The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Osterlind Vol 1 "Bank Night" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Can you please explain the effect called bank night. Are there any gimmicks involved in performing? How is vol #1
Thanks
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Bank Night - There are 5 envelopes but only 1 of them have a hundred dollar bill in it. RO will pick 4 audiences to play this "game" with him. They have to pick 1 of the envelopes that they think that consive the $100 and he'll just take the last 1 that has been left. It's quite entertaining.

>Are there any gimmicks involved in performing?
Yes
>How is vol #1
Very good. Smile
I recommend you to get all those 4 volumes straight away. Believe me, you'll like it and they are worth the price you paid.

All the best and enjoy.
:dancing:
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
If you need to save money, yet maximize your magic, then just get volumes 1 and 2, they're the best of the entire series Smile
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Bank Night is mostly use to perform for parlor and stage show. Therefore, I feel you have to know what's your need first so that you could save money.

Volume 1 and 4 are more on parlor or stage performance

Volume 2 is card magic, good for both close up and stage show. Pack small play big

Volume 3 is mainly for parlor magic
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get them all as they are all very good. You won't be sorry. This set of dvds are the best that have been released.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Richard Osterlind's DVDs definately the best value for your money! Get the entire set, you'll be happy you did!

Robert.

:smile:
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It is the best set released to date. The only other one that is comparable you get a lot of milage out of is ETMCM by Ammar amd Bill Malones "On the Loose".
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
I did not buy these as a set--but after I purchased all four Mr Ostelind has released a limited number of 4 volume sets at his website http://www.osterlindmysteries.com for $100 including postage!

-Jay
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
I have said it before, and I'll say it again: If you can afford to, buy all four of these dvds. If you can't, pawn something and buy all four.

As to the original question(s) about bank night, there are almost as many variations as there are performers. Ted Lesley's Black Magic III and Lee Earle's Manila Miracle come to mind. The problem with bank night routines is that the participants "lose" in that they never find the big money. Some variations have them getting a consolation prize to take away some of the sting, but to me it stills feels like a "gotcha". For my money, Max Maven's Goal Mine is the only bank night variation I've seen that completely removes the feel of the performer winning at the expense of "losing" participants.
:pepper:
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
I really enjoyed these DVD's also. And to be honest, I thought Osterlind's performance of his "Bank Night" routine was his best.

It's funny, well thought out and is a fantastic opening effect.

I'm not saying that it's the best trick in the series but rather one of his better performances.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have volume 1 of the Osterlind series and really like it. His magazine test and the watch routine are two that I'm thinking about working on. His take on Bank Night I think plays well, and looks like it would be pretty easy to perform.

The only version of Bank Night I've used is one by Bruce Bernstein which was published by Jim Steinmeyer in the October, 2002 issue of MAGIC called "Playing for Keeps".

In "Playing for Keeps", five volunteers from the audience each provide a $20 bill. The volunteers then place all five bills into an envelope. This envelope is then mixed with four others. Each volunteer chooses an envelope and then four of the envelopes are destroyed. In the end the remaining envelope contains the imperiled $100.

The beauty of this routine is that the volunteers appear to do all the handling and make all the choices. It builds a lot of tension and in the end everybody wins.

Trivia: the term "Bank Night" comes from old time vaudeville when there would often be raffles or free drawings for cash at the theaters. The theme for this trick plays off the idea that the performer is providing the audience members a chance to win real money. Of course the performer is always the winner. An early method appears in Tarbell volume 5.

(I love that Osterlind credits Tarbell for the page selection method in his magazine test!)
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Heys guys quick question if I may,what are the actual size of the envelopes that Mr Osterlind uses's in his bank night effect.I received the dvd today and loved every minute of it,but for the life of me I can seem to work out their size,so far I have volume 1 and 2 and have been blown away by both the effects and his performing style,excellent stuff!
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
I have a lot of dvds and this set ranks in my top 3
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 13:18, Grobbelaar wrote:
Heys guys quick question if I may,what are the actual size of the envelopes that Mr Osterlind uses's in his bank night effect.I received the dvd today and loved every minute of it,but for the life of me I can seem to work out their size,so far I have volume 1 and 2 and have been blown away by both the effects and his performing style,excellent stuff!

I used to use the smaller 2 1/2 X 4 1/2 size. Then I switched over to the 3 1/2 by 6 size. (sorry, I don't know the exact product number right now) I found the larger size easier to handle and more visible to the audience.

Richard
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks very much Mr Osterlind,I actually came across a few nicely sized envelopes this morning and performed the effect a number of times with great reactions.Off topic a bit here but concerning your center tear,I love the way you make everything so natural,you don't give any excuse's as to why the person must write their word on a piece paper,its just done and never questioned.Im new to mentalism and I always thought that you had to explain everything but now I begin to realise that somethings should be done in an off hand manner and thus not drawing any attention to it.My twin brother who has a good amount of magic knowledge had no idea how you accomplished your effects using the center tear,he not once questioned why the name had to be written down first.With your material and with my recent purchase of 13 steps to mentalism I am begining to learn so much,its truly amazing.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 18:46, Grobbelaar wrote:
Thanks very much Mr Osterlind,I actually came across a few nicely sized envelopes this morning and performed the effect a number of times with great reactions.Off topic a bit here but concerning your center tear,I love the way you make everything so natural,you don't give any excuse's as to why the person must write their word on a piece paper,its just done and never questioned.Im new to mentalism and I always thought that you had to explain everything but now I begin to realise that somethings should be done in an off hand manner and thus not drawing any attention to it.My twin brother who has a good amount of magic knowledge had no idea how you accomplished your effects using the center tear,he not once questioned why the name had to be written down first.With your material and with my recent purchase of 13 steps to mentalism I am begining to learn so much,its truly amazing.

I'm so glad you perceived this very important point! I will stress this on some future videos and I have already mentioned this in some of my books (Making Magic Real and Making Real Magic), it is often boring and just plain wrong to try to explain every action you make to your audience. What you need to do is understand in your own mind what it is you are supposedly doing and then act accordingly. Let me give a really terrible example thay may make the point.

Let's say you got a flat and you asked your friend to help you change it. You wouldn't say stuff like, "Ok, now I am going to use this metal device to raise up the car so as to allow me to remove the wheel!" etc., etc. Instead, you would say stuff like, "OK, hand me that jack, hold these bolts, etc." See? That's how I approach my magic.

Hope that the example is not too far off.

Richard

PS, "Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddggggggggeeeeee!
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
On 2004-06-02 09:32, osterlind wrote:

Let's say you got a flat and you asked your friend to help you change it.

Tell me I'm not the only one that spent a second asking "Change your apartment? Change your apartment how?" Smile

Quote:
PS, "Ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddggggggggeeeeee!

"Except I didn't say 'fudge.'" Smile

I've been going over this bank night presentation ever since I first saw it. The construction makes it a brilliant piece of entertainment. I spent today transcribing the exact dialogue--no, no, not so that I can reproduce it. So that I can concentrate on the structure. (It's for the same reason I study screenplay structure with a printed script rather than by watching the movie.)
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-02-10 21:53, Scott Ocheltree wrote:
I have volume 1 of the Osterlind series and really like it. His magazine test and the watch routine are two that I'm thinking about working on. His take on Bank Night I think plays well, and looks like it would be pretty easy to perform.

The only version of Bank Night I've used is one by Bruce Bernstein which was published by Jim Steinmeyer in the October, 2002 issue of MAGIC called "Playing for Keeps".

In "Playing for Keeps", five volunteers from the audience each provide a $20 bill. The volunteers then place all five bills into an envelope. This envelope is then mixed with four others. Each volunteer chooses an envelope and then four of the envelopes are destroyed. In the end the remaining envelope contains the imperiled $100.

The beauty of this routine is that the volunteers appear to do all the handling and make all the choices. It builds a lot of tension and in the end everybody wins.

Trivia: the term "Bank Night" comes from old time vaudeville when there would often be raffles or free drawings for cash at the theaters. The theme for this trick plays off the idea that the performer is providing the audience members a chance to win real money. Of course the performer is always the winner. An early method appears in Tarbell volume 5.

(I love that Osterlind credits Tarbell for the page selection method in his magazine test!)

Scott, you're quite right. The Jim Steinmeyer's version is excellent which I've used many times.
There is another bank night that is probably one of the best version I've ever seen, yet leave room for lots of omedy.This version was in one of Bascom Jones "Magick" by monthly.
If you're interested you can P/M me and I'll try to locate the article
Richard Lyn
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of toberman
Vol #1 was my favorite out of this series but I agree with the others, buy the set. It's an excellent $100 investment.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Get all 4, excellent set of videos. Torn and restored post-it note was worth the price of the entire set. Love change your mind and his torn and restored newspaper, very clever.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.