The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: "On The Spot"or "Off The Cuff"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I can afford only one of these videos. Which is the better of the two?
From what I've found it looks like “On The Spot” has a lot of watch stealing/pickpocketing type stuff, which I'm not interested in.
Thanks for any help, Brian
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I only have “On The Spot” but it is a great couple of videos, which have a lot of good material. And it isn't just a watch steal, pickpocket tape; he has some strong (ranging from fairly easy to weeks of practice) tricks and performance tips on here.

Watching him perform them in a real environment is really helpful as well. In my opinion, more videos should be done this way.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
496 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I have both, and I think both are just as good. But if you can afford only one, go for “On the Spot”, because there is more on these two tapes. And don’t worry, there’s not a lot of pickpocketing and watch stealing at all.

Håkan

Smile
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
I have both and would second the above opinion. I'd get “On the Spot”, plus he also covers a couple of things that are in “Off the Cuff.”
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
I have “On the Spot” and love it. Is it worth getting “Off the Cuff” as well?
Ta
Shane
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
On the Spot
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
122 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I agree their both great. Recap, which many people would agree is the best routine on "Off the Cuff", is improved in "On the Spot". Also to make your life a little more difficult "On the Spot" is now on DVD.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=466

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
MagicDiva
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
43 Posts

Profile of MagicDiva
I also have both and suggest "On the Spot". In my opinion, the effects in “On the Spot” are more entertaining and fun to perform. Some of my favorites are, “Questionable Trick” and “3/4 across.” Those two effects alone are worth it.

~Amelia
Amadeus_Magi
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
100 Posts

Profile of Amadeus_Magi
"On The Spot" of course my man!
A lot of good routines and innovative...
Magic Beyond Your Imagination
youngdanf
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of youngdanf
I only have “On the Spot.” I would probably get that one. It is the most entertaining video I have. It's so fun to watch the people react in real life. I pulled it out the other day while I was in bed sick just so I could laugh a little.
There are some really great routines on it as well. I would second the “3/4 Across” and raise you “Re-cap revisited.” Or maybe “Florida Keys”... there are so many to chose from.
Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
I would definitely get "On the Spot" and I'd would pay the extra $$ for the DVD. It's so nice to be able to instantly access the material you want, plus it's less likely to get worn like a VHS tape.

By Gregory Wilson's own admission, he made "On the Spot" because he was not full satisfied with how "Off the Cuff" came out. There are a few knuckle-busting routines, but it’s very fun. You see real world demonstrations. It’s in the Top 3 of my favorite magic videos.
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
*walks on eggshells* I read the reviews and decided to get On the Spot...I got it on VHS. I was disapointed. The material is ok. I believe having it on dvd would help...as I can only use maybe 4 tricks, accessing those immediately would help. The 3/4 across is very nice, but will take awhile...I liked the 99 cent trick, and of course recap. But the reviews here are making it way over hyped. These videos were ok. The "real life reactions" contained some apathy, and Greg's demeanor was arrogant, and this rubbed me the wrong way.

The quality is great, and you do get some nice explanations. Greg showing these in real world surroundings will give you a better idea of how these will be received as opposed to the live in studio audience. I would not pay the going price for these again. Maybe if you could get them a little cheaper?

My 2 cents....

Pete
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Totally "On the Spot!"
Has way more material and is more entertaining to watch!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17428 Posts

Profile of joseph
On the Spot, especially for Recap Revisited.... Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
On the spot is produced much better than off the cuff.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Yes I agree...On the Spot is better. I had both butsold off the cuff. On the spot has the good stuff described on off the cuff condensed down. Its a great vid.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
On the Spot. No question about it. More material. Updates at least Recap (Recap Revisted). More professionally shot. Also has real live layperson audience sequences (as opposed to magic store employees, magicians or no audience at all). Camera angles better and clearer. And, Greg seems much better prepared for this one and really enjoying what he was doing. (In Off the Cuff, he was performing for a bunch of stodgy 'ol magicians at a lecture; the tape seemed somewhat unprofessioanl and, IMHO, Greg's performance presentation seemed to be unprepared, bored to be there, nervous, etc.--really Off the Cuff)

And finally, much of the material that was in Off the Cuff is repeatred again in On the Spot--and is much improved in presentation.

Off the Cuff was good; On the Spot was GREAT!!! On the Spot will be one of those videos you never sell but rather keep for reference and to refresh your memory for having some truly "impromptu" magic no matter where you go.

One final thing: On the Spot has just been released on DVD. Much more practical format and a killer application for reference and refresher viewing.

Again, IMHO.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I only have On the Spot, but they are killer. I strongly reccomend them.
MagicMan5150
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMan5150
I recently got the On The Spot DVD and it is killer! Excellent performances and instruction! You can't go wrong with this one! As mentioned, spend the extra few dollars and get the DVD version if you can.
:comply: