The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: ICANDY review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Hey guys,

Here is my review of ICANDY by Lee Smith, Gary Jones, and RSVP magic. I purchased it at Blackpool, where Lee and Gary where demoing all the effects!

First of all, all the material is so commercial. There is a good variety of different effects, and also 3 bonus effects on a seperate Disck if you preordered. That's 18 workable tricks, including the 'was going to be a single trick' 'IPhone 10', for £20. INCREDIBLE value.

Some of my fave tricks:

Kick Back Kings - one of Lee's favourite routines. A chosen card, lost in the deck reappears between the Kings! Or does it?

This effect is SO commerical, SO simple, and so downright hard hitting! A great version of Luke Dancy's Royale with Cheese, especially as it is 100% gimickless and impromptu. 9/10

Kick Back Kicker - The selected card jumps from your pocket and back again. You’ll love the climax to this one, that’ll fry their brains!

This is such a great little optional phase after Kick Back Kings, or can be done as a standalone little trick. The selection jumps back and forth from pocket to packet, and then a great kicker ending. Does involve one hard to do move for some people. 8/10

T.N.T - A signed card is torn then restored VISUALLY! The spectator is left holding an impossible prediction!

SO visual, so commercial, and the thing that would leave you dirty, is used as a prediction, making everything clean and examinable. SO clever, and very streamlined.

9/10

IFone 10

This was going to be a FULL Dvd. Hence they include it as a single effect almost, with all the bits a single DVD would expect to have. Brilliant and funny! They even include templates!

10/10 (The value is amazing!)

Scoop
Watch! Your signature VISUALLY jumps to the spectators signed selection. Anniversary Waltz with a regular deck!

Again, another visual worker, such a great ending to Anniversarry Waltz. Has to be seen, it is SO visual!

9/10

No Sleep

One of the fastest transpositions you’ll ever see.

Trick of the DVD. Fast, simple, amazing, in the spectator's hands. I love it, even if it is SO simple. Well done Gary!

10/10

6 Card Dunbury

A great take on Charlie Millers classic.

Nothing VERY new here, but very commerical, and a lovely emotional hook!

8/10

No Palms Coin thru table

If you want a self-working, super clean coins through table with no moves? Well here it is!

I am not a coin guy, but I can appreciate the simplicity and ICANDY of this effect!

Coin guys will LOVE This. 8/10

Pocket 2 Pocket 2 Pocket

Very tricky to pull off in some respects, but it looks amazing. SO much magic, and so beautiful.
Very entertaining indeed!

8/10

I could go on for hours about how good this DVD is.. because it really is!
Seriously, the material is commercial, fun to perform, and simply very visual and hard hitting.
The production value is GREAT (RSVP Magic) and it is so apparent that Gary and Lee use this material all the time.

9/10 - Great tricks, good value (£20!!!!!) and created by two of the nicest guys in the bussiness.

Best wishes,

Kyle MacNeill
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I've just watched the performances quickly to check out the effects, everything you need to add to your current repertoires
at least 9 of the routines I'll be doing instantly, and will be working them at this weekends gigs and wedding fair
but it's also packed of great extra little tips and nuggets of info that will enhance any close up performers game
BUY IT NOW HERE DIRECT FROM LEE!!! : http://www.walkaboutmagic.com/magicians-only.php
I'll post a proper review at the weekend once I've had chance to watch the nearly all 3 hours!
top effort lee, gary & russ
hope your not still hungover from Sunday/Monday morning
;)
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Yeah, everything is SO commercial!
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Here are my thoughts

ICandy-Lee Smith and Gary Jones

Available from http://www.walkaboutmagic.com and http://www.rsvpmagic.com

Price: £19.99

Yesterday I was in London all day and got home at about 8.45 with aching legs and feeling absolutely shattered. All I wanted to do was eat dinner and go to bed.
However, when I got home I had the parcel I was expecting from RSVP magic. Tiredness was quickly forgotten as I simply HAD to watch Icandy.
Gary Jones and Lee Smith are both VERY busy workers with annoyingly creative minds. A release from both of them simply HAD to be watched straight away.
This is a collection of 15 routines taken from their working repertoires.
Here they are:

Kick Back Kings: This is a superb sandwich routine from Lee. It has an ending that will knock you sideways when you see it and will probably send your audiences into some kind of mind warp. It’s the sort of thing that normally uses dupe cards but with this you’re set to go with any deck at any time. My favourite routine from Lee on this project.

Kick Back Kicker-This is an optional follow up to Kick Back Kings. It’s a lovely little transposition between the selection and the sandwich cards. It can be done on its own or, as I said earlier, a follow up phase.

T.N.T- TNT stands for torn and transposed. This combines a prediction with a insanely visual torn and restored card. The plot is hard to describe but it’s very easy and you’re good to go with any deck at any time.

Eyephone 10-This is Lee’s much-discussed card routine which was released on it’s own a few weeks ago. They’ve included the WHOLE project on this DVD. This is great-it involves a signed card, a presentational hook that really makes sense in this day and age, some very funny moments, an unbelievable ending and most importantly-your contact details.
This also comes with ideas from Ravi Mayar and other great magicians.

Easy eyephone-This is Gary’s take on Lee’s effect. It’s just as powerful and even easier than Lee’s original. I don’t think one is better than the other necessarily but it’s just a different take.

Scoop-If you like anniversary waltz but don’t like having to keep buying double-facers to perform it then this might be for you. It’s very easy, is very visual, just uses one regular deck and makes sure the spectator remembers your name.

3C-This is a great 3 coin routine from Gary. Coins appear, disappear and re-appear in an unbelievable way. Great Stuff!

No Palm Coin Through Table-This is a superb routine from Gary. Four coins pass through the table with no sleights whatsoever. Think Slydini without palming.
Ring to Purse-This was on the demo for the DVD. I watched it a good few times and by about the 6th time I finally had an idea how a TINY aspect of this worked. I was SO wrong.
A finger ring is borrowed and held in your fist. A purse is displayed with some coins inside. All of a sudden, your fist is unclenched to show three coins and the purse stops rattling.
Brilliant effect and a method which can be applied to lots and lots of different effects. I can’t wait to start working on this one.

No Sleep-Gary has put work out on this incredible transposition before and I’ve been doing it everywhere lately. Five cards are displayed. One is put into the spectators hand. The other four cards are shown to be the kings. The four kings in your hand instantly change places with the one card in there’s.
It simply defies belief for laypeople. I actually can’t stop doing it to people.

Vanishing point- I confess to giggling like a five year old when I watched this for the first time. I was fooled BADLY. If you’ve forgotten how it feels to be a muggle then I suggest you watch this first.
An incredible sandwich routine and I’m itching to have a go at this.

6 Card Dunbury- This is Gary’s take on Charlie Miller’s Dunbury Delusion.
It’s a nice plot and Gary has put in a great emotional hook-namely a chance for the spectator to win some money.

One short of a full deck- quite simply brilliant. A brainwave deck with any pack and with no rough and smooth. The second phase takes a classic effect and puts it into a logical context.

Pocket to pocket to pocket-Gary’s signed card to pocket which is just impossible to follow and just leaves your head spinning.

Triple choice-Lee’s card effect for a slightly larger table. Think tossed out deck meets card to wallet meets multiple selection culminating in a fabulous card routine.

Both Gary and Lee have released lots of stuff before. All their material on their previous releases have been first class, workable and stunning.
Having watched this DVD I’m left asking one question-

How many A-list sets of material have you both got?

Recommended un-reservedly.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thank you Elliott for taking the time to review iCandy. I just love doing No Sleep, quick and straight to the point no nonsense magic!!

Lee's Eyefone 10 is a superb way of promoting yourself or a product/company.

I'm really glad you like the DVD.

Regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Just to echo what Gary has said,

We are so pleased everyone is enjoying the DVD, and massive thanks you to everyone who has taken the time to put up your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

A pleasure Gary. was the least I could do.

Lee-ta for your text mate.
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
748 Posts

Profile of carlwag
I have only watched up to eyefone 10 so far as I only got this today, but every effect so far I would use and is great.Eyephone 10 is worth the price of the dvd on its own.
Sometimes on dvd's you may get a couple of usable effects but if icandy carries on as good as the first handfull of effects all 15 I will be performing.

Thanks Lee and Gary
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Another duplicate review from 'Latest & Greatest'

Live performances, multiple worker effects, Lee & Gary? Enough said.
Actually, no.
I won't be using the excellent Eyefone 10 (probably because everyone else will be!), but instead will be trying out 'No sleep', 'Kickback Kings & KB Killer', 'Ring to purse' and 'One short of a full deck'. Ah... and of course I have been loving Pocket2Pocket2Pocket since.. well Pocket to Pocket from the Workers Corner DVD in 2009.

If I only continue to use 2 out of these 6 effects long term, this disc represents serious value (I have been using Pocket to Pocket for 2 years now, so that's one already).

Lee and Gary are, in my brief personal experience, gentlemen of the art.

Seriously good stuff that actually works in the real world. Another excellent job by RSVP.

Sorry to be boringly sycophantic, but this is an excellent release for both the hobbyist and worker.

Charlie
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

I watched the bonus disc while talking to someone at first and didn't really pay much attention.
Just watched it again and picked up on the fact that I got a mention!!
it made me sit up cuz I didn't realise before.

Gary-very very kind of you to give me a nod sir!
Thanks a lot.
I feel honoured.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 19:31, Elliott Hodges wrote:
I watched the bonus disc while talking to someone at first and didn't really pay much attention.

Thanks a lot.
I feel honoured.

Hi Elliott,

Credit where credit is due, we tried very hard to make sure the crediting was done. It was your improvement/alternate handling of my Top Con Control which you kindly shared with me last year, this is how I always do it now, thank you. When we eventually meet up I will show you how I took your idea and extended it to control one selection to the top, at the same time a second selection is automatically sent to the bottom!!

Once again 'Thank You'

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Seriously, so many specs have been fried with Kickback Kicker. SO fun to perform with Kickback Kings.
And No sleep... they are just blown away!

I hope this DVD gets ALL the recognition it deserves, it is SO good value!
18 commercial effects for £20.
People need to take a leaf out of ICandy's value, so many one trick DVDs are sold for £20+!

Kyle
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-26 04:40, gjmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 19:31, Elliott Hodges wrote:

Thanks a lot.
I feel honoured.

Hi Elliott,

Credit where credit is due, we tried very hard to make sure the crediting was done. It was your improvement/alternate handling of my Top Con Control which you kindly shared with me last year, this is how I always do it now, thank you. When we eventually meet up I will show you how I took your idea and extended it to control one selection to the top, at the same time a second selection is automatically sent to the bottom!!

Once again 'Thank You'

Gary Jones.

I look forward to it. We need to sort something out soon.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I watched this from start to finish tonight
Although I don't have time for an in depth review right now, there a few points I'd like to make:
Firstly it is all pure worker material!
By that I mean most of the effects are: minimum/no reset, FASDIU, examinable, no gaffs and very commercial !!!
Ok, you have bought this DVD, so please watch every chapter, every minute.
You may see an effect that might not quiet work for you? But don't flick through it, nor the explanations!
GUARANTEED there will be dome snippets of information that you will overlookat your peril.
There is so much on the DVD
1 I don't know which to work first!!
2 what the he'll do these lads have for us next?!?!?!
My favourite moment on the disc though, had to be:
When Gary shakes the fella's hand after the easy coins through table.
I'm sure he was smiling inside when he did it, and god. It made me smile!!
PURE QUALITY !
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Again guys,

Thank you so so much. We put a lot into this release and we are so pleased that everyone is enjoying it so much.

Some of these routines we have been doing for a long time so it's great to think that many people we get the same reactions and use from them as we do.

Thanks again for picking up the DVD and all the kind words.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Here is a video review by Guy Portlock from DTCMTV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2afttW9xQs

Please check it out

And thank you all again,

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
Seriously one of the best dvd's out there, get this!!!!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Some nice effects and good value for the money. Almost any worker would find several things to use from this DVD. For once I really believe they had no more room on the DVD to cram in anymore and the bonus DVD is actually a little bonus. Of note, Lee appears to be left handed and this effects the handling of some of the tricks if you are right handed. Specifically you will be using a non - index corner in in the T & R trick and one of the peaks on the bonus DVD assumes a right handed dealers grip.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 09:47, Xcath1 wrote:
Some nice effects and good value for the money. Almost any worker would find several things to use from this DVD. For once I really believe they had no more room on the DVD to cram in anymore and the bonus DVD is actually a little bonus. Of note, Lee appears to be left handed and this effects the handling of some of the tricks if you are right handed. Specifically you will be using a non - index corner in in the T & R trick and one of the peaks on the bonus DVD assumes a right handed dealers grip.

Thank you very much, it would of been amazing if we managed to fit the last couple of routines on, and if we could have then we would have.

Its funny as me and Gary are both left handed so it was interesting during the explanations.

With the T,N,T effect you will find it makes no difference on the tear. I don't even think about it anymore there is enough time misdirection and it passes with no question.

Many thanks again and really pleased everyone is enjoying iCandy so much.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I can only repeat what has been said above.

This DVD is stuffed full of practical magic. If you watch this & don't find anything you'd use right away I'd be very suprised.

For me, Gary's coin routines took first prize. The cheeky MO behind his coins through table is so slick it could be a magician fooler IMO. 3C is as equally as nice. I was doing Roth's coins across but 3C is now my go to coin effect. Lovely work.

The card tricks are of equal quality. Kickback Kings & No Sleep both make excellent openers.

A must have DVD for workers, beginners & hobbyists alike.