The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Newbie card movie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
What VHS/DVDs would be recommended for someone trying to learn card magic? Not tricks per say- but more technique. Like a VHS/DVD that is like, or close to, what Bobo's book is to coin magic. I want to learn skills along with some tricks.
*poof*
Vasilis
View Profile
Regular user
Greece
146 Posts

Profile of Vasilis
There is a huge debate about that h e r e
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi Sethbeck,

I highly recommend Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series (volume 1 to 8). It teaches a LOT of sleights along with a few tricks on each tape.

Except maybe volume 6, as it deals only on the Faro shuffle and its variants (so you might want to keep it for latter, because this particular shuffle needs a lot of dedicated practice!).

There is also the Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights volume 1 to 8. (but only Daryl is available in DVD, which is a good thing as you don't have to lose time rewinding or fast forwarding to find a particular sleight).

They are both very similar, so my recommendation is this; pick the one performer (Ackerman or Daryl) that you connect with (that you like best) as it is always more pleasurable to learn from someone you like, than from someone you dislike.

As you will see from future posts here, these two are the 2 most often recommended serie on the subject.

Enjoy!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada

Try to do a search in the "review section" (the good the bad, the garbage)

And you will find ALL the informations you are looking for!

Ronnie Lemieux
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Movie????? Smile
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
Movie: You kind of get used to refering to things on DVD and VHS as movies. But you are right, in this case movie = instructional videos/DVDs
*poof*
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I think it all depends on whose style you like. When I first started, my first two videos were by Martin Nash (talk about jumping in over my head). I couldn't even handle his "easiest" routine on Volume one.

You can always "grow into" a new purchase, so don't worry about getting in too far over your head. May I suggest the following:

A-1's Martin Nash "Charming Cheat series"

Daryl's Encyclopedia of card sleights

Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD( only one trick but teaches what seems like a million sleights to help with the routine)

Dave
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Try Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles.
Gidon
View Profile
New user
Tacoma, Wa
80 Posts

Profile of Gidon
Daryl...he's comprehensive, direct, and delivers a lot of material. Any of his videos will be great.
Chris Harland
"No WAY...wait...do that again."