The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Is 'Dai Vernon Revelations DVD Set' good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Hi guys, is this set a good investment...can I have more details preview from those people who own them...how is it compared to Daryl's revelation set...

thx guys...
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
It's Dai Vernon. Of course it's good.

Oh, and "Revelations" in this sense has a different meaning than it does in the Daryl videos.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
ChopCup
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of ChopCup
Daryl's means Card revelations. Dai's is his magic/himself the man.

Both are great!
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Yes, It's good. But I would stick to the Card Revelations instead (IMO).
JasonMythos
View Profile
New user
Hsinchu, Taiwan
86 Posts

Profile of JasonMythos
Quote:
On 2003-10-07 00:14, Mistro wrote:
Yes, It's good. But I would stick to the Card Revelations instead (IMO).

I don't have either series.
Would you share with us the reason why you would stick to the Card Revelations?
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
As has been stated, the Daryl series offers a variety of ways for revealing selected cards. The Dai Vernon series contains effects, stories, and philosophy from the repetoire of the late Dai Vernon. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which has more value, but it's still up to your preferences and what you want to get out of the series. I'd suggest going to a website that sells either and viewing the content outlines of both so you can see for yourself what you'll be getting and make a decision from there.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
I would get Daryls without any doubt although the two sets are very different - only the name is similar.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Quote:
On 2003-10-08 12:08, Gary Alford wrote:
I would get Daryls without any doubt although the two sets are very different - only the name is similar.

why?

--Euan
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
I've no idea what Vernon was like in his prime as a performer but he seems very irritable in the Revelations series. Obviously it doesn't show him at his best.
Yes, magicians here will say that because he was such a great magician that we should all get these vids.
I thought Daryls Revelation series to be very bright, fast, easy to watch, easy to learn from and loads of material.
Just as an aside didn't Vernon's revelations tapes initially sell for a huge sum of money (these came out before magic vids were common place)?
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
There are times when you are buying the material and not the performance, and this as well as the Elmsley videos is a good example. If you want great material and a lot of it -- these are for you. I see a lot of the time people want the newest DVD's out there because it is new stuff. Well a lot of the new stuff is the old stuff that nobody is doing.

A lot of the material here is classic material, and there is a reason for that -- because it plays! The material is what is important, not the fact that it isn't brand new, not the fact that it is a DVD not a VHS or even a book -- that stuff doesn't matter. If you are interested in the material, buy the material -- not the hype!

Sixx
Smile
unklepaul
View Profile
New user
hemel hempstead, uk
84 Posts

Profile of unklepaul
I've got one of the vernon dvd's and it's not bad at all. I bought it because it featured the symphony of the rings and I needed to see a classic rings routine performed and explained. it's not a structured vid/dvd, more a rambling discussion. nevertheless it's great to see dai vernon and hear some lovely tales of his magical career.
on dvd you get two volumes on one disc...not an essential purchase but very interesting.
hope this helps
om mani padme hum
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Agreed. I have the series and for me to see Vernon live was something really exciting. Besides the discussions, you get additional fotage of Ammar, Freeman and Oulette.
Even then Ammar was a master, Freeman inquired the Professor into his life but Gary Oulette, although a master of its kind, seemed like he was just learning magic at the time the videos were shot. That's the impression I got when I saw the videos. Tricks explained are ok but the stories Dai Vernon tells are just awesome. I don't think I use other tricks from The Revelations except of Triumph but I think the series is woth having.
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
Dai Vernon the Professor, I love, and respect his revelations DVD set. Wish I could have met him!
Dai was very critical when it came to magic, and the effects taught through-out the set are priceless.
Not to mention the stories, and philosophy's that Vernon shares! Wish I had an ounce of his experience, The man knew everything there was to know about magic! "And you can take that to the bank!"
Sorry I don't know how it compares it to Daryl's revelation set. (Cause I don't own it yet! But I will!)
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
I don't own Daryl's revelation set, but I am sure you will get something good if it's put out by him. I think if you have some experience with magic, you should have the Dai Vernon revelations...although it isn't a dvd series with tons of new tricks and explanations, there is information on it that in my opinion, is way more important. It shows the professor's insights and thinking to why something works or why it doesn't. You can pick up some very subtle yet very powerful tips while watching the series. In addition, you get to hear entertaining stories and see some things performed by the man himself, Dai Vernon. Seeing all of the genius and skill that he had is very inspiring.