The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Best card magic video worth buying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
Ok I will probably get a whole bunch of... "well it depends on what you're looking for" kind of replies so I'm going to say this now.

I want a video that's worth the price and can show me things that will blow the toughest adult away. "Yea well who doesnt?!" (lol Peter M).

I'm kind of a "card stunt" finatic but is it worth it learning stunts?

Some videos I've heard of are:

- Ammar's easy to Master Card Miracles(which Volume) ? ? ?
- Mcbride's Card Manipulations
- Greg Wilson's Card Stunts

I've heard the last two videos I listed required a lot more practice then Ammar's video. Well I dont care I will practice day and night. Any reviews on the vids I just listed or maybe one that you guys know of. It would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Smile
Be Curious
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Those are all worth their price. I might hesitate to go into the McBride videos, unless you are prepared to get volumes 1-3. Learning stunts is worth it if you're a fanatic, of course. Do the things that you like.
Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
Card Stunts is one of my favourites and has some great effects. You also get to see Greg Wilson performing for a live audience...which I really enjoy.

The Card Stunts tape requires differing degrees of skill from average to difficult. He also shows you some good finger flicking stuff (but not that in depth).

I have all the Ammar tapes but not the McBride stuff. I still say get the card stunts - plus Greg is far mor interesting to watch vs Ammar.

Mitch
Mitch Solway
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Ammar's videos are great and very useful for learning the basics.

McBride's are more advanced, and in my opinion take more knowledge and work - but if you are beyond the basics - go for it.

My personal favorite of the three choices (although I think they all are first class and very useful) is Gregory Wilson's Card Stunts.

But like McBride's videos, to avoid indigestion, it is better consumed after a main course of the Basics.

Remember, no foundation is built three feet off the ground. Ground yourself and then grow!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
I agree with you guys... But how would I prepare for the card stunts video? Michael Ammar teaches sleights like double lift and Elmsley count. Greg Wilson shows different things that aren't taught in Ammar's videos. Then again I don't own the videos; this is what I heard so I could be wrong.

And Mitch, do you think I should be considering how interesting Greg is or how good a teacher he is? Well let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the feedback.
Be Curious
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Mcbride's videos mainly focus on stage card manipulation. The card stunts video focuses mainly on close-up/parlor.(I think.) Well, they are both awesome videos.

Best Regards,

Cole Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I personally think that Volume 2 of Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles is the best of the set.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
yea Kaliix thats what i heard too. But dont you have to get vol.1 before vol.2 ???
Be Curious
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
No, PR, you can pick and chose with the Ammar videos. They all have great stuff, but it doesn't build. I started with #5, then got #2. Get the one(s) that has the effects you want.
What is the color of magic?
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
oh...but what about the sleights? In volume 1 doesnt he teach the necessary sleights needed for volume 2???
Be Curious
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No, you can get whichever ones you want to.

When i got my first video's the magic store owner recommended Ammar 1,2,5. He thought those were the best. Since then, I picked up #6 and Card Stunts and Mcbride #1.

Mcbride is basically just flourishes and productions.

Card Stunts is advanced cardwork with some flashy stuff like "Phoenix Aces".

Ammar's has great tricks (borrowed from others) but little regarding slight of hand.
All very basic stuff. Great magic, however.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
thanks fstarsinic...so in your opinion which would should i pick up first...one of the Ammar volumes or Card Stunts?
Be Curious
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Not all cards (cards are well represented) is the "Ultra Cervon" tapes. Well shot, Bruce performs and teaches everything exceedingly well. A well-kept secret.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Drat! You tipped a great video Mr. Wakeman! Cramba! I wanted to keep it all to myself!

I have to agree that the Cervon tape is a great buy, as much as for the non-card effects on it as for the card magic. I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with this tape.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
PRMagic,

If you want some difficult stuff and are willing to practice as much as you say you are, I recommend Ray Kosby's "Impossible Card Magic." Incredible, incredible effects.

peace.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:
On 2002-08-12 14:06, PRmagic wrote:
thanks fstarsinic...so in your opinion which would should i pick up first...one of the Ammar volumes or Card Stunts?

Well that really depends on you. Do you want to learn card stunts or card tricks?

Answer that question and you'll know which one to get.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
hmmm...I think i'll get Ammar's volume 2, then later volume 1 then later card stunts. After reading all of your opinions i think thats what i decided to do. anyone think different?
Be Curious
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
706 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Quote:
On 2002-08-12 14:08, RandyWakeman wrote:
the "Ultra Cervon" tapes. ... A well-kept secret.

Can anybody give a short review/opinion of the Cervon tapes on which he performs material from the Vernon Chronicles?

Denis
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
Quote:
On 2002-08-12 16:01, Denis Behr wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-08-12 14:08, RandyWakeman wrote:
the "Ultra Cervon" tapes. ... A well-kept secret.

Can anybody give a short review/opinion of the Cervon tapes on which he performs material from the Vernon Chronicles?

Denis

I took mine back and ask for my money back. I was so upset. This is just me. I would say every thing Daryl has out. I would look at Doc Easons tapes, He not only has some good stuff there in his videos, he gives motavation and ideas for what it is you are doing. Gary Kurtz that's all I need say. Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
I wouldn't compare the Cervon/Vernon Chronicles tapes with the "Ultra Cervon" tapes. Two completely different animals.

The "Ultra Cervon" tapes consist of material that Bruce has used professionally for years- and it shows. He does a fabulous job on them.