The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Brainstorm: Creative Magic of John Guastaferro (#2) :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
A review I previously posted on another message board (slightly modified). Of course there's a Vol.1 in this series, however, this review speaks of Vol.2 only:

Name: BRAINSTORM: Creative Magic of John Guastaferro (Vol.2)
Type: Card Magic
Format: DVD
Publisher: L&L, 2003
Duration: 111 minutes
Price: £27.50 / $34.95
Difficulty: 3-4/5
Personal Rating: 7/10

I purchased this DVD by chance. I'd gone to the magic shop for something else that wasn't in stock and ended up with this instead. I'm not disappointed.

The audience consists of the usual L&L regulars who, for the most part, sit with jaws dropped and eyes wide in amazement as John Guastaferro floors them time and again with some marvelous effects.

Here's what it says on the back cover:

---------------

Brainstorm - The Creative Card Magic of John Guastaferro, features some of John's finest card creations, highlighting a unique blend of creative presentations, diabolical methods and maximum entertainment value. Most of these effects can be done strolling, without the need for tables or lengthy set up, and are within the reach of the average magician. See for yourself how well this magic plays and discover the carefully-constructed methods and routining behind the effects, all designed to captivate and floor audiences.

---------------

And here are the effects taught, as described on the DVD (* I've added some comments and observations here and there):

Party Animal - Your spectator is the guest of honor at an exclusive party the cards are throwing. Show your audience to a fun time in this thoroughly entertaining in-the-hands Triumph routine.

* Can be impromptu, however, you'll need a prepared card if you want to end the effect exactly the way John does.

Clairvoyance - Completely floor your audience with this elegant (and quite eerie) revelation of a thought-of card. Just like real mind reading.

* Can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck. In performance this is a truly remarkable revelation of a card that's merely "thought-of". But you'll need to know your Faro shuffles if you're going to get to grips with it.

Intuition - In this small-packet Hofsinzer-inspired miracle, the four Queens use their women's intuition to reveal a spectator's card.

Out of the Blue - Absolutely stunning! The four Aces and four Queens not only change places, but change back designs as well. "It is one of the strongest small packet transpositions I have ever seen," says Gordon Bean.

Snowball Aces - In this mesmerizing routine, the ink simply melts away from both sides of the deck, then magically returns. It's so visual and deceptive, you'll swear it uses rough and smooth cards. (It doesn't).

* Doesn't use a regular deck (of course). Watch the audience react to this one! Four Aces placed into a spectator's hand are later found to be blank as well. You might know how this is all done but there are some nice touches here.

Tailspin - Using a four-of-a-kind of the spectator's choosing, you cause each of the cards to turn face-down, then transform...twice!

Synergy - The cards work as a team in this flashy four-card revelation, where each card helps find the next.

Bizarre Prequel - Just discovered, the two-phase prequel to Paul Harris' Bizarre Twist, featuring a clean and clever approach to the Point of Departure plot.

* A wonderful signed card routine. If you liked Paul Harris' original, you'll enjoy John's contribution.

Jazz Fusion - A modern twist to the classic Jazz Aces plot. Here, the four Jacks vanish into a black hole, leaving behind a startling surprise.

Gemini Prediction - This is a true showstopper, featuring an impossible prediction of four randomly-selected cards and an astonishing finale that no one could have predicted!

* What's good here is that the method used to have four spectators choose their cards seems perfectly fair and beyond suspicion. Not impromptu (although the first phase is near-impromptu), particularly if you want to include the "astonishing finale".

End.

NeoMagic

P.S. I note the Brainstorm DVDs didn't get a particularly good review in the recent Genii.

For some online clips from this DVD set, see here: VOL.1 and VOL.2
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Thanks, Neo. FYI guys, I have more of my DVDs in stock and have a new special offer on my website. Recieve two signed DVDs, plus four FREE frog stickers and a free clear sleeve for "Lost & Found." $60

I also have the Lost & Found sleeves and frog stickers available to purchase separately.

I'm also in the middle of writing some lecture notes with brand new material! I'll keep you all posted on this.

John Guastaferro
http://www.johnGstudio.com
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
My pleasure!
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John, will you ever put your ring and rope routine on DVD?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 19:05, JohnG wrote:
Thanks, Neo. FYI guys, I have more of my DVDs in stock and have a new special offer on my website. Recieve two signed DVDs, plus four FREE frog stickers and a free clear sleeve for "Lost & Found." $60

I also have the Lost & Found sleeves and frog stickers available to purchase separately.

I'm also in the middle of writing some lecture notes with brand new material! I'll keep you all posted on this.

John Guastaferro

Looking forward to your lecture notes!
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I'm thinking about re-releasing Full CIrcle some time in the future. I'm amazed how many people keep asking about it. I'd also like to release another double DVD set next year...one with new card effects and the other with non-card effects. I'll keep you posted.

John
esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
John thanks for teaching me some wonderful magic your brainstorm series is my fave
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
Hi John,
Can you tell us a little bit about youself. I had never heard of you before your DVDs were advertised. Thanks.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
From John's Bio:

About John Guastaferro

For more than a decade, John Guastaferro has entertained hundreds of audiences throughout L.A. and Orange County, including the world famous Magic Castle. He has earned a well-deserved reputation among magicians for creating powerful close-up magic. "John has an uncanny ability to create magic that grabs you, fools you and consistently delivers in the real world," says David Regal.

Many of John's original ideas in magic have been published in books and periodicals. John's card magic is currently featured on "Brainstorm" a 2-volume DVD produced by L&L Publishing. Magicians world-wide have praised "Brainstorm" for John's unique blend of creative presentations, diabolical methods and maximum entertainment value.

If you haven't seen John perform before, you are in for a treat. This is strong, entertaining, creative magic—perfect for strolling and formal close-up venues.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts