The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review wanted: Allan Ackerman DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr Jim
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dr Jim
I was wondering if there were any reviews for Advanced Card Control Series DVDs 1-8 by Allan Ackerman.

Thanks!

Jim
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I have been waiting for these to be released on DVD for some time. I have not seen the VHS version, but from what I've read over the years on the Café, it is well worth your investment. I would not hesitate to get the other two new Ackerman DVD's as well.
Drive Carefully
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
These are solid tapes. They contain a lot of good material, and in my view they are well worth buying.

Gianni
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I have the VHS version, and the tapes are great!
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I made a mistake in my earlier post. There is one new DVD in addition to the series on sleights, not two as I had stated.
Drive Carefully
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of magicmann
The original videos great as already stated.
I would think DVD would make it much easier to find what your after.
There is some serious stuff here
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Good investment
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
An excellent investment for any library!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I wish I had the DVD's , I have the video set , so that means a lot of searching on the video tapes when you look for a specific sleight , flourish etcccccccccccccccccc ....
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
Does anybody have any more information on this set? I am having a hard time deciding between this set and Darryls set. Any help would be great.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

I have both the Daryl and Allan Ackerman DVD sets, and honestly I prefer the Allan Ackerman set.

Why? Because I find that Allan teaches (more details and tips) while Daryl mostly shows (not many details).

Also the fact that Daryl uses Bee cards "bugs" me a bit, as sometimes it is harder to see well, because of the lack of white border.

It makes an excellent visual DVD reference-library.

I highly recommend the Allan Ackerman Advanced Card Control series.

If you still want some more info in these 2 sets of DVDs, I strongly suggest you do a search, as they have been discussed many times before (I remember I asked myself a long time ago!) Make sure you do the search ALSO in the "archive" section too.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
Thank you for your input. I have done a lot searches but never came up with enough information to help to me decide betwwen the two. Again thank you
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Allan Ackerman’s Advanced Card Control Series is a very meaty series of DVDs. Each has a specific topic and goes into great breadth and detail from one of the most disarmingly graceful card workers of our day. I say that because his demeanor is light and genuine yet disarming. You wouldn’t think this slightly shy, loveable character has such devastating hands!!

But that is not the best part of this series. As I found when he lectured here in San Francisco years ago, Allan is an exceptional teacher. His attention to detail and the ability to clearly communicate these details is outstanding. Ackerman makes every move seem very attainable and that is inspiring. This is a series on advanced card control. It is not an encyclopedia of sleights, although such a work has its own benefits.

For instance, Ackerman’s series goes into detail and variations, and shows you applications of the controls which an encyclopedia simply couldn’t. It is exactly this detail which gives you the ability to achieve what many consider the backbones of Advanced Card Control and to apply them in the real world. The backgrounds of most of the moves are graciously discussed and credited, which is outstanding if you wish to do further study on a move. It also makes for great anecdotes and stories which Ackerman includes as well. These are the touches which keep you connected with the history of the moves and the men who created and perfected them.

If I could encapsulate my feeling about these DVDs I would have to say, “It is like being at a legendary session where entire arsenals of cardwork are being shared.” From core moves to personal nuances all the work is there, from Allan direct to you.

Cheers,

Tom
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
733 Posts

Profile of ftlum
The DVDs are excellent. I agree with the previous posts-- Mr. Ackerman goes into more detail than Daryl while still covering a lot of material. Not all the subject matter is the same, however. If you're interested in a particular sleight(s), you'd best look at the contents of the different sets before buying. BTW, http://www.magicproshop.com/ has got the Ackerman DVDs at a good price.

-- Frank
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
That is a wealth of inforamtion that I needed thank you all for your post I am going to order it now.
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
I have Daryl's "Encyclopedia". Is it still worth the money to get the Ackerman series?
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
I just ordered Allan ' DVD set. I have bought Daryl's encyclopedia before.
From the reviews at magic Café, I found that both are very excellent DVD. So I think I have made a good choice, just have to wait for DVD to arrive and start a long weekend learning new sleight Smile
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
They are the best dvds on card control out there, get them!!!
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
I have been on this forum for about a month now and I have used the information found here to help direct my magic purchases.

In that period of time I have not however found a lot of support for the Ackerman card control series. most people either go with daryls encyclopedia of card sleights or they rave on and on about bill Malone OTL.
why is it that most people don't see the value in what Ackerman has to offer.

The magic shop in my area has deal where I can get 3 dvds for 100 bucks, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the allan ackerman dvd's on shuffles, the one on false deals, and the one on controls, or if my money would be better spent substituting the vol on controls for one of bill Malones otl tapes.

thanks in advance for your advice

just to let you know what type of stuff I'm into. I absolutley love magic tricks, but right now my heart is more into the mechanic, sleight of hand type of thing.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you like mechanics, then the Ackerman series is an invitation into many devastating, lesser known sleights. Take it!

Just the other day I finally got around to watching the counts DVD from the series. I mean, how many versions of Elmsley, Jordan, etc. do you need? Well, once again Allan provides the goods!! Toward the end of the DVD there are some very deceptive counts which are very clean and open. Moves combined with optical subtleties which open up a world of possibilities.

Cheers,

Tom