The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Waste Your Life! LOL! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cruise
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Cruise
OK, in another topic I mentioned what DVD/Video you would not watch again. This is not a worst-video topic; this could be a video that you liked and learned from but after that you have no reason to watch because it will WASTE an hour of your life.

I will give examples. I have seen an ellusionist video and would rate that in worst videos category so it is not my Waste Your Life video. Understand. My choice is a video that I learned from but will NEVER watch again and only keep so I might do the effect one day.

It is---*drumrolls*---Torn by Daniel Garcia! Yes, I had heard good things about this and heard it was easy version of the effect and saw demos and was in AWE!

I bought video (EXPENSIVE too!) and it WAS worth it. I learned effect after two, maybe three, viewings, and it was well taught. But the Presentation was SO BAD I was embarrassed for HIM while watching it. When he described the effect, all important info was given, but it was not well presented! After I heard it was nearly a COMPLETE rip off of (Ripped & Restored, I think), I was disappointed on another level.

If I were to watch this video again, it would suck an hour of my life away and enrich me none! This video will WASTE YOUR LIFE!

OK, now it is your turn. Please do not post single lines like Bill Malone's. (You better not say Bill Malone waste your life!) But say what is so bad about the video that you cannot watch it again. Please keep in mind the rules. OK, this might be fun!

UPDATE: April 24, 2004

When I made this post it was because Daffydoug suggested it from another post I made where I joked about this topic. Funny he suggested I go for it not even he posted! ga...
ask harry why he dont want people to know he makes $200 a month for all these ads! thats like $4000 a month! oh but SHHH! harry isnt a real person!
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Daffy might be a little Daffy Smile

Hi Daff Smile

Daffy is a good guy. I know that I play jokes on my friends. lol

But to be serious, a DVD that teaches the tricks are great, even though the presentation might be ****. I don't have the video you are referring to, so I am speaking in general.

If you want someone's presentation, you may copy it and not be creative. The important thing is to know the secret and use your own presentation.

If you are looking just to be amused and pick up a few tricks, get the "Flicking Fingers" DVD. If you want to learn in detail, there are many books and tapes out there.

Jeff
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I agree with you cruise.....i was embarassed for him too.....there was a total lack of commitment of presentation on his part...made me want to cry. man I hope that guy doesn't put anything else out.

thanks,
D. Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I hope you do put some other stuff out. I watched the intro ten times lol...
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I didn't care for this or the method. Putting pieces in his back pocket and bringing them back out was not good.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of DJG
Actually I don't understand...

Isn't the purpose of most DVDs to teach the effects and methods, not the presentation? Shouldn't the presentation reflect one's self, and not a copy of who created it?

I haven't seen this DVD, but I have seen some like it - the presentations are lacking, but the effects and ideas are sound and have purpose.

Just my 2 cents...
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-06-05 23:21, Deceptionguy wrote:
Actually I don't understand...

Isn't the purpose of most DVDs to teach the effects and methods, not the presentation?

Is there a law that says that a video/DVD cannot teach both? Smile
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of DJG
Ok...I can't argue there!
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
"But the Presentation was SO BAD I was embarrassed for HIM"

Sorry. Can't let this one go unchallenged. The "Torn" video is one that is in my OPPOSITE category: videos that were watched that REQUIRE further viewings.

Gianni
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1164 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
This effect isn't called 'Torn and presented' it's simply called 'Torn' so I don't really see your point. I'm assuming that the point of releasing this effect to the magic community was to show other magicians how the T&R looks and then how to actually do it. Whatever creams your twinkie though I guess. Take care.

Your friend in magic,
Luke Dancy
http://www.lukedancy.com