The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stealing Pips review in Magic Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Anyone has the newest edition of magic magazine? I don't have a subscription but I heard there was a review for Oz's Stealing Pips in it by Mike Close. Anyone mind giving a brief overview of the review by Close?
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Mike Close gave it a very poor review. Pretty much stating that there was nothing new, some ideas made the effects more confusing, and its to easy for people to put videos or DVDs on the market resulting in poor material.

Rich B.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Well I disagree with Mike Close. I think Stealing Pips was very good and not really confusing at all.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I think Close was making the point that all the material is something you may already have in a book/vid eventhough it is advertised as new or new handling.

He gave it one of the worst reviews I've seen.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Mike Close gave it a pretty lengthy review, but said it could all be wrapped up with three words, "Save your money."

Ron
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I also thought stealing pips wasnt bad. I liked his explanation of the bertram change. I did find some of the tricks cumbersome and not one actually went into my repertoire. but that is just me I guess. as for the SAC move being revolutionary...ummmm...riiighhhtt. and the Oz Alignment Refinement?? that cant be considered a "move" really. furthermore, I was reading some more of David Regal's Constant Fooling 2 and realized his sticky mama is almost exactly the same as penguin magic's red hot mamacita instat download...im curious as to which came first.
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey David,
Sticky Mama was published before Red Hot Mamacita, and in the magic world that's all that matters. (Although, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that Oz didn't credit Regal)

Tyler Wilson
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Mike Close has a daunting job, I think he does really well with it.
I tend to agree with his reviews (I manage a magic shop) and I use them to make purchasing decisions concerning new product.
Mike is correct that today with the abundance of home desktop publishing putting out a DVD (of which I too will soon be guilty of) or book can be less noteworthy than in times past.
Jason
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Close realy blasted Oz in his review. Seems he took old effects and renamed them.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I have a question.... Why do you think Close's review is negative while the reviewer for Genii Magazine, Joe Turner, gave it a relatively good review in this month's Genii? Smile

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey S.Segal,
For the same reason that you and I may differ in opinion about a product. Everyone has their own opinion as well as their own criteria for what they consider to be valuable. Columnists are no different.

Tyler Wilson
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike reviews "new"card effects to see if they are new or just re-workings of old effects by the Masters.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Maybe close was also trying to attack the whole new trend of youngsters producing DVDs.
I do not know Mike Close's motives but I can relate to arguements of this type although they can generalize to a large extend.
I also thought OZ's video was nothing new (to say the least - if it was not a public forum I would use harsher words)
people just have to understand that creating new ambitious card routine or incorporating a color change in a routine does not make you a magical thinker.
I think the magic community just suffered from the new plethora of "young blood" DVDs the material is of lower quality, the presentations are mostly "Blaine wannabe style" and the magical thinking is very poor.
just because it is very easy to make a DVD these days doesn't mean that everyone should.
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Quote:
On 2003-12-09 09:01, Nir Dahan wrote:
people just have to understand that creating new ambitious card routine or a incorporating a color change in a routine does not make you a magical thinker.

Hey Nir Dahan,
I think THAT is the problem most people have with this DVD. However, it never stated to be full of new ideas or techniques so judging it based on originality isn't exactly fair. That's like judging a beauty contestant on her reading skills.

It must be noted that I don't own this DVD (nor want to) and am not a particular fan of OZ. I just wanted to clear up a misconception.

Tyler Wilson
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-12-08 22:18, Greenshock wrote:
Hey S.Segal,
For the same reason that you and I may differ in opinion about a product. Everyone has their own opinion as well as their own criteria for what they consider to be valuable. Columnists are no different.

....and that's the reason why you shouldn't decide ONLY on background of a columnist's review.
Columnists give in their valuable but subjective opinions, and at least what I do, is to get that opinion verified by others.

Sven
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Close gave Stealing Pips a very bad review, summed up by his words "Save your Money". He called it "crap" as I recall.

He was very convincing, but I felt it was somewhat harsh. Maybe that is how it should be.

At any rate, he turned me away from it.
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
289 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
I thought stealing pips was beter than some of close's videos..
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
On 2003-12-10 22:35, trickster2000 wrote:
I thought stealing pips was beter than some of close's videos..

Smile Smile

Well maybe my definition of a good magic video is different...
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I also strikes to me as odd the fact that the Review on Magic Magazine was bad, while the one on Genii was really good; Any comments on this?

Alex
Smile
bvbernard
View Profile
New user
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
95 Posts

Profile of bvbernard
Quote:
On 2003-12-11 18:56, al_magicdude wrote:
I also strikes to me as odd the fact that the Review on Magic Magazine was bad, while the one on Genii was really good; Any comments on this?

Alex
Smile

This has already been asked and answered above.