The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Question for long time...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Workers, Hobbyists and creators... I figured here would be the best place to put this I'm just curious on what you guys consider your all time favorite... By this I mean BOOK, Lecture Notes or DVD... What do you find yourself always returning too review or watch or relearn or whatever... For example for me it would have to be Rich Morrata's DVD series. Book would have to be Mastering the Art of Magic by E. Burger. Lecture notes are Dominique Duviers Lecture notes..The notes for a really sweet Cards to Wallet effect, Burgers book just becuase it has sooo much information on performing and Rich Morrats Series for the effect Repeat Escape which after 12 years is still a Favorite effect of mine... This is what I was meaning... Would love to read what you guys cherish.. Who knows I might have it in my Library and may need to give it another look..
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4555 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Great thread paisa.

I find myself always going back to..

The Step System Volumes 1 & 2 simply..because of the simplicity, easiness, and workability of the effects.
John Guastaferro's One Degree BOOK
Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond BOOK -I find many AH-HA moments happen when reading this
Mentalism Reveals BOOK -Sold out but it has great mentalism tips that get me motivated.
John Carey Handle with Carey DVD - I go to this all the time now, same reason as the STEP System DVDs
Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick - OOP just recently but many great mentalism ideas.
Trost vol 3
ICandy -again the same reason for the STEP System.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that I go to the most often for "guidance"
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
"The Book of Secrets" by John Carney.

Not just great effects and advice but highly inspirational too.
"But there isn't a door"
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Fav DVD - Bullets After Dark by John Bannon
Fav Book - Oh lawd, I have so many...I would probably say, Paper Engine? No, Card Magic of LePaul...or...Constant Fooling Vol 1? Yikes.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
The David Williamson DVD's (all four).
Sleight of Dave
Dave 2
The Magic Farm
Dave's Magical Mysteries Revealed Lecture DVD (With Baby Stinky)
Great thinking and one funny guy.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 03:26, Blindside785 wrote:
Great thread paisa.

I find myself always going back to..

The Step System Volumes 1 & 2 simply..because of the simplicity, easiness, and workability of the effects.
John Guastaferro's One Degree BOOK
Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond BOOK -I find many AH-HA moments happen when reading this
Mentalism Reveals BOOK -Sold out but it has great mentalism tips that get me motivated.
John Carey Handle with Carey DVD - I go to this all the time now, same reason as the STEP System DVDs
Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick - OOP just recently but many great mentalism ideas.
Trost vol 3
ICandy -again the same reason for the STEP System.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that I go to the most often for "guidance"

WOW I HAVE NONE OF THOSE AND I THOUGHT I HAD A PRETTY BIG COLLECTION!!!! LOL THANKS FOR HELPING TO GET THE BALL ROLLING!!!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I love James Brown's "Professional Opportunist" Dvds and his "Fancy A Pot of Jam" DVD. When I grow up I want to perform like him.
*The "Magic of Michael Ammar" Book--Superb
*Chad Long's Lost Cheesy Lecture Notes I and II
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Just saw Chad Lecture AMAZING!!! KEEP THEM COMING!!!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2570 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
For magic:

DVD: Lee Smith Step System

Books: Protoplasm by Christian Painter

For mentalism:

DVD: Derren Brown Devils Picturebook, plus all the Mind Mysteries from Osterlind

Books: Principles of Mentalism by Osterlind

Things looking to purchase: Book of Lies by Paul Brook

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
For me

The Books are: The Collected Works of Derek Dingle and the Larry Jenning's Classic's of Magic.

DVDs: Johnny Thompson's Classic's of Magic set

Lecture Notes: from Aldo Colombini
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Love Aldo's notes, Osterlind has some great stuff just couldn't get into ALL of it... But love his watch routine... Johnny Thompson never picked anything up from him... Derren Brown is amazing WOULD love to do his Smoke effect but I no longer smoke...
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1221 Posts

Profile of APC
Great thread!
For me the DVD would probably be Talk About Tricks by Joshua Jay and others. So many things to learn and the teaching is excellent. When I want to get my creativity flowing, I always go back to Steve Dusheck's DVD. The man is just a genius and really gets you thinking.

The book I reread a lot is Chris Kenner's Totally Out Of Control. Love the way it's written and the effects are great.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Fitzkey trilogy
Buckly's Principles and deceptions
Buckingham (book version not notes) It's easier than you think
Illusion Show - David Bamberg
Card Magic of Paul lePaul - by lepaul
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Old Paul Harris books
Lakewood, Ohio
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Books
Carneycopia - so much great magic, lots of variety, written by Mr Minch.
Stand Up. A professional guide to comedy magic (Ian Keable). - While I don't really do stand up, this book really makes you think. It helped my close up work and Mr Keable tells it straight!

Lecture notes
The lecture your father never gave you / The lecture your mother never gave you - Geoff Williams. Great material, well written..
Honourable mention to Paul Green's notes, Ammar's Encore, Guastaferro's notes... (and many more)

DVDs
David Williamson's - Just so good to watch, great routines.
John Carney - Thoughtful approach to magic
Matthew Wright: The unusual suspect- A lesson in presentation; the patter, the callbacks, the tag lines and the best 3-fly type routine (which I don't normally really like) by a mile
Most stuff by RSVP (James, Carey, Brown, Smith, Jones, McCree... and so on)- quality production, great usable material

Lecture
David Williamson's International Magic Lecture (London) a year or two ago... probably one of the most entertaining, funny two hours I can remember...

Charlie