The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Andrew Mayne DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Boroballa
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Boroballa
At weirdthings.com Andrew Mayne sells his magic dvds. I read the descrptions on them and was like what. Some of the stuff it says he teaches you to do on these dvd sounded way to good to be true, like hammering nails in your head, and slicing paper thrugh your arm ad sneezing up a brick, eating a light bulb? And he also had a whole dvd teachign you a bunch of different leviations. Are these DVD's for real and is the magic taught on them practical becasue the DVDs's were cheap and I wouldn't think they would be that cheap if they teach just one thing they were describing you could do after watching them effectively. Just wodering hw hese dvd's are?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
As far as I know he only has three DVDs out. One is the Wizard School, a beginner's DVD themed around the Harry Potter movies. The second one is Shock FX which got pretty good reviews here at the Magic Café. The third one has just been released and it's a one effect DVD called Ghost Bills. There is a thread going on about it in the tricks review section.

The others which are cheap are manuscripts and that is why they are cheaper. You can find a lot of reviews here on the Café and generally people agree that his stuff is simple, visual and stunning. I got a glimpse of his Shock FX DVD and my friend used his head chest on me during a show and all I can say is that I like them.
Yours,

Ivan
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
The items you named are not DVDs. They are books. Touching Sky, and Mayhem, I own them both. I recomend anything by Mayne.
The great Sandwich!
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
The effects you list are available, as the user above me has said, are books not DVDS. However, if you do buy them they may not be what you were expecting, despite the general consensus on the board being that his stuff is simple and effective, I found it slightly disappointing.
zatara
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of zatara
Andrew Mayne is one of my favorites. New thinking and yes extremely practical.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Infusion is one of his DVD releases. Practical, Fun and easy to learn.

Check Tricks and effects for sale for a current listing at a great price!
restaurant3000
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of restaurant3000
Andrew Mayne rocks, looking forward to his new releases (it's been a few months now hasn't it)!

I've performed many, many of his effects at Children's Shows (that's what I'm being paid for mostly at the moment).
I also recommend researching his material if your looking for improvised effects.
Booyah!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3836 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2004-06-13 23:52, Boroballa wrote:
At weirdthings.com Andrew Mayne sells his magic dvds. I read the descrptions on them and was like what. Some of the stuff it says he teaches you to do on these dvd sounded way to good to be true, like hammering nails in your head, and slicing paper thrugh your arm ad sneezing up a brick, eating a light bulb? And he also had a whole dvd teachign you a bunch of different leviations. Are these DVD's for real and is the magic taught on them practical becasue the DVDs's were cheap and I wouldn't think they would be that cheap if they teach just one thing they were describing you could do after watching them effectively. Just wodering hw hese dvd's are?

Practical? Depends upon where you are performing. I have used 2 of his effects and was very satisfied because they matched my venue and the ability to perform them was present. However, I also have several that does not match my venue and was good reading and learning. You can't perform all magic just anyplace and his seems to be a little specialized but worth the review to see if it will match your venue. I have one of his effects as a favorite and think it works better for stage or parlor but could actually be close-up if modified slightly. Like all magic, you can learn something from it even if you never use it or it isn't for you. I've studied thousands of effects in my lifetime that I have never used but the few chosen have been enhanced by the knowledge gathered from some of the others.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie