The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jermay's New DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I'm an interested potential customer. I like the description of the watch effect on Jermay's new DVD "Skulduggery." I'd purchase the item just for that effect, but be mighty disappointed if it's not as direct as advertised. Thanks.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
It's just as direct as advertised.

The whole dvd is stunning. When you see Jermay do his routines, you get the feel of "no prop" mentalism. He also has a talent for adding a visual factor to mentalism.

The watch trick is sure-fire and can be done
straight away.

If you like mentalism, buy this DVD. You'll be glad you did.

Hope that helps,

James

Quote:
On 2004-04-02 17:55, fib wrote:
I'm an interested potential customer. I like the description of the watch effect on Jermay's new DVD "Skulduggery." I'd purchase the item just for that effect, but be mighty disappointed if it's not as direct as advertised. Thanks.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Thank you, James.
fib
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
We are very proud of Skullduggery. It's a fantastic DVD, and Luke's thinking is new, fresh and very modern. You will blow people away with the stuff on this DVD.

Peter
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hi Peter,

You people did a fantastic job! Everything is so clear on the DVD.

The variations on "A Darker Dai" send this piece into the stratosphere.

If you are not hearing people say this is good, it's because they want to keep the routines to themselves.

Well, you can't have them! They are all mine, MINE! Sorry.

Seriously, Fib, you will love this dvd.

Cheers,

James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Thank you.

The DVD is a simple "perform the effects in a no BS setting".

These are routines I use. I use them in close up and in some cases on stage.

The varation of a Darker Dia is something that I think moves it very much in the right direction. I only used cards in the explanation in 7 Deceptions as they were easy to understand.

Anyway - many thanks for your kind words and I am glad you like what I do.

Luke Jermay.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
What do you use in the DVD?
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
PinkGlove
View Profile
New user
Bude England
78 Posts

Profile of PinkGlove
Skullduggery is really, really great. It's worth every penny.

The watch effect is very neat and has a lot of punch. Cheers, Luke Smile
Trust anyone who has gone through it.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Luke, I mentioned this somewhere else where they were talking about your DVD. Anyway, I have an extra touch on the Twisted Palms you might like, so PM if you are interested.

By the way, I really like a lot of the stuff from the DVD and from your books.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Xia, he uses common objects rather than cards. The variation is very good. Puts more perspective into the effect and plays better. Especially if you are someone who doesn't like playing cards in a mentalist act.
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Could I adapt the book routine in some way or would it be best to view Jermay's presentation first?
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

You could adapt the book routine. It isn't very different from the DVD version. And on the DVD, Luke says that the only reason he wrote up the effect the way he did in Darker Dai was because an explanation with playing cards was easier. He makes excellent psychological use of a "picture frame" in the DVD that is probably worth seeing, though.
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
I'd really like to get this DVD. However, what other things should I buy? Or are there really no gimmicks other wise?

Thanks.
ROGERJ
For by GRACE are you saved through faith and not of YOURSELVES it is the GIFT of God NOT OF WORKS so no man can boast.
-Ephesians 2:8-9
All RogerJ products can be found at www.skilledmagic.8k.com
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
It's agreat DVD.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
As far as I can remember you only need a few gimmicks. The use of an impression device and an expanded shell.

Jonathan
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
Skulduggery is awesome! I just got it today (the Easter Bunny hopped it in Smile ) and I like it a lot. It was great to watch Luke perform and explain these effects.

Great work.

Ian
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
Is syncronicity (watch effect) explained in 7 Deceptions or just on the DVD?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Just the DVD.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I have a question if Luke reads this. I noticed the crediting on "A Darker Dai" fails to mention Vernon's Mental Card force. Does this type of effect pre-date Vernon? I must admit I am new to mentalism, so forgive my ignorance here. I just finished watching the DVD, and I was impressed with a couple of effects. Namely RGM, Synchronized and A Twisted Palm.

I am curious if the presentation for RGM was influenced by Derren Brown's presentation on the underground. It seems the style (down to the hand movements) are similar.

The last problem I have is the lack of description when it comes to certain effects. You do not go into detail during The Burst Bubble of how to attain the information needed. Perhaps you know of many methods, but to a virtual neophyte even a simple method would have been appreciated.

There are a number of other routines where a bit more explanation would have been useful. I understand you are dealing with other peoples perceptions and cannot be 100% sure of "how" they work. A bit more information would have been nice though.

I liked the DVD, and it is certainly worth the money; these are just some positive criticism's for you to keep in mind for your next project.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

As for your question on the Burst Bubble, Luke mentions using an impression device and that really is all you need to know. There are many options out there. Since most impression devices are made by great minds in mentalism, Luke would have to had gotten permission to explain it on the DVD, which is probably why he did not.