The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Spectators Don't Exist by Jon Allen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Coming in late on this, but I recently got this video by Jon Allen and wanted to comment. This is one of the best magic videos I've seen in quite a while. Jon really knows his stuff, offers valuable advice, teaches everything very well. The effects:

Ghost - I've never been a thread guy, but this one inspired me to give it a go. Jon offers a wonderful argument for 'animation' over 'levitation' when using thread.
Coins Across - Not a coin guy really, but I was motivated to learn this one. Absolutely stunning, well-constructed, and really gets the spectator (oops, I mean participant) involved.
Rubber Band Trilogy - I know a lot of guys here love to perform CMH. Well, after seeing this, you're going to want to add these other phases to it if you haven't already learned them. An excellent routine.
Ambitious Card & Destination Box - Sheesh, I want one of those boxes. Outstanding work.
Thought of Card in Envelope - Great work on the mental force. Very clever.
Freddy'd Dead - Excellent work on the Professor's Nightmare. Time to get the ropes out.

What can I say, I could see any (or all) of these effects finding themselves into anyone's repertoire, regardless of what type of magic they perform. Strong, practical, solid stuff. You WILL use these effects and you WILL put the advice to good use. Thanks Jon for making such a wonderful video.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Marko,

Thank you for your kind words. It's always nice to hear that someone really does gain from purchasing something of mine. I didn't want to hold back anything on the video. What you see is what I do to keep the wolves from the door!

If you want one of the boxes, drop me a line.

Thanks again and good luck with the routines.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I second Marko's endorsement of Jon's tape. It has magic that's very strong for real world performances.

Regards, Larry D.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I recently got to see Jon lecture at Marc DeSouza's house. His lecture was superb - the count of the ropes he did in his Prof. Nightmare routine fooled me real bad - he really counted (not a false count) all 3 ropes one at a time while showing they are the same size!

Though Jon, the best was your little marionette routine - I almost fell to the floor with laughter. What entertainment.
Click to visit:
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Bought the tape and it was worth every penny I spent for it.
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
I couldn't agree more..a refreshing look at effects.. Smile
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Great video Jon!
Besides great magic Jon provides a unique way of approaching and responding to his audiences.
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I have this tape and really like it too! My favorite parts are:

1. Jon's opening line when coming up to spectators...I use it all the time now.

2. Professor's Nightmare - having ropes change lengths in spectator's hands.

3. Jon's reason for showing spectators the cards during the force (a logical reason for showing the cards instead of just having them think of a card)...excellent.

I think I'll have to save up for the Destination box too. This is just a superb tape...one of my favorites.

Ron Reid
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Just on the search and wish there were more tapes like this. Real world magic is what we should be focusing on as magicians. Well done Jon
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
Everyone is asking which is the best dvd of the year. I vote that this is the best video of the year IMHO.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Any idea if this will be coming out on DVD? I'd hate to get the video and find out that it's soon coming on DVD.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John's video is wonderful. He's a real thinker. And I LOVE his effect Double Back ( not on the video ). It's my favorite card effect.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier