The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Hi People, I have Osterlind's vol 1 dvd, excellent dvd. I know what is on vol 2.
Can someone please outline what effects are on vol 3 & 4, I know there is a spoon bend in one of them. it seems strange that vol 1 goes into detail, such as bank night, watch routine etc.

thanks

carl.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Look on magicproshop.com, penguinmagic.com, llpub.com

they all have the contents
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Would you recommend these dvds? Smile
edseas2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of edseas2
Yes, yes and yes again. Having been out of magic for quite a while I decided that, at my tender age (40+) I would go in to mentalism. I purchased the whole set (from Richard) and after 3 days of practice I completely fooled a very intelligent friend of mine with Richard's stack. From a layperson's point of view, the card effects are absolutely incredible. My friend did everything he could to ruin the effect I performed (wherein the spectator (victim) grabs a clump of cards from the deck and I divine each one) - you know what I mean - hiding the cards under the table, checking to see if they were marked, etc. etc.
In sum, I have a year's worht of practice material on these DVD's and then I'll be able to make a pretty good presentation I think. The effects are not hard to perform but as everyone says, the presentation is everything so sufficient practice is a must.
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Great! thanks for your advice EDSEAS2! Smile
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I second edseas2's statement! If you are into mentalism, these dvd's are a must!

I have constructed my own Radar Deck, and am busy learning it now. I'm also very impressed with his Breaktrough system, but Im allready learning Martin Joyal's "The Six-Hour Memorized Deck".

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
You should have all four! Lots of material in every one!
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Learn the aronson stack. IMO the best stack out there. better than joyals...it has so many hands built into it....simply insane...great stack, and not that hard to learn.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-21 11:47, david_a_whitehead wrote:
Learn the aronson stack. IMO the best stack out there. better than joyals...it has so many hands built into it....simply insane...great stack,a nd not that hard to learn.

It's only a matter of taste I guess.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Guys,

Everybody speaks of the effects that Osterlind did, but did you look between the lines (between the effects)?

He touches on a lot (and I mean a lot) of important presentational points.
How to get more magical moments, how to increase the effect, how to cancel solutions from the audience point of view, how to structure a routine, his gags, his dynamics.

Watch the performances over and over and over again. There is a lot of wisdom there and it is not only in the effects. I already changed/restructured 3 effects I do regularily after watching these dvds.

In one word - a definite must (well more than one word)

Nir
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
I have all four DVD's. If you want pure mentalism without any magic, then get some thing else. If you want top notch mentalism with some of the best magic tricks then order these now. Its not just mentalism its a torn and restored sweet and low too. It has alot of interesting stuff. I have max's video mind series and these (i don't really want to say there better but they might be) are just as good. I have a total of 7 DVD's for mentalism all worth the money.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I just watched Volume one last night. AMAZING!! He's has got some absolutley outstanding effects on here and he explains each one very well. Besides Michael Ammar I don't think I've purchased a video by someone who explains things in such detail with so many important extra tips. I agree with Nir Dahan. His advice on getting extra reactions and the way he has routined his effects to make the audience believe something entirely different than what the spectator on stage is seeing is wonderful. I highly recommend vol. 1 and I will be getting the other volumes soon.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-11-21 20:10, Nir Dahan wrote:
Guys,

everybody speaks of the effects that osterlind did.
did you look between the lines (between the effects)
he touches a lot (and I mean a lot) of important presentational points.
how to get more magical moments, how to increase the effect, how to cancel solutions from the audience point of view, how to structure a routine, his gags, his dynamics.
watch the performance over and over and over again. there is a lot of wisdom there and it is not only in the effects.

So true!!
Some of Richard's effects are just out of this world.
In addition, it is a treasure burried just under the surface, as Nir points out.
I hope nobody overlook or underestimate the value of this.
Nobody could come up with this without having years and years experience as a working performe. Richard has developed this philosophy, thoughts and ideas from his own experience through all this years.

Except for what's in the series, Richard also shows the same in his Making Magic Real.

IMHO, this treasure should be handled with all the respect it deserves.

This is definately not just something shaken out of the sleeve, but shows the difference between the few very special performers and the the more "ordinary" pro.

We should be very grateful for what he is sharing with us.

Sven
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
Richard is a throwback to the days when magicians shared the 'real stuff.' The work they made their living from. That's what made Harry Loranye's "Close Up Card Magic" such a classic. Osterlind shares the final result of the sweat that he expended to create truly great routines whether you choose to call them magic or mentalism. The audience only responds to their entertainment value.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have volume 2 BCS. Does anyone have both one and two DVDs and use both the Radar Deck and BCS? After using the BCS, I cant see a mentalism effect being any stronger.

Thanks

WC Smile
The Great Simon
View Profile
New user
Rugby, UK
34 Posts

Profile of The Great Simon
Smile
"What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." - Woody Allen
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Is the 3rd and 4th dvds mostly Magic or mental magic?
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
This series has changed my opinion on Mentalism and I have only watched the first DVD so far. This is killer stuff and owe yourself this set.

Dave
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
Sapolice,
You could use the radar deck first, and then switch it for the BCS deck. In fact I think Osterlind has the last few cards of the radar deck matching the last cards of the BCS.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
I've just placed my order for Vol 2 of this series. After hearing so many good things about Osterlind's DVDs, I simply had to order one to see for myself. I can't wait for it to arrive!