The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: On the Loose by Bill Malone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi, read somewhere that this is highly rated.... wondering if this is worth the money... it seems that each dvd is pretty short...

are the tricks that are taught useful in the real world? are they ok for a beginner...

or should I just get Michael Ammar ETMCM ?
which is bettter?

thanks
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
Eric,

You asked "are they ok for a beginner.." - If you're just getting started with card magic, then you will get more value from the Ammar Easy To Master Card Miracles.

The material on Bill Malone's DVDs is excellent. Useful in the real world? Yes! This is Bill's working repertoire - what he has made a living with for the last 25 years. Bill also has included tips about working in the real world and how to get work.

The ETMCM is a great start however - there are some incredible effects on the 6 volumes - and there are more volumes on the way.

Either set of DVDs will give you material for real world performing conditions. Only your skill level will determine which set is appropriate for you.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get both ETMCM and Bill Malone. Ammar tapes are great with lots of effects. Malone dvd's are not short but they are worth the money just to watch him.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
If you are looking for some fun and entertainment, Get all 4 Bill Malone dvds.
If you're looking for Card tricks but a boring performance, then get the ETMCM series.
I would recomend you get the On the Loose series by Malone! Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-09-14 09:12, Steve Pellegrino wrote:
Eric,

You asked "are they ok for a beginner.." - If you're just getting started with card magic, then you will get more value from the Ammar Easy To Master Card Miracles.

The material on Bill Malone's DVDs is excellent. Useful in the real world? Yes! This is Bill's working repertoire - what he has made a living with for the last 25 years. Bill also has included tips about working in the real world and how to get work.

The ETMCM is a great start however - there are some incredible effects on the 6 volumes - and there are more volumes on the way.

Either set of DVDs will give you material for real world performing conditions. Only your skill level will determine which set is appropriate for you.

Listen to Steve-Get the Ammar series first. The Malone ones are VERRRRY advanced and will be a waste for you at this point.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
The Malone DVD's are not very advanced. If you want advanced then read Erdnase.

The material on the Malone Dvd's is intermediate, meaning that if you have been doing magic for a FEW years (at least 3), then these will be of VERY HIGH value to you. You will love them.

But if you are just starting out, you won't get much from them. If you're looking for videos that will teach you, then stick to Ammar and Daryl for now.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
If you've never touched a deck of cards, I'd get a book first like Card College Vol 1. Well explained and lays a great foundation, and the tricks are solid too. I bought a few Ammar tapes when I was getting back into it and found them a little tough without knowing the proper basics.
Double lift, finger breaks, double undercut,different cards counts. These are the foundations you'll need to get going.
So good luck.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I agree that the effects on the Malone DVDs would be for an intermediate magician, but seeing his performance style and his tips for the working magician would be useful to nearly everyone interested in magic.

I wouldn't recommend them at the very start, but after a few performances, and after you have several of the more basic sleights down cold, these DVDs start to become very helpful.

Bill
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I don't know what I'd do without these. My performance has improved a ton by watching those videos. I use many of his effects.
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
Hi,

I understand that one of the volumes covers false shuffles and false cuts. I presume this is volume one due to Sam the Bellhop.

Is this correct and in what detail does Mr Malone go into the false shuffles and cuts and are many such false shuffles and cuts explained.

Are many other sleights explained on the volumes and could an alternative DVD/set of DVDs be recommended to provide more false cutting and shuffling and general sleights.

Thank you

Pharaoh
wu tang
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
54 Posts

Profile of wu tang
Vol 1 does teach sam the bellhop
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
Hi,

Does volume 1 cover false cuts and shuffles in detail?

Thank you

Pharaoh
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Pharaoh,
Yes, In the Sam the Bellhop explanation, Bill teaches a few false cuts and shuffles in deatil. I use them regularly in my Card Tricks.
Ferry H.P.
View Profile
New user
Belgium
95 Posts

Profile of Ferry H.P.
At this moment, I have volumes 1 and 2.

The false cuts and shuffles on volume 1 are great.

On volume 2 you get some false cuts and shuffles as a bonus.
Ferry H.P.
bjsantiago
View Profile
New user
san diego
11 Posts

Profile of bjsantiago
If you can only afford one, get vol. 4

It contains some classics like Invisible Palm and Reset. 11 effects in all.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I don't think 4 is any better than 1, 2, or volume 3. This is a series where all 4 volumes are very close to being equal.
Drive Carefully