The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Could I get some more comments/reviews on this dvd?
~joeKing
JasonMythos
View Profile
New user
Hsinchu, Taiwan
86 Posts

Profile of JasonMythos
bwalder
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
46 Posts

Profile of bwalder
That's a good comparison.

I have all three of the products in that comparison and Mike's video is my favourite, Roth comes a close second. The Stone tapes have some cool moves, but I find the epxlanations relatively poor and some of the moves are very advanced. Also, Stone simpy says "do a retention pass here", whereas Roth and Ammar will teach you HOW to do it.

To recap - if I was to only buy one, it would be the Ammar one..... or the Roth one.... no, Ammar..... sod it, buy both! Smile
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3229 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The link to the review site above is excellent. It’s a tough choice between all the videos that were mentioned. Ammar’s video probably gives the most for the least money; however, eventually you will want more information than just on this video. If you use it as a supplement to the book, “Modern Coin Magic”, by J. B. Bobo, then Ammar’s video is excellent. And of course later you can also get other coin videos including other ones by Michael Ammar.

Michael Ammar also covers history and theory as it relates to Coin Magic.

At the end of Michael Ammar's “The Complete Introduction To Coin Magic” DVD, he gives advice to new magicians. He covers making mistakes, i.e. dropping a coin while performing; basic magic performance ethics including how to handle spectators who want to know secrets, and not performing at another magician’s venue without permission. He also says how “public” criticism of another magician only ends up making both magicians involved look bad. He deals with performance butterflies and building confidence. This type of information is great if you are a new magician.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
This video is GREAT. I love it. It has taught me so much in the coin magic world. Very useful video.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
Great video for teaching the sleights you see in Bobo's. I wish he had shown a Click Pass, but that's OK. Seeing him do the Classic Fake Transfer was worth it all. Plus, he teaches some great little routines ont it.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But this isn't the Easy to Master Coin Miracles, right?
Yours,

Ivan
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Very, Very, Very good dvd for magicians who are starting Coin Magic!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Niva, no it’s not part of the ETMMM set, it’s a separate DVD that takes a beginner in coin magic and shows them a lot of the regular sleights used in that art. He also shows you how the sleights work in the real world by performing some coin routines along with the accompany sleight. Good stuff!
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
If you're a beginner to coin magic, and only wish to purchse one beginner coin DVD, then I think the "Complete Intro to Coin Magic" DVD is an excellent start. Its is good value for your money. For just one DVD, it certainly covers quite a number of essential coin sleights.

This was the very first coin DVD I purchased when starting out in coin magic, after buying Bobo's. Ammar covers the fundamental aspects of performing coin magic, and gives many valuable tips on coin magic and the performance of magic in general. I am glad I purchased this DVD when first learning coin magic, as it has given me a very good foundation. Highly recommended for beginners.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
Just my take on things...

I bought the Ammar DVD within a few weeks of getting into magic. It is very good, and I learned a lot from it, but it does cram a lot of material onto one DVD and therefore moves a bit fast from time to time. If you're a true beginner, that's something to consider.

When the Roth videos were released onto one DVD, I went ahead and picked it up. Roth's teaching style must have fit me, because I improved so much more with my coin work after learning his stuff (I'm still not very good, but I'm improving all the time Smile ) He moves at a little bit slower pace than Ammar, and that helped me a lot.

The biggest advantage that I feel puts the Roth DVD ahead of the Ammar DVD are the effects taught. In my opinion, the effects that David Roth teaches are overall superior to the Ammar effects. Anyone else feel this way? Granted, he's big on lapping which may deter some people from performing the effects, but they are killer routines.

If you can get both, go ahead and do so! If you only want one, I place the Roth set slightly ahead of the Ammar DVD. But they are both very good.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I think Ammar's Complete Intro is great! It goes really well with Bobo's.

Just my 2 cents.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
496 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I think it´s very good too. Ammar´s THE teacher.

Håkan

Smile