The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Larry Jennings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
alexmagic
View Profile
New user
ZARAGOZA, Spain
21 Posts

Profile of alexmagic
Can somebody talk to me about Larry Jennings´DVDs?
I think they are good, aren´t they?

thanks
alex Smile
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Maybe you should do a search on that subject in the forum or ask a more precise question. As long as I remember the subject has been allready extensively discussed.
Bye.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
If you are interested in Jennings' magic, I would highly recommend his Classic Magic of Larry Jennings book. It is about as much as a DVD, and it has some fantastic tricks in it. I have seen one of his dvds and own the book as well. I've gotten far more out of the book. Just my opinion

Trevor
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
The best tapes of Larry Jennings are the Paris Tapes. There are two of them. I do not know where they are available though. As for books, The classic Magic of Larry Jennings is a must as is IMHO Jennings 67. Richard Kaufman is in the process of publishing two great books of Jennings techniques and magic and I for one is really looking forward to see them. Smile

But your question was about Jennings DVD. Sorry. If yoou are thinking about Thoughts On Cards DVD, this is a mixed bag, but and this is a big but you get to see Larry do four effects for the laity at the Magic Castle. You have to have in mind though that Larry was not at his best in this DVD as he was quite ill when he shot them. The same can be said of the Paris tapes but there is a kind of magic in these that is absent from anything I have seen in the other tapes Jennings have done.
Smile Smile
Fletch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Fletch
His cup and ball from thoughts on cards is worth the price of the video. reel it in!!

Fletch
alexmagic
View Profile
New user
ZARAGOZA, Spain
21 Posts

Profile of alexmagic
thank you for your opinion
alex
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
If you don't own any of his books, that's the place to start.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17428 Posts

Profile of joseph
The Paris tapes are my favorites also, and the interview about Larry's closeness to Dai Vernon is pretty touching, but although he was indeed pretty ill, the magic is really good, especially his Slow Motion Aces. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Larry Jennings sidesteal is a must for any cardworker and is taught among other places on his Thoughts on Cards DVD(during Estimated Toss).Even though he wasn't at his sharpest when the footage was shot, the move is imperceptible in performance and is a favourite of mine.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
The classic magic video is quite clear and well presented (although his 'audience' is a total moron IMHO). Interestingly, in some cases you will see differences between his handlings on the tape/DVD vs what Mike Maxwell describes in his Classic Magic book. The other tape, is sad (in that Jennings was clearly wheezing and ill) but otherwise quite interesting. While you do learn some things, sorta, it's neat to see how this legend performed. Like a kindly uncle who'd do magic for you at family get togethers.
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Gary Kurtz once told me that Larry Jennings was "out of this world" when he performed for very small groups in an informal session.

For Gary to say this, it means that he was very impressed.

Smile

Yves
KYTerry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of KYTerry
Met both Larry and the Professor at the Desert Magic Seminar, Tropicana Hotel, in the 80's.

To say he was great was an understatement. I bought both of his books, 'The Cardwright' and 'Classic Magic', from him. When he shipped them to my home in Florida, he even autographed them to me.

I think the Paris tapes can still be found at Steven's Magic Emporium, that's where I bought mine many moons ago.

The 'Thoughts on Cards' DVD's are worth it just to see Larry performing live at the Castle and the interview segments.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
He was a true original. A creative genius and generous to boot. They don't make them like Larry anymore.

I have his thoughts on cards and love it. He's not in the best of health, but you see his humor and spirit in all he did.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier