The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Tommy Wonder or Brainstorm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Hi everyone, I was wondering which set would be a better purchase John Guastaferro's Brainstorm or the Tommy Wonder Set? I did do a search and the reviews are all possitive, but if it were between the 2 sets, which is better? Thanks in advance
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
If you are a serious student of magic, Tommy Wonder's Dvd is choise. Tommy teaches not just tricks but even the psychology, choreopgraphy, even the emotions involved. Tommy's Dvd is Choc Full! From close up to Stand up.

John's Dvd is also great but I would have to pick Tommy. Just make sure you get John's dvd too later on.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Anything by Tommy Wonder is worth looking at. Although I haven't read his books yet, I hear they are much better than the dvds.
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Tommy wonder would definately be the choice. However, some of the material you will not be able to perform because it is impossible to make or you just wont go thru the trouble to make it althought the effects are phenomenal. Eg, The Ring, The Watch and The Wallet, Nest of Boxes.
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Brainstorm without a doubt would be my choice. Lots of startling but quite easy card magic. Tommy Wonder stuff is good, looks like real magic but I guess it won't be performed by 99.99% of those who've watched it. Just my view though!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree with Gary. If you want to buy videos just to be able to say you've seen a magic legend, go with Wonder. If you want to buy a video with practical and creative magic that you can/will actually perform, there is no doubt that John G's videos are the best of the year in that category. (tied with the Alexander dvds). I have the Books of Wonder and have said this before on this board. Sure it is great looking through the eyes of someone like Tommy Wonder, but unless you are Bob Villa, forget about it. Even Bob would struggle with some of these creations.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Tommy Wonder, hands down.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thanks a lot guys. I respect and appreciate all of your opinions & advise.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
The reviews on both DVD sets have been good.

Yes, I have heard that some of the effects on the Tommy Wonder DVD's would require an engineers degree to create.

BUT....

I have also heard that the value in these DVD's is in Tommy's thinking about magic/effects/etc.

So....

If you want a set you can use to help improve everything magical about you through thinking, practicing, application, and reflection, then the Tommy Wonder DVD's are for you.

If you are after a little bit more "instant gratification", then go with the Brainstorm set. Either seem like a good buy, but the Wonder DVD's will last you far longer through your career.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tommy, Tommy, TOMMY!!!!!!

John is excellent also, however.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Staggerlee
View Profile
New user
Chicago
61 Posts

Profile of Staggerlee
I'd go with Brainstorm. If you're looking for some hard hitting stuff that you can actually perform go with it. Wonders stuff is unbelievable, but not very practical--for me at least. If your new or looking for more tricks for your arsenal--go with Brainstorm.
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
Well, I haven't seen Tommy's DVDs, but I have both of the books, and I can say that some of his material requires a lot of preperation and construction, but he has some other material that is easily acceptable, such as Deja Revurse. While I haven't seen Tommy perform most of his work, I'm sure the DVDs are just as good as the book, if not better, for the reason that you can watch him perform his tricks. So, after all is said and done, my vote is for Mr. Wonder.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John's are all cards ( that's ok ).

Tommy shows why he is Master and revered.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I am going to watch the performance segments on my Wonder DVD's right now!!!!
Drive Carefully
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Again I think this boils down to what you prefer in a magic video/dvd/book. If you like theory, Wonder is for you. I personally hate theory regardless of who it is so I prefer dvd's with practical mindblowing material. John G delivers here. Creative thinking that produces practical material that is different from what you have seen before. Take my views with a grain of salt however. After 20 years in this biz I'm slightly jaded and prefer my theory over the theories of others. To each his own I guess.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thanks again everyone. I do like theory and (obviously like all of us) like mindblowing effects, so I just purchased the Brainstorm set. I will puchase Tommys set soon (after Banachek's new dvds). Take care.
jaybaby
View Profile
New user
Australia
87 Posts

Profile of jaybaby
Yeah, Brainstorm is full of great useable material