The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: On the Spot *my thoughts* (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
I thought Greg was a very entertaining teacher, performer... and hey! He teaches well and I love the way he discusses about angles, timing, offbeat and onbeat, and how he talks about making the bigger motions cover the smaller motions, etc...

This isn't a video for those looking towards giving their fingers a rest.

It is however something for the people who are willing to take a journey into some of the more knuckle busting applications of sleight of hand manipulations of objects... but what the hey there are also the reasonably doable, easy routines such as Head Trip or the Glossy Finish.

Grade A-

in my book

;)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
jaybaby
View Profile
New user
Australia
87 Posts

Profile of jaybaby
Yeah, I love this DVD. Just watching how he performs for real people in an uncontrolled environment is invaluable... and he is funny as hell
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Its interesting how he says "You can expose it or you can't" in the "preludic" stunt he does before the proper effect for Ring Fright

;)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Bone
View Profile
Loyal user
Totally lost...
264 Posts

Profile of Bone
YUP ! all of Wilson's stuffs are AWESOME, no doubt about it! he's a natural born entertainer. The man full of respect !

Highly recommend his other meterials too.

Th3.
Email: bone@boneho.com

myspace.com/boneho
youtube.com/boneho
twitter.com/boneho
facebook.com/boneho

Official Website:
www.boneho.com
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Just like to commend Greg on his ethics...... he mentions the creators of the ideas and sleights he mentions Apollo Robbins, Williamson....... and of course Slydini when he discussed his classic.

Thou shalt credit and acknowledge if thou intend to make thy instructional video

:wavey:
- Guy Hollingworth
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I'd have to say that Greg is one of my favorites...ALL his stuff is great (though his new DVD pyrotechnic pasteboards wasn't as good as the other stuff he's put out).

If I were to name any magician most influential to the way I perform, I'd say it'd be Greg.
Logic Defied
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think he's due for a new release. I hope he does a coin DVD!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
BathTub
View Profile
Regular user
Wellington, NZ
102 Posts

Profile of BathTub
There are murmurs that Ring Leader should be out on DVD soon, which is what I am waiting for.
Nigel McNaughton aka 'BathTub'
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Quote:
think he's due for a new release. I hope he does a coin DVD!

yeah, there are stuff I've read from books that I felt were "dated" but when I saw Greg do them (these coin subtleties or moves themselves), I realized that maybe there's no such thing as "dated" as long as the performer carries it with precision and crackerjack psychology...
- Guy Hollingworth
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
I also enjoy watching Greg perform. I have not seen his On The Spot DVD yet.
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
I really enjoyed this dvd. I haven't developed the courage to try the over the head ditches yet, but very well taught IMO. Wil lthe next dvd also be a joint venture with Penguin?
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
The risky part is making the objects you use "talk" prematurely....

and of course 'ya need to have sincere spectators who won't tipoff the method to your "victim"...

Head Trip is fun

;)
- Guy Hollingworth
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I love everything that I have from greg. He is probably my second favorite performer, next to Bill Malone.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I love Greg Wilson. All of his material is great. I love his style. Definitely buy these DVD's and anything else he puts out. There aren't many people in magic that will cause me to purchase something just based on the fact that it's coming from them. Greg is one of those people.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Hmmmmm..... not all of his stuff is for everybody... e.g in Pyrotechnic Pasteboards he assumes you're not a novice card handler.....

and in his 3/4 across he assumes you're no longer a "naive" prestidigitator but someone who's been into it (prestidigitation) for awhile that you can handle the move...... heck, I think he assumes that you have coin magic videos or have hands that have the "knack" of what's required to do sleights with coins.....

but his performances are top notch.

but when you speak of telling other people to "imitate" his style..... that's another story.
- Guy Hollingworth
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I love all Greg's stuff.

I really like it on the "On the spot" DVD when he gets busted by the girl. That's real world and he just flowed with it. That in itself is invaluable.

I can't wait for his next release.
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
jaybaby
View Profile
New user
Australia
87 Posts

Profile of jaybaby
His hundy 500 is cool too
locas
View Profile
New user
Singapore
54 Posts

Profile of locas
What I like about his dvd is his live performance, nothing beats looking at pros doing it on the street and he sure is funny.