The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Finny! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
New on DVD, "Michael Finny: Live From Lake Tahoe" is here. I'm highly anticipating these. Michael is one the best guys in the biz, a hilarious and sincere performer. Vol. 1 is apparently his stand-up comedy act (no tricks), Vol. 2 is his comedy magic performance (along with a motivational speech), and Vol. 3 contains the methods for the effects found on Vol. 2. I can't wait to get these. Who's with me? Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm with you. Mike lives here in Phoenix and is one of the nicest, generous and SCREAMINGLY funny people you'll ever meet.

I can't wait to get these!!!!!!!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chris Gold
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Chris Gold
Hello,

Yep, I just bought these DVD's. I had heard that L&L was going to release these, but I thought it was going to be another couple of months. Glad they released them now! I saw Finney at a Convention a few years ago. He was great live!

I can't to watch them! I think Michael Finney is awesome!

Got mine from Hocus Pocus. They have them for $74.95 with free shipping! Smile
Chris Gold
TS Entertainment INC
Hollywood, CA
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
The best part of my duties as L&L Publishing's web developer is I get to see the DVDs before they are released. I saw the Finney DVDs about 2 weeks ago and for all of you Finney fans, you will not be disappointed. Michael is great!

For me the best part was on the second DVD where after the comedy/magic show he gives a great sit-down talk to the group. It's a motivational speech of sorts that will have you looking at Michael in a whole new light!

Just so everyone knows, the first DVD is all comedy - no magic. The second DVD is the magic show and the motivational speech. The third DVD is all the work & secrets for the magic.

By all means order from your favorite dealer - HOWEVER if you want these before anyone else - buy them from L&L directly. L&L gets them first and sends out their customers before they go to the distributor and other magic shops (plus they price match on any one of their products!)

Also for you die hard Finney fans if you order from L&L you will get an autographed Michael Finney poster.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I saw MF a few times live and he is nothing but fantastic to watch. You watch him once and you have to see him again.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
How about a review of the DVDs---thanks in advance!---Jimeuax Smile
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-10 20:09, Jimeuax wrote:
How about a review of the DVDs---thanks in advance!---Jimeuax Smile

What do you want to know? They're Great! They are funny. If you've ever seen Michael perform, then you'll love these DVDs. All of his routines are performed and explained, He really is giving away his act on these DVDs.

The motivational section on DVD 2 really is inspiring, but there are also some great tips about getting booked and marketing yourself. He really gives you insight as to what it takes to be a working pro and how he got to where is his now.

The problem with a DVDs such as these is that here the guy is giving away his act, but the material should really be used as research and studied, not copied. The presentations work for him, but I think anyone trying to copy what's here will be disappointed by the reaction they would get.

With all of the close-up material that is released on DVDs, it's refreshing to see stand up presentations being taught.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I had the Stevens Magic video of Comedy magic and Finney perfromed and explaine a lot of the same.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-11 10:41, Cabrera wrote:
I had the Stevens Magic video of Comedy magic and Finney perfromed and explaine a lot of the same.

I haven't seen the Steven's video, but I'm sure Michael goes into much more detailed explanations on in the L&L set.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Yes, the Stevens video has Finney and 2 other Magi. Fielding West and someone I've never heard of since.

Mike tips alot on these. But, I don't think it was his best performance. It was sort of a short segment for him. I've seen him live and it was incredible. I think the L&L DVD's capture this, from what I've read from the descriptions.

Steve's right-study the material, but come up with your own routines. No one can be Finney, but Finney!

I'm interested in the comedy and the motivational part.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Other guy from Steven's vol 35 is Mark Kornhauser. Funny video and well worth watching.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Hello Steve!--Thanks for your input, I agree with everything you said. It really is all about his presentations .I think he is very funny and I am going to buy them. This column is about getting subjective opinions from people who buy the products. No slight to anyone was intended. I bought Tommy Wonders dvds KNOWING that I would never do a trick off of them because they are all signature pieces of Tommys. I had his books--saw him live---and just wanted to be able to see him perform. I can't imagine anyone doing Finnys "card on forhead" for instance because it is a signature piece. Sometimes people ask just to see if other people are enjoying the dvd as much as they are. cheers!-----------Jimeuax Smile
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-12 01:00, Jimeuax wrote:
...This column is about getting subjective opinions from people who buy the products. No slight to anyone was intended.

I wanted to jump in early in this thread because no one has the DVDs yet, so you would have been waiting a while for any sort of opinion. I'm not sure if the DVDs starting shipping at the end of last week or are shipping this week.

Even though I get paid from L&L, I don't give glowing reviews for every product. I didn't like the Jeff Sheridan set or the Henry Evans set, so when I do post a good review, I mean it. I also don't get automatic free DVDs. When I see the DVDs before they are released, they are called check disks. They are not copy protected, so I can grab a video clip for the web site. I don't keep those. They get sent back to L&L. Occassionally they will send me a free set of DVDs, other times I have to pay for them just like everyone else.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Hello Again Steve!---I could tell by your comments that you were sincere in your review. I didn't know that no one had them as of yet. Finny really shows that the presentation is SO much of the trick. He can take a "standard" and make it a signature piece. I always enjoyed his spots on the Magic Specials. It will be interesting to hear his thinking on routining. I can't wait to get them.-thanks again!---------cheers!----------Jimeuax Smile