The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Suspended dimension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
Anyone got any comments on this new dvd form Dan Sylvester, and how it compares to regualr topit work?Is it practical?
La magie, c'est ma vie
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Eddy,

Personally, I was disappointed with Suspended Dimension. I think using a normal Topit would serve you better.

For a practical setup, material, and tips, pick up Patrick Page's video on the Topit Vanisher. I think Page's video can be purchased for about $12 U.S.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I've been using the Suspended Dimension in my act since last July. It works. I think its a little more risky than using a normal topit, but you don't have to wear a jacket. I like to perform in short sleeves so this was a plus for me.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
The idea is great. The dvd is not. It was not well thought through (or even thought through at all) as Dan admits that he picked up some items at the grocery store on his way to shoot the dvd. One can tell that they are streeeeeetching the dvd out as long as they can and after that it is only 30 minutes long (I don't count the last 30 minutes because it is all Kevin James trick advertisements - not cool).

FC
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Most believe the dvd is overpriced and of not much use. If you can use it great but most said they wouldn't in previous posts on this.
NeptuneTQ
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of NeptuneTQ
I haven't heard much good about this one, especially since, and I pretty much hear the same everywhere. Overpriced, way to short, thrown together... I would just avoid this if you could.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2004-03-30 00:06, NeptuneTQ wrote:
I haven't heard much good about this one, especially since, and I pretty much hear the same everywhere. Overpriced, way to short, thrown together... I would just avoid this if you could.

If you don't own this, why would you try to have an opinion about it? All you know is what other people have said. Its possible you might come to your own conclusion. The point is: Please don't review items you have no personal experience with. This goes for theHawk too.. and well everybody on the Café. And not just concerning this product - Concering all products... Its just common sense.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Good point, Geoff. You and I obviously disagree as to the Suspended Dimension, but it is because we have tried the product. By the way, I appreciate friendly disagreements. Too often on the Café, people almost get into e-fist fights. For that, thank you, Geoff.

FC
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Another Kevin James horrible item I wish this guy would stick to performing and stop "inventing".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1307 Posts

Profile of DJG
Actually this IS a well thought out idea, and utility item. The comment mentioned was about how they (Dan & Kevin) threw the contents of the DVD together because the previous footage was lost.

From what Dan has told me, the original footage was well thought out and detailed, but unfortunately "misplaced". The idea however remained the same. I agree about the price being a little high, but that seems to be the trend in magic, and I live with it.

I agree with Geoff. It seems like there are many "guesses" and opinions out there, but not many reviews. No offense intended to anyone.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Geoff, I watched Dan Slyvestor performing this and it looked bad. Contrary to what you may think you don't have to own this to have an opinion on this.
Most that have seen Dan perform this dislike it. If you like it fine but don't come off telling people that they can't have an opinion on this unless you own it. Use some common sense yourself.
Totof
View Profile
New user
Belgium
72 Posts

Profile of Totof
Eddy, there was sometimes ago a very long discussion on this subject.
Here is the link http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
TheHawk...Where I live there is a comedy radio show called The Don and Mike Show. One of the bits they do on the show is a segment called "Reviewing movies we haven't seen."

I should retract my sentence where I said you shouldn't have an opinion if you don't own it. Of course anyone can have an opinion on anything and it doesn't even have to be based on anything. But I will stand by my other statement asking people not to review items they have no personal experience with. If you have seen this performed by the originator, that could be considered a personal experience, but it should probably be mentioned as a qualifier when your review is given. (ie. "I haven't used this myself, but I've seen it performed")

What I would like to see the Café reviews get away from, is things like "Everyone else says...." "Most people seem to believe..." "I've heard from people everywhere..."