The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Anyone Own Jerry Andrus' Zone Zero? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Jerry Andrus, IMHO, is one of the most unique magicians ever. I have the three volume VHS set of his, and found it to be one of my most valuable tape collections.

The effect Zone Zero is, without a doubt, worth the entire price I paid for the 3 tapes!

Zone Zero is an 11" x 17" board with a hole near the center. You show both sides of the board, and both hands empty, and without going NEAR your body, or any furniture, you reach in and take out a bright yellow rubber 2 1/2 inch ball, which you bounce on the floor, stick it back in the hole, and show both sides again, and hands empty!

I had one made from black opaque plexiglas, at a local plastics dealer. It cost me $10 for them to make it, and has been one of my all-time favorites, because it's SO different. The rubber ball came from Walgreen's toy section.

How about any of you?

I'd love to hear about your Zone Zero, and the story-line you use for patter. Also how did you hear about it, and have you ever seen Jerry perform it?

Looking forward to your replies, Smile

Doug
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Doug,

I made a Zone Zero out of cardboard just to practice the effect. (I purchased one of Jerry Anders' tapes). I have only performed it once and the look from the audience was one of both suspicion and bewilderment but I have not as yet come up with a story line that I am pleased with. As soon as I do, I will be using it again. Until then, I get a kick out of performing it in front of my mirror! It is very clever.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Zone Zero is a brilliant master piece of this individual. His thinking is unbelievable.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I thoroughly agree, and sorry to Steve and everyone...

I guess I made a mistake posting this where I did. I'm still learning my way around the Café, and where to post what.

This was not about tapes, I'm sorry to say. I should have just left the VHS tapes part out, since my question was about the illusion itself. I didn't think it qualified as a large stage illusion, since I've performed it in front of people in their living room. I guess that would make it Parlor stuff...anyway, moot point.

You're right, sometimes it's obvious how it works. Kids figure it out pretty quickly, but older audiences, say elderly people for example, either are being polite, or they're really blown away. A ladies luncheon asked me to "do a magic trick" for them, so i went out to my car and came back with Zone Zero. Best reaction I've had from the thing yet.

And simple? A board and a ball. Nothing else! I usually don't hand out my props, but that's something I do because they WANT to see it for themselves, and it has no reasonable explanation. It defies logic. I also like the idea of no body loads or steals.

Love to hear some patter ideas as well...

Doug
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I love Zone Zero but I think the main problem is to find a climax for the ending. I suggest you to take a look at John Carney performance (don't ask me where you can find it). He uses a lemon instead of a ball and at the end he pulls out a glass full of lemonade from the hole (the lemon is gone).
Don't imitate, try to find new ideas.

Sincerely
Academy
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1541 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Do you have to wear a jacket for this effect?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
I don't have a Zone Zero, although I've seen Andrus perform it. I've thought that a golf theme might be good. Golf ball - hole in one - it isn't fleshed out, but do you see what I mean? For a kicker ending (ala Carney) say that you shot a birdie and produce a shuttlecock - a badmitten (sp?) birdie or you made an eagle and produce a beanie baby eagle.

Tate
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Steven's Magic used to sell an appearing golf club. It might work as a final load if you use the golf ball idea.
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Does it require a jacket or long sleeves to perform this trick?

http://www.thehungersite.com
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Zone Zero does not require a jacket or long sleeves.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
T-shirt & shorts is fine...even fools 'em more!

I use the Portable Hole idea, ala Carney, but a scientific twist.

I explain the 4th dimension can be demonstrated with this board and ball. The ball is held beyond the "Event Horizon" (show both sides), but reach in, and...

You get the idea.

It's one they can examine to their heart's content. However, I show the "appear and disappear" once each. It's something you don't want to overdo...sort of like the Zombie, a little goes a long way... Smile

Doug