The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Paul Gertner's Steel & Silver Tapes/DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Hi Guys,
I recently saw Paul Gertner perform and lecture and was very impressed. I am considering buying his Steel & Silver tapes on DVD. I have read previous threads on these videos but there is no real review of them.

I want to know whether these will be suitable for me. I work primarily walk-around restaurants/banquet, so I need material which is:

a) Commercial
b) Suitable for performing stood up
c) Takes up little or no table space
d) Reset's easily
etc, etc.

Could someone who has these tapes give me descriptions of the effects listed below and whether or not they may be suitable for my main type of work. I'm pretty sure that they are probably very commercial routines having seen Paul work. Obviously I already know about "Unshuffled" and his "Steel Cups and Balls".

These are the listed effects:

Triple Die-lemma
A Familiar Ring
The Vanishing Card Stab
Bill in the Cigarette
Photo Copy
Salt Shaker Surprise
Ring Thing
Thumb Tip Corner Switch.
Ring on Hourglass
That's Ridiculous
Cups and Steel Balls
Reversed Assembly
Blackjack Surprise
Snap/Bounce
Spellbound Roll/Reverse
The Card in the Candy Box
Unshuffled, Four King Surprise
The Flick (Coins)
Three and Three (Coins) Four Part Transposition
Those Are the Aces... Not!
Snapping the Halves
MCA Vanish and Change
KIX Vanish-halves/quarters
The $100 Card in the Wallet

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
A lot of his work requires use of the lap, but sometimes he gives other methods so you can perform it standing. I would say that the photocopy routine is the most practical for table hopping.
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
I use Four King Surprise all the time. Great effect. You need a table, though.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Anyone else with comments on this?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
It's killer.
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Paul Gertner is a class act. I have his videos and they are definitely worth the money. Yes, there are some walk-around routines that will fit your venue, as well as effects that will require a table and with Triple Die-lemma you will have to stand behind a table with table cloth touching the floor.

As you know these are coming out on DVD with a bonus DVD on performance and advice. Time doesn't permit me to give a description of the effects you listed, but you will not be disappointed. You WILL be FOOLED, and his thinking and methodology is a learning experience.

Hope this helps.

David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
We do not know you, so I cannot say if any of the tricks are for you.

Photo Copy, card in candy box, and the Hundred $ card in wallet (you need a card in wallet wallet) can be done strolling.

This material is items he has won FISM grand close up magician of the World with. He is a Trade Show magician and stands behind a tall table. These items are more for these types of venues.

The magic is the best in the world, but you will not use all in strolling tables.
Sin City Jesse
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
4 Posts

Profile of Sin City Jesse
The effects on Gertner's tapes/DVDs are excellent and worth getting, regardless of your performance venue. That being said, I think the following effects would work in a walk-around situation:

A Familiar Ring(Coins Across),
Vanishing Card Stab,
Photo Copy(Card to Wallet with kicker),
Ring Thing (Moving Thumb w/ring).
Do Unto Others.....Then Run!!
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
I've been told that Volume #4 of the new Gertner DVDs is not yet ready for release. Is this true, and does anyone know when Volume #4 will come out?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-04-05 13:05, A.J. wrote:
I've been told that Volume #4 of the new Gertner DVDs is not yet ready for release. Is this true, and does anyone know when Volume #4 will come out?

Volume #4 is on Paul's site:
http://www.gertner.com

Vol 4:

With Steel & Silver LIVE! you can actually get inside Paul's head and know what he was thinking during the show? You are right there as Paul Gertner shares never-before-seen footage of his performances at a trade show, theater show, private party and, yes, even a comedy club!

This DVD is performance only and no tricks are explained, but you will gain valuable insight from Paul's running commentary as he discusses why he selected the tricks he did, what is working well -- and what is not.

Additional bonus clips include Paul's promotional tape of his one-man show Ten Fingers, his Feather Act from 1978 and his 1975 appearance on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, which you have to see to believe!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I spoke with Paul Gertner recently and the fourth DVD will be available in about two weeks.

Paul wasn't quite satisfied with some of the aspects of this DVD (fourth), so he decided to re-do it to meet his satisfaction standards.

If anyone has the VHS version of Steel and Silver, Vol 1 through 3 Paul tells me he has added clips from T.V. appearances with commentary to make these even more informative and enjoyable.

Paul pays close attention to detail, and you can tell he is passionate about the art.

David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!