The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ultimate Beginner's Magic by James Anthony (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This is the marketing blurb on this DVD:

Learn the most amazing Ultimate Beginner's Magic EVER with this EPIC DVD.

Ideal for beginners and ages from 8 to Adult, Ultimate Beginners Magic Vol1 makes the perfect gift.

Learn all this and more!

1.Time Travel Machine
2.Mental Prediction
3.The French Drop
4.Table Top Coin Vanish
5.The Strike Vanish
6.Salt Shaker Through Table
7.Straw Sensation
8.Knife Swallow
9.Hindu Force Prediction
10.Ring and Band Mystery
11.Lipstick or Ash Through Hand
12.Crazy Man's Handcuffs

•Bonus 1 Prediction Impossible
•Bonus 2 Performance Tips
And includes even more tips for getting the most out of your magic when starting out, including a PDF on the disk for one of the tricks.

MY REVIEW:

I was a bit dissapointed with this DVD. My dissapointment was in what I think is poor form. For example, there is an knife swallowing effect. The first part of the effect is him sitting at a table and demonstrating what is going to happen. He covers the knife with both hands, slides it off the table, clearly holding it with his thumbs and palm of each hand. He is just demonstrating how he is going to swallow the knife. He then sets the knife back on the table and now does the "real" effect. However, he covers the knives with both hands and as he slides the knife off the table, his thumbs are extended, unlike the first part, where clearly he was using his thumbs to hold the knife under his hands. He comes out with both thumbs extended, clearly no longer holding the knife. To the spectator, it is clear that he is no longer holding the knife. There are many very good beginner magic DVDs out there. Just because a DVD is for beginners, doesn't mean it can't be a powerful effect with good magic instruction. However, if he were to watch that effect on the DVD himself, I think he would agree that this is not the way to teach this effect.

Perhaps other magic Café members can suggest a really good beginner DVD.
magicant
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester UK
121 Posts

Profile of magicant
Hey 1KJ, Thanks for buying my DVD.

Could you send me a link to a video online of your interpretation of this trick, or could I buy a DVD that you have produced?
I'm always open and interested in other professionals interpretations and work.

All the best
Anthony
==============================

Producers of COVERT ADAPTIONS - INFAMOUS - DEADLY MARKED DECK - GUARANTEED JACKPOT - THE EXPERIMENT - CERBERUS WALLET - AND MANY MORE!

www.magicworld.co.uk (UK)
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Two thumbs down on the two thumbs up.

Woodfield
magicant
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester UK
121 Posts

Profile of magicant
Yes at 00.25 Smile

I teach it on the video to have the thumbs together, but in the actual performance or demonstration side on the video my thumbs are definitely out more than they should be, but I'm glad I teach it in the correct way.

In my opinion it is still in no way obvious that the knife still isn't there however in my next DVD I will certainly make sure details like this are spot on Smile

There is still lots of good material on the DVD and it is intended for absolute complete beginners etc.
==============================

Producers of COVERT ADAPTIONS - INFAMOUS - DEADLY MARKED DECK - GUARANTEED JACKPOT - THE EXPERIMENT - CERBERUS WALLET - AND MANY MORE!

www.magicworld.co.uk (UK)