr. Sanvert has lecture notes "THE FRENCH CONNECTION-Routines that will CONNECT you with people". I got mine from H&R.
Included are UBIQUITY; INVISIBLE PALM PLUS PLUS; CANNIBALS; ROYAL ROLL-OVER ACES; TWIRLING DOUBLE; TABLE CHANGE; HIMBER CHANGE; TEACH ME A TRICK; DOLLARS PRODUCTION; DIRECT FLIGHT.
Frank
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
When I was deciding which shoots I could attend when this was shot, I was not inspired by the idea of yet another card guy. Louis kept egging me on to come and I have to thank him because I was very pleasantly surprised. I am sure the magic community will be likewise!

I am excited these DVDs are coming out, as they will garner Mr. Sanvert the respect and visibility he so rightly deserves. Your eyes will be opened as mine were that weekend.

Cheers,

Tom
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Frank, are the lecture notes any good?
maxrod88
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of maxrod88
The demo on llpub looks great.He has a nice fancy double lift and a nice card change which can be found in apocalyse along which other card magic from this great magician
max
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
The content of the notes can be found on the DVD's! It looks that Mr. Sanvert perform on the higher level of card magic. So you have to invest time for practise his routines. I have never seen Mr.Sanvert so I don't know if he his entertaining.
Some routines like the roll over aces needs table space, other like the invisible palm have a gambling theme, this are things that fit not so my conditions but so I don't use them, but it doesn't mean they are not so good.
I think for $10US it is a great value and I will order the first DVD to see him work this kind of conditions!
If you have more questions please let me know.
Frank
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
BTW -

Did anyone pick up, what I believe, was a MAJOR misprint in the brochure L&L sent out for this set?

Hard to imagine that it got by the proof readers.

sam
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Actually, there is no major (even in small letters) misprint in the new issue of L&L Presents.

Sorry to say, Steve, but you are in error. Perhaps I could recommend a proofreader? <grin>
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Jim,

I guess I could be guilty of seeing a statement that I THINK is SO wrong that it must be a mistake:

"There are many magicians who are excellent technicians and yet who can be screamingly funny....we can now add J.J. Sanvert to the list."

When counting up the magicians that qualify, I certainly didn't need to take off my shoes and actually had little need for the second hand. I have to think the author intended something like:

"There aren't many magicians who are excellent technicians and yet who can be screamingly funny....we can now add J.J. Sanvert to this short list." or something like that.

Obviously, only the author can say what he was trying to say (might have been you as far as I know...) and I can only lose the "proofreading" argument if what was intended is what was printed.

I will maintain, in any case, that the statement is just plain wrong.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter I realize, but my instincts required a response - especially to someone I admire as much as you.

Take care.....
Steve
cheeto4567
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of cheeto4567
Actually There is one on Page 13"all are new, facotry-sealed" Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I saw the demo of the DVD's on the L&L website. I think they are going to be a snooze. I'm sure he's a genius with cards, but his style is dull.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sc_wizard29
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of sc_wizard29
... and you made this brilliant deduction simply by watching a teaser ???
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Just Because he's boring, doesn't mean you have to be as well...Ive seen hundreds of performances of Eddy Fechter's trick " be honest what is it" and most versions are not too great....not because the trick has been played out by David Blaine copycats, but because the performers were weak... I watched David Williamson do this trick, and it blew me away, not because I allready kbnow the trick, but because of his delivery.
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
My DVD's arrived today and from what I have watched, they are very impressive. I really like his style and find him to be pretty funny. He does not come off as dry or boring at all. A lot of the tricks are routines comprised of several elements. I would recommend them to anyone just because of the card stuff alone. He really is a great card handler and teaches many great effects. The DVD also features several of his close up party tricks performed much like Richard Osterlind's informal tricks were around a counter area with people on all sides. This type of enviornment is very helpful to see performances in because it's what most of us run into every day. Anyway, I really like the DVD's and would recommend them without hesitation.