The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Best card manipulation dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
421 Posts

Profile of Paradise
I am looking to learn the pass double lift etc, what is the best dvd to teach this
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I learned a lot of the fundamentals from Richard Kaufman's Basic Card Technique and Pass Video. They are two seperate videos. I enjoyed them, but my friend found Kaufman to be annoyinng.

Daryl and Allan Ackerman both have series detailing more card technique then you'll ever use.

The Card College is in e-book form, and I believe that there are video clips on it. Please correct me if I'm mistaken about it.

You may want to do a search on "card sleights" rather than "card manipulation." "Card manipulation" has seemingly grown into its own art.

K.C. Ushijima
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
You need to learn sleights not manipulation. Daryl and Ackerman have DVD's that teach sleights only. Daryl does not teach the pass on his set(only the LePaul Spread Pass).

Get Greg Wilson's DoubleTake to learn only about doubles!!

Card College volumes 1 & 2 would be a great start along with Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue if you want to try books.
Drive Carefully
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I agree that Richard Kaufmann's 'On the Pass' is a fantastic resource for learning this sleight.

Brian.
Brian
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
421 Posts

Profile of Paradise
I basically use mentalism, but I want to be able to learn a good pass and double lift for some effetcs I have in mind
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
If you're serious about your DL, then I highly recommend the Double Take video by Greg Wilson. There isn't an alternative to this video in order to learn a strong DL.

Regarding many of your other sleights, I recommend Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman. I've seen it recently and wish it was out when I started. It also holds 4 effects, 3 of which I find distracting, but the true value lies in Oz teaching you many of the basics that will leave you set for quite a while.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Actually, Ackerman's DVDs show tricks using the sleights, while Daryl just has sleights. Both are excellent, however.
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
I would recomend starting with Richard Kaufmans basic card technique and then moving on from there.
marcus2
View Profile
New user
uk
78 Posts

Profile of marcus2
I reccomend you the paris sessions by Derek Dingle he explains the worlds fastest pass and does go into a lot detail. This is only available on ntsc version.
claffeyb
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of claffeyb
For the pass, I would recommend Peter Cassford's "Pass With Care". In "Born to Perform", Oz Pearlman spends a little over 2 minutes on the classic pass, but although he is very good as a teacher, the camera does not show from the magicians viewpoint but mostly from the spectator's viewpoint. Cassford's "Pass With Care" not only shows from both angles, but allows you to loop the DVD to show a move over and over. He also does a 10 second pass that shows you that it doesn't have to be fast. This is the DVD that finally gave me a decent pass. But note - this is not an angle proof pass. You still have to misdirect if you are aurrounded to cover the left side.

For the double lift, I would recommend Crash Course in Cards 2. Brad spends almost 3 minutes on double lifts in Crash Course in Cards 1, but 2 has more on it. His strongpoints in all his videos is that you see the magician's hands very closeup, and he usually spends a long time going over things until you are fed up with him. In Crash Course 2 he spends almost 10 minutes on a pushoff double and then another 4 minutes on a standard double lift. The pass is well done but really only a demo.

Although Pass With Care is a single move DVD, Born To Perform and Crash Course 1 & 2 are excellent for learning many controls, flourishes, tricks and controls.

These fellows all teach very well.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Daryl's encyclopedia of card sleights 1 - 8

so much information on these dvd's....everyday I pop at least 1 in and watch and watch!