The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: My Review For "The Very Best Of Jay Sankey Volume I". (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
This is the only VHS copy of this series of tapes. The others are DVD's. Let me tell you I got all three volumes, and the stuff is killer and he's funny to boot. I rate on a 1-10 scale, with ten being perfect. I judge on the tricks, method, and video quality and production. I rate this Volume like the others over-all a (9).

1. Diehard Opener - This is a basic pick a card show the wrong card then lo and behold the wrong card turns into the right card, but it's done with flourishes. This wasn't my favorite on the tape. I like Bill Malone's Favorite Opener better. The flourishes are done nice (I like the LePaul Hop Spread), but I'm not big into flourishes. I like in the explanation his explaining of his performance philosophy in walk around situations. I rate this a (6.5).

2. Twice As Nice - This is a neat reversal trick, done in a very unique way. It's pretty visual. This is actually one I have performed. I rate this a (7).

3. Identifying Features - I really liked this one. I've been saying I'm going to add it to my list of tricks, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The method is very easy for such a high-impact trick. Basically two Bills switch place. I rate it a (8).

4. Forgery - This is another one of Jay's killer marking on cards type of trick. It's not very hard to do either. The ending is killer. I rate it a (8.5).

5. Erdnase Aces - This is a very sweet trick. I love the switch in it, and I use it all the time now. It's kind of similiar to Twice as Nice. The Aces basically melt to the top of the deck. I rate it a (7.5).

6. Smuggler Aces - This is a very visual open traveler's type of plot done with Aces. I particularly like the ending. Aces basically dissapear to wind-up in the middle of the deck. I rate it a (8).

7. Prediction Impossible - This is one of the BEST on this tape. This here, he is very funny. I just love the banter between him and Rachel (Ratchet)...lol. She gives it right back. It's hilarious. I think Rachel and the Blonde next to her are very good looking too...lol. Anyway this is one trick that I perform as well, I just do it differently as far as the r****** goes. Basically he inserts a card into the deck with a big black X on it's back. The person names a card, and lo, and behold it's the one card with the X. I rate this a (9.5).

8. Mexican Jumping Coins - This is a good one too, although I'm not much into coins. This is a coins acroos type of routine. I like his Mr. Clean Coins Across Better though. I rate this a (8).

9. Stirring Silver - This is a nice borrowed ring penetrating a spoon (borrowed too if you like) routine. I have the first part down, and have played with it a little. I just need to worn on the second half of the trick. Like I said it's good and visual, and not terribly hard either. I rate it a (8.5).

10. Nest Egg - This is a VERY WELL DONE borrowed ring into a nest of boxes trick. I don't know why I have yet to prepare the stuff to do this one. It's not terribly hard either. This is also one of the better ones on the tape. I rate it a (9.5).

11. Skin Deep - This is a very visual type of two card transposition. I was doing this one before seeing the tape. I now do it, but I use my erdnase/side-steal color change instead. that's listed in the secret sessions forum BTW. I don't care for the type of color change used. I DO like the idea of using a color-change instead od doing it the old way. Because of this routine, like I said I use a color change now too. I rate this a (8.5).

12. Just Joking - A very cool, visual detective type of trick using jokers. Your audience will gasp. I liked this trick a lot. This one will take some practice like the one after this trick. The ending is killer. I rate it a (9).

13. Stuck up - A very excellent trick, that really shows Jay's creative side. Basically two jokers are stapled together, a card is then chosen, the lo, and behold, at the end, the card selected is between the two stapled Jokers. VERY, very good. Like I said this may take some practice as all will really to get them down good. I rate this a (9.5).

I think out of all of the tapes, that Jay is at his funniest on this volume. The tricks are very entertaining and top-notch. My only complaint, being Catholic, is some of his (Satan) humor, and his retarded comment. That aside. I LOVE this tape, and always get a laugh while watching it. His phone gag is hilarious too...lol. Out of curiousity, I wonder wear those audience members come from. Are they paid to be there. Some look like models. Anyway a great tape, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Ed!

Checking out your other reviews, now. This is VERY informative!

Doug
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Great Review. I love it when people take the time and effort to give an educated opinion for the rest of us to benefit from. Thank you very much, Ed.

By the way, I got this DVD for Christmas last year. I loved it. I perform Skin Deep and Prediction Impossible ALL THE TIME. Personally I think it is the best of the three part series, but Vol. 3 is also very good.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey