The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: What video is better for a street performance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
What do you think is a better for street performance?

Dan Harlan's Rubber Band Magic or
Tom Mullica's Expert Cigarette Magic?
Steven Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Wrexham, North Wales.
191 Posts

Profile of Steven Evans
I think more people carry around Cigarettes than rubber bands. And it would probably make it more powerful if you used their 'ciggys'.
'The impossible I do immediately;
Miracles take a little longer'
-David Berglas.
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
I don't think either are appropriate for street performing. At least if you use the same definition of street performing that I do.

To me, the primary goal of street performing is to get money by passing a hat. To get the most amount of money, you need to attract and entertain the most amount of people. In other words, a large crowd.

To entertain a large crowd in a street setting, close up tricks such as rubber band effects or cigarette effects will not work. Better to invest in Whit Hyden's material, the Cellini tapes, or other material.

On the other hand, if you just want to do Blaine-style magic on the street for people in small groups of 1-3 without worrying too much about maximizing your income... well, then either of these tapes would probably be just fine.

Steve
London, Ontario
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

What's the name of Cellini's video?
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
The name is Cellini's Art Of Street Performing.
But as I understood you are not asking exactly for street but more for strolling performance and the best for me is Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot".
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Dynamite Assassin - what do you mean by "street magic" then? Are you looking to do a show in front of a crowd or stroll performing one-on-one or in small groups?
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Just go strolling for me. I don't want to put up a large crowd. Just strolling magic. It's hard to put up a show in the streets of Japan.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

I got the video of Tom Mullica volume 12 on cigarettes. I was wondering if instead of a cigarette I can do the routine with a cap of a BIC pen..
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
It you want to do a pen cap routine then check out Mark Wilson.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

What does Mark Wilson have?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
The problem with Tom Mullica is that there is a real risk of burning yourself. The only person I've ever heard of that performs his routine besides Mullica is Tomas Medina (The cardiologist deck, performer on The Exchange) and that's because he does geek magic (and not just cards and coins). It's a very entertaining routine, but not for everyone.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Of the 21 or so tracks on the Mullica tape over half can be done with just about any object. A tube of lipstick, an ink pen or just it’s cap, a pocketknife, a Bic lighter. Learn the slights and then develop a flowing routine using them.

In fact you don’t have to use a real lit cigarette for much of what is on the tape. Ok, smoke rings requires a lit cigarette and maybe a couple of other bits.

This is NOT the Mullica cigarette-eating act (that’s on a later tape), although tonguing is discussed and taught on this tape.

DA, you seem to be floundering around looking for “what’s best” between this and that. What is your act? How do you envision what you want to perform? I think a good exercise for you would be for you to sit down and outline what you want your act to look like. How it should start, what should follow, and how it should end. Then plug the tricks in that support the act.

You want to start with what? A rubber band trick? A cigarette production or trick?

From reading your posts it seems like you want a number of tricks to simply show off your skills. Have you thought about how you are going to entertain an audience (even an audience of one)? Or are you simply going to walk around and “wow” them with your cool skill?

I could be of more help if I really knew where you were going.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I'd go with Mullica all the way ! unless your into rubberbands, than I'd go with harlan's band shark Smile
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

What I want to do in my routine is start with a mind reading trick that involves a pen, then I do RECAP, then I use the cigarette manipulation skills in the Mullica video using the pen cap..
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

I want to use the pen cap for manipulations after I do RECAP..
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Many suggest Mark Wilson videos but I can't seem to find what video since he has produced many. Can anybody give me the title of his video?
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

What volume is it in Mark Wilson videos? Smile
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Mullica, because people on the street smoke more than they play with rubberbands Smile
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Maybe they meant Greg Wilson with the pen reference you made.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Oh yeah! Greg Wilson's RECAP. Anyone here knows a routine I can do after I perform RECAP?