The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Simon Lovell - The Madness Behind the Methods :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Magic Makers has done it again! These fellows are really serious about producing quality, useful videos. Case in point -- their new Simon Lovell three DVD set, "The Madness Behind the Methods."

This features the zany antics of Simon Lovell, a pack of playing cards, a Sharpie Marker, some coins, a paper napkin and Rob Stiff, president and CEO of Magic Makers, Inc.

This is an excellent set of DVD's. There are about 30 routines on this set. I say "about 30," because it is difficult to say exactly how to catgorize a couple of items. However, whether it is 29, 30 or 31, it's immaterial. All of the stuff on the DVD set is useful, interesting and, with few exceptions, within the capabilities of almost anyone watching the DVD.

I say "with few exceptions," because there are items that will require a pass, a one-hand top palm, a top change and a classic force. BUT Simon teaches the best ways to do these things. And for me, the best way to learn any sleight is to have a routine to use it in.

The material itself runs the gamut from card revelations, coin productions from cards, cards in impossible locations, sandwich effects, collectors effects, zany comedy bits, to a poignant construction of a rose from a paper cocktail napkin. (or serviette, if you happen to be from the UK.)

More importantly, Simon explains what makes magic magical. He explains how YOU can become a magician, instead of just a fellow who does tricks. He also explains the timing and emotional content of each piece.

I've known Simon for almost four years. I worked a couple of shows with him at the TAOM convention in 2000. He has his own style, and it comes through perfectly on these DVD's. It will be tempting to copy his style (or to "channel" Simon, as Eugene Burger says). Don't do it. Find your own style.

If you do cards at all, and you want to make your card magic more magical and entertaining, this is a great place to start. You will definitely find something of use here -- well detailed and well explained. And all the items are carefully credited, as well.

This set is dedicated to the late Derek Dingle, who was a friend of Simon. Derek passed away just a few days before the taping session.

Very highly recommended.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill, thanks for that great review. If Simon wasn't doing these effects, would they be as strong? I understand he has quite a personality and wondered if that's what sold the material.

I know guys that put people to sleep with their ambitious card routine and other s that create a miracle with nickels to dimes. some are just better performers.

Thanks!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
Bill:

Any overlap of routines from his man of danger series?
Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Chris:

Simon could do a simple card revelation and have you ROTFLYAO, as you well know. The real value in this set is not so much the routines, themselves, but the thinking behind them. This is explained in minute detail. There are tips on the card to wallet that are extremely valuable, for example, that overcome some of the basic problems with such routines.

Park:

I don't know. I don't have his man of danger series.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks, Bill!!!!! I'm a card to wallet freak, so you've got me curious!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts