The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Greg Otto's New Comedy Routines (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
This is a great find for the comedy magic performer. Greg has an understated style of humor that plays extremely well. This video alternated between a live performance at the Magic Castle and the explanations, which were shot in a living-room setting.

Don't look for any ground-breaking sleight of hand or even any out-of-this-world, newly-created magic. It's not here. His particular handling instructions are not in-depth. But that is not what you are paying for. What you will get is great comedy presentations for some classics of magic. The lines he uses (while not all new and original) are just plain funny. His overall premise for the tricks presented is fun. For instance, I've never done Card In Fly. But there is something about Greg's presentation that almost makes me want to try it--almost.

The audio level is a bit backward during the show portion. Obviously the mic was at the camera in the back of the room. As a result Greg's comments are quieter than some of those in the audience. While somewhat annoying, I can overlook that because of the content.

His explanation portions are fun interactions with Martin Lewis as they sit on a sofa and discuss the tricks. Again, in-depth handling of the moves is not the priority of this video. The basics are there, and most magicians will have seen these tricks on other DVD's or in books. What you really will take away from this is the fun presentations.

I bought this and will certainly make use of quite a bit of it.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thank you!

GREG
OTTO
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
I feel the same way, Scott. Greg Otto is a breath of fresh air! Laid-back, self-deprecating, always funny (his Card in Fly routine is an absolute delight!), Greg does what I'm forever trying to do: slow down, give the magic its moment, have fun.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Scott O,

There is some powerful, straightforward magic in this tape, based on simple, easy-to-do methods.

The real gold is the lines. I sat through the video with a pen and notebook. Greg is a great example of how to make magic funny.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I enjoyed watching Otto's dvd even though I probably won't do any of his routines I found them very entertaining.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Ditto.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Where can I get this DVD? I heard his name priced in the hihgest levels, but it is so hard to find something about him.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I enjoyed this too!

Greg comes across as a really down to earth guy.

Good stuff!
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
How we doing for time, ma'am?
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
His torn and restored bill switch thing is very funny...good real world material...my kind of stuff!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Just watched it...very entertaining....