The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Paul Cummins' "Up In Smoke" DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hey guys, I just got Paul's DVD. It is a re-release of his video Up In Smoke. This is one of my personal favorite coin magic videos. If you did not catch it the first time around, don't miss it this time.

I just re-featured my review of it at Enjoy.

Dan
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, there are some good things on this. I got the video on Dan's recommendation.

Got to like that Gallo Pitch!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I have to say that, with all due respect to Paul Cummins, who is a fine magician, I didn't really care for Up in Smoke. My reason is that the routining and sleights seem to be designed for a performing situation where a few spectators are standing close to the magician and looking down on his hands. This "hospitality room" situation is not one that I would ever perform in, so I found that I had little interest in learning these particular moves. For those who do perform in that situation, Paul's coin work is wonderful.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
Unfortunately, I have yet to purchase the DVD though I did see it, I passed it over for the lecture notes. I see it was a bad decision.

Ah well,
Matthias
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I had the good fortune of seeing some of the material performed by Paul at a party, right after the video was released. This stuff will knock your socks off! What I saw fooled me, badly.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I waited a long time for the DVD version to be released, and I finally got it a few weeks ago during his lecture tour. I highly recommend this video to anyone who really wants to learn how to backclip. This coin work is very visual.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo

I like it!

Mike
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Up in Smoke is one of my favorite videos. Unfortunately, my fingers are too skinny for the back clipping he does. For those of your with meat on your fingers, boy, you can do amazing stuff with the routines on that tape.

-- Frank
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 19:29, mike gallo wrote:

I like it!

Mike

Sure, YOU would...dang son of a pitch.

-Jim

Quote:
On 2004-06-14 19:33, Frank L. wrote:
Up in Smoke is one of my favorite videos. Unfortunately, my fingers are too skinny for the back clipping he does. For those of your with meat on your fingers, boy, you can do amazing stuff with the routines on that tape.

-- Frank

I believe Dan addresses this problem a bit in his review. There are solutions.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Sure, YOU would...dang son of a pitch.

-Jim

Smile

Mike
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately, my fingers are even too skinny for the tips Paul has suggested on the video. I don't have enough meat to grip the coin securely. Smile What I would do for fatter fingers! But I will definitely have to work on the tips Dan has posted in his review (nice work, Dan!).

-- Frank
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
This DVD is worth its weight in gold, hard stuff to master but well worth it in the long run, Pauls matrix effect is one of the best that I have seen...
neves710
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of neves710
Anything paul puts out buy.
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
This is an excellent dvd... I think the insights on misdirection, alongside excellent teaching technique, makes this a must have. Dan's review is spot on.
If you are having trouble with the backclip... some material can be used with the goshman pinch . . . the reason for backclipping, I think is only an issue of angles.
also, order the dvd direct from Paul - he's great.
stilson
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of stilson
If you ever get a chance to see Paul lecture, don't miss it...he rocks!