The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Advance Card Control Allan Ackerman vs encyclopedia of Card Sleights by Daryl :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Hello Fellow Magicians,
I have encounterd a situation that stands before me.
If you have seen both or one of these sets please post your experiences. I always wanted the "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" for years. Just never got the money to. But once I did, I saw "Advance Card Control" so it's a hard decision at the moment! But I would rather want peoples decisions and counts on the DVDS or Videos. Thank you very much!

Kevin Vu
Seattle,Wa
tensai
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of tensai
I have Daryl's Encyclopidia its a very good set of videos and he is a very good teacher.I think the entire set is over 12 hours long so that's a lot of magic and will keep you busy for a while.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
I strongly recommend that you do a search in the "video review" section of this forum as this topic has been discussed at lenght before.

First you should look at the table of content of both series, and make sure that they have what you are looking for.

My personal opinion, as I have both series, is that Ackerman teaches while Daryl shows. Which means that Ackerman goes into more details in his explanations. And I also do not like the fact that Daryl uses Bee back cards, as it makes a few things harder to see clearly with the lack of a white border (like Bicycle cards for example).

Do a search!!!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
I would like to add something to that Ronnie. First of all, Ackerman and Daryl both teach. The difference is that Ackerman teaches technique. In other words, he teaches different sleights, deals, subtleties, etc. as opposed to Daryl. Daryl teaches tricks. These are good tricks. He teaches them to show different ways of revealing cards. Now you see the difference between the two series.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Trini Montes
Trini Montes
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Trini,

With all due respect you are referring to a different set of tapes. The question relative to Daryl's tapes are regarding his 8 tape series on card SLEIGHTS. The series you are referring to is another one altogether, a 5 tape series on card REVELATIONS.
Coram Deo
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Ooops, Steven, you are absolutely correct. Sorry. Not sure how to edit my post. My mistake.

Trini
Trini Montes
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
I like Ackerman and his boyish looks. A great technician but Daryl is also a PERFORMER and everything he does is a fuh-delight to watch. I think I miss some of that in Ackerman. With Daryl one can not only learn the trick but --if you need to copy a great presentation- that as well, until one does it enough so that one's own personality creeps in,
Marty K
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Thank you Everyone!
I'm just a bit lost on what I really want. It seems like the two different sets of videos are closely alike. I was looking on the table of contents and Ackerman teaches you tricks to go with your new slieghts. But Daryl seems to just put out with just slieghts.

This is a hard decision...... I'll have to just bite my tongue and get what I always wanted and grab the daryl's encyclopedia of slieghts AND his card REVELATIONS. =) hehehhe I know it's going to be a lonnng time for me. But I'm starting school. So it'll ease the stress a bit from school hehe

Thank you All.

Kevin Vu
Seattle,Wa

P.S. You can still post your reviews of the tape. I'm not 100% satisfy on my opinion hehehe
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Don't get his card revelations DVDs!
I like Daryl, but this set is a waste of money in my opinion. Get yourself a good book instead.
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Hello AGIAN!

I was thinking it over a bit today. ABout the Card Revelations. I think I should think of my own style. But Overall I'm still going towards the Encyclopedia of Card sleights.

Kevin Vu
Seattle,Wa
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I would not recommend Revelations by Daryl either. His sleight set is incredible on dvd for the most part. Ackerman on the other hand does covers some things better, such as false dealing.

At times Ackerman covers things as hurried as Daryl, offering little real insight or detail into the sleights. The sets are just visual references for gaining knowledge, not the end-all, be-all of learning. I do recommend both of these sets however.
Drive Carefully
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Haha Thank you very much!

I'm still worried that Ackerman's set is better. I'm a bit scared. Today is when I'm buying my Daryl set I think.

Kevin Vu
Seattle,Wa
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Why not get both? It certainly wouldn't hurt to.
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Pants99,

I would love to have both it wouldn't hurt. But it's deciding to get which set first really. I should have said that.

Kevin VU
Seattle,Wa
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
I want to get the Ackerman series but that won't be until I have completely mastered Daryl's stuff. I don't regret getting Daryl's set even though he doesn't show tricks like Ackerman. My advice is: just take a dive- you won't be disappointed with any choice you make. Hope this helps

Don't forget to buckle up.

Pants
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Pants99,
Thank you! I acually took a dive into Daryl's stuff a minute ago. I bought the whole series. That will keep me busy during my school year and my life. So thanks for all who have helped me on this decision It was a hard one. =) Really it was! But like Pants said I don't think Ill get the Ackerman series til I master or complete my goals off of Daryl's Series. Thank you all once agian!

Kevin Vu
Seattle,Wa
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Daryl does take trick breaks on his set so you will learn some effects. More importantly, sleights are the language of magic and that is the focus here.

I would add the Ackerman Pakming dvd and the false deals dvd to really round out your purchase.
Drive Carefully
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have not had the pleasure of seeing Ackerman's videos. However, I do own both of Daryl's sets. Having read some of the comments above, I would say that I have enjoyed both sets. Keep in mind that I use them as reference material only.

I only learn a particular sleight when I see an application for it. I don't see any reason in spending the time to learn something I may never use.

The Revelation videos are great, because many times I'll be asked to do something and get handed a less than desireable deck of cards. A good control and any one of these revelations and I'm back in business.

In fact, there are several of the discoveries that I use in my day-to-day performances. Don't underestimate their value.

As an aside, I received an e-mail from somebody who saw me do a revelation (that's in the series) 30 years ago! Unbelievably, he remembered me and the revelation. He searched me out just to tell me that he was still fooled and thinking of the effect. He added that he had asked several magicians about how to do it and none could tell him.... That should give you a hint as to the quality of some of the revelations in the series.

Your mileage may vary.
Coram Deo
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
DARN! I found a better deal than the one I found on Elmwood magic. Daryl's personal site is 120$ shoot and then he has this other deal for like 109$ for 6 of the dvds of encyclopedia of card sleights and his set of card revelations =( I should have waited. Thanks to the person of the personal message!

Kevin Vu
SEattle,Wa
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Not to burst your bubble but these types of dvds are cumbersome on vhs and there are many who feel that they are unwatchable. The deals that you are referin g to are for the vhs versions. The dvd format is what brings these "encyclopedias" to life. I urge you to cancel your order and only buy the DVD VERSIONS!!! If you do not have a dvd player, then take $50 bucks and invest in one.
Drive Carefully