The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Dan Harlan: Live! by Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
While the magic on this 2 dvd set is classic Harlan ( deceptive and entertaining ) what strikes me as the most valuable lesson is seeing Dan 'perform'. Not the effects, but his theatrical persona. Watching him act and engage the audience is incredible.

Two Left Hands- Harlan's audience-pleasing warm up which gets everyone involved in the fun!

Very clever way to get the audience revved up and participating. Greta for MC work or just starting your own show.

Hold It, Buster- The pun-filled, jumbo card monte updated with all the jokes and bits of business

Very entertaining monte routine for parlor or stage.

Crazy 8- Harlan's ingenious signed, torn mis-made and restored masterpiece...finally on video.

A classic and the template is included FREE on the DVD.

The World's Saddest Trick- Producing tears of laughter as a sad little hanky vanishes forever.

This is MY personal favorite way to perform the vanishing silk. VERY theatrical and baffling.

Ritual Necklace- A new presentation and handling that blows the dust off grandma's necklace.

I know folks love these things, but since I don't, I really can't judge it.

My Word- The crossword puzzle book test that seems like mind-reading and requires no memorization.

KILLER. Worth the price of the DVD as it's a marketed effect. The template is included to print off and Dan gives his expert instruction.

Tightrope- Finally on video, Harlan's charming silent rope routine that tells a story without speaking a word.

Another example of Dan's theatrical training.

Cheez Whiz- Harlan's hilarious, show-stopping routine performed entirely with groceries! First time on video!

Just a funny routine for Magicians. I suppose you could do it for an audience, but they wouldn't get the inside jokes.

Starcle- Creating magic with a paper napkin, Harlan captivates with a full presentation of his classic effect.

We all know this classic Harlan effect. This has big impact on an audience.

This is a great DVD set. I'm a big fan of Dan's work ( he's a master cold reader also, so I hope down the road Dan's tips some work on the subject ).

HARLAN is back!

Chris Kavanagh
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
782 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Thanks for the review!!

Charlie
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
981 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Thanks for doing the review. I got this recently and have been to busy to post my thoughts and you have hit it right on. Well done dvd of Dan performing and explaining his lecture. Recommended.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Really glad to see that Dan is back, together with his confident style and typically high quality work.

He's been missed. I'm looking forward to getting these DVDs.

Mark Nemmers
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
That's good for a dealer ad but doesn't really review the material. Does anyone else who have this want to review it?
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I bought this DVD set after reading the review and can't add much more. It was great fun to watch and the magic is splendid.

I watched it again today and found it just as entertaining. I'm trying to get Starcle down.
~Joe
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Get on the http://www.MagicEnhancer.com mailing list and they have a limited time special for Harlan LIVE.

FREE SHIPPING on all U.S. / Canadian orders. Overseas shipping is only $2.

Here's a guy that knows great magic:

"Looking for some stand-up material that is commercial and fun? You'll find it here in Harlan's first rate collection. "
Wayne Kawamoto, Magic & Illusion 3/15/2010

Chris Kavanagh

Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
That's right. I am offering this DVD for a limited time only (expires on 4/27/2010.). The double DVD set is on sale now for $35 (that's $15 off retail price). Please email me at MagicEnhancer@aol.com for the details. I will add you to our mailing list and forward you the special discount code to take advantage of this offer.

Chris is correct, FREE shipping to US / Canada customers and only $2 shipping for overseas customers. On behalf of Dan, thank you all for all the support and kudos for this DVD set. We appreciate it.

As usual, if anyone has any specific questions, please e-mail me at the above email address. I look forward to hearing from you.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dan's routine "Tightrope" has some incredible visuals to it. It's a conglomeration of moves/methods from many sources.

Mark's move of cutting the rope, perfectly mirrors how you'd actually cut the rope. If you used a dull blade ( knife or scissors ) there wouldn't be any doubt in the minds of anyone watching. Mark's move is called "Slice With a Twist" and was originally published in The MINOTAUR magazine (co-published by Dan and Marv Leventhal).

Also, what Dan credits as the "Dr. Jacob Daley knot" looks just like the rope is being tied. I think it's been used by others without crediting.

I mention all this because the routine is a silent one and very theatrical. Dan can pull this off, but most of us couldn't without some sort of theater training. So, many may pass it by. The moves can be incorporated into your current rope routine and I think it would be worth looking into.

There is gold on this set.

Chris