The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Expert Coin magic vs Ultimate Coin magic...(advice) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Are both sets by David Roth good?
Which should I buy first?
What are your opinions, though I already know whats going to be the answer.

Answer: Anything by Roth is gold.... Smile

But seriously which do you prefer for me to get first?
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Get his Expert Coin magic first.

It goes over basics, where as Ultimate Coin magic goes over gaffs, okito box work, Coins and Silk, and some unique items of Roth's own design.

Expert is where to start, but once you feel you've put your time in for the Expert series, buy the Ultimate Roth series next.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I agree with James.

Expert Series first.

Both are great.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
This is why I love magic so much!

people are always helping you out!

thanks for the advice guys Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I'd start with the Roth book if you haven't gone through it already. Then tackle the videos.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Ralph,

Except for Expert Coin Magic videos volumes 1-3, Ultimate Coin Magic consists of six other Expert Coin Magic video volumes plus David's Classic Showpieces and Live in Sacramento videos.

So when you ask to compare you need to be specific - most of Ulimate Coin Magic is the Expert Coin Magic series. (Again except for Expert Coin Magic Vol. 1-3).
Click to visit:
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
As I am currently debating between the two, this seems like an appropriate thread to keep going.

Thanks in advance for any further input any mave have.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Expert Coin Magic teaches sleights and stuff but for ultimate coin magic, they teach you how to use gaffed coins effectively. Altho there is one DVD on flourishes and one that's on bar bets and stuff.

I would sugget getting his Expert Coin Magic first if you are beiginning or if you already have some gaffs, get his ultimate coin magic series
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Expert Coin Magic.

You should also check out the Stars of Magic DVD #8 & #9. Lots of great stuff for cheap.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2747 Posts

Profile of sethb
My suggestion is going to be a little different. I would get Volume 1 of Expert Coin Magic, which covers all the basic sleights and should keep you busy for a long time. And I would also get Volumes 1 and 2 of Ultimate Coin Magic. Volume 1 of UCM covers several different coin gaffs and their proper handling; Volume 2 of UCM covers the Okito Coin Box and some coin/silk effects.

With this mixture, you will have sleights plus gaffs and a few interesting coin routines. Once you master all of this material, you could pick up Volumes 2 and 3 of Expert Coin Magic, which cover intermediate and advanced sleights as well as some of David's trademark effects. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
Thanks a lot for the detailed response, Seth. Much appreciated.