The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Pavels DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can anyone reccomend any of Pavels DVD's that are out there? I have heard that the quality is lacking in some of them as well as lack of instruction quality.

Thanks for any info!
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Not at all. The DVDs are great, and contain many of his original creations. Pavel is very creative, and you'll enjoy watching it. Some of the effects are just magnificent.

As a mentalism lover myself, I strongly recommend you get the Mentalism vol.

The only downside is most of the effects performed you need to have the props. but hey! unless you do cards, everything else is almost a prop!

Go get it. Highly recommended.
ChopCup
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of ChopCup
I loved seeing him on the Ed Sullivan show. It's sad that magi aren't on shows anymore.

Chopy
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
These DVDs are VERY VERY OLD videos remastered. Pavel is a very creative out-of-the-field mind (the only magician with a similar creativity who comes to my mind is Gaetan Bloom). It is that kind of creativity that can fool you with simple methods because it runs along unusual paths but at the same time doesn't fit many magicians. There is a lot of material described but many tricks are marketed and the video doesn't explain how to make them. Anyway the video performance may help you if you already have those tricks or if you plan to buy them. From the videos you don't get the audience reaction which may be a disadvantage in assessing their strenght.
In coclusion DVDs are a pleasure to watch but the number of routines you can actually use is VERY personal. None for me. My suggestion is to buy Pavel's Lecture notes because they contain the EXACT SAME material described with the SAME "clarity" and if you like what you read you can buy the videos as a visual aid.

Sincerely
Academy
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
How about Lubor Fielder for a creative genius?
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Sure, where can I find a Lubor's video?

:worry:
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I don't think he ever put his magic on film Smile Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I think Academy is confusing the Videonics series with the new L&L Series. The videonics series is old, but the new series of Pavel DVDs is new, shot in the L&L studio with their usual enthusiastic audience.

I have the DVD that focuses a lot on magnets. It has some very good magic...and some not-so-great stuff too. The rope magic is fantastic...and Pavel shows how to make the special ropes.

I have heard that the other 3 DVDs in the new series are good too - a lot of good, original magic combined with not so strong stuff.

Ron
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
Sorry Ron, you are right! I'm actually referring to the videos where Pavel doesn't wear glasses.
Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Academy