The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Rhapsodies in Silver & Other Mysteries (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Anyone got this yet?

I'm defo going to get either this or the classic magic of Michael vincent, I'm more of a card guy and don't do any coins, can anyone recommend 1 over the other based on my needs?
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2570 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Purist,

I used to own Classic Magic of Michael Vincent....its got some excellent material.

Rhapsody looks like it also has a mixture of both coins and cards

I am going to buy both

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I have "Classic Magic" but not "Rhapsodies." Looking at the effects listing for "Rhapsodies," though, it seems like a big chunk of it is coin work. There are a couple of "performance only" pieces with coins on "Classic Magic," and the rest is mostly cards. So, if cards are your interest I'd get that one.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I'm trying to figure out what was not gary kurtz in the demo...
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Lol
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 13:04, Joshua Barrett wrote:

Same here. When I saw the ad in one of the online magic shops I thought he was giving the magic community something new. I watched the demo from the link in this thread and was SO disappointed. It was a mixture of moves from Gary Kurtz and the utilization of his suit. Being a magician inclined in coin magic, nothing seemed new to me. The moves were nothing cutting edge. The routine may seem practical to some.

I do wish the best for him.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3107 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Anyone else have any thoughts on this new set?
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
Watching Disk 1. The teaching session is again very detailed. Michael Vincent shared many tips and insights on basic coin handling. Seems it is at least as good as the first set. Can't wait to finish the other disks.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Quote:

Certainly, parts of Michael's routine were inspired by Gary Kurtz's "Trio" routine, but I also noticed quite a bit that wasn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing these.

Iain.
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 11:59, Iain Moran wrote:
Quote:

Certainly, parts of Michael's routine were inspired by Gary Kurtz's "Trio" routine, but I also noticed quite a bit that wasn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing these.

Iain.

Gentleman,

Thank you all for your considerations regarding the new DVD set.

It a real collection of thoughts and ideas.

As for the coin routine, it has been a lot of frustration trying to make the routine work for me.

Gary's original routine looked simply brilliant in his hands, the challenge for me was to make the routine look as equally good in my hands without any loss of effect. It took a long time to arrive at a handling which I felt totally at ease with, as Mike Close would say, " A Worker".

I humbly pay homage to Gary Gurtz's and my friend Chris Kenner for the inspiration to start thinking and working on this plot. In fact Chris Kenner's routine was the "real" inspiration for my version.

My routine is by no means complete, in fact, in the last week, I have improved the final sequence beyond recognition, and I am delighted with it.

I really hope that you all find something of value that will inspire you all to take your magic to the next level.

Good luck

Mike vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Will you be teaching the routine on the dvds? I'm really looking forward to this set.
Bert
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I had a chance to watch thru the first 2 discs of this set and what people don't seem to realise is that this set is so much more than just the coin routine shown in demo. But because people insist talking on it I will mention few words as well. It might look similar to Kurtz but the workings are much much easier. Many moves are substituted with other moves and the end structure isn't nearly identical. They might look rather same but they aren't. Ok, moving along.

The first disc also has very lengthy discussion on coin magic in general. Covered are lot of basic things like vanished and palms and such. This might be common knowledge to most of us, BUT what makes this still worth it, is that Vincent goes thru the thinking and theory of the moves shown. He explains why he choses to vanish a coin the way he does, why he choses the palms he uses and why he doesn't do Kainoa or Bertini style sick finger flinging. Very educational and worth looking.

There is also maybe the best coins thru table routine I have seen (along with Vernon kangoroo coins). I originally saw this on Tapestry of deception tapes and been working on it ever since. However, this one requires lapping and that might be "turn off" for some of us.

Vincents version on Sawa Slot machine has finally simplified this beutiful routine so that it is doable by mortals. NO MORE EDGE PALMING 12 coins and transfering them from hand to hand! FINALLY! However I would have liked to get more info on the gimmick used.

The card work on the first two discs is also fantastic. I didn't care much about the invisible card seen on the demo, but once you get to see the proper workings, you really start to appreciate the thinking behind it. I will try this out.

Leipzig opener was familiar to me from other sources (Revelations and Carney) but it is a beautiful piece I have never seen anyone use.

There is some other stuff on these discs as well, but the real treasure was in the end of disc 2. Vincents work on ANY CARD AT ANY NUMBER. I have been obsessed with this plot for ages and studied most versions of it. This version wont really satisfy the purists cos it is based on Al Baker version.

That said, Vincents version will surely be the choise of many professional workers out there. What makes it so good is that it is full routine. It basically has 4 any card at any number effects in one. Each effect is gradually building towards absolutely amazing ending. Laymen simply wont have a chance to understand what hit them. It isn't self worker but it isn't too hard either. Also some details on "how to make adjustments" werent mentioned but most of us allready have 15 ways to accomplish those. And best thing about this version is, NO MORE STUPID MENTAL CALCULATIONS 53-27= 26 to know where to make a pass! WOHOOO!!! I seriously hope no one else would be able to see this. Worth the price of the whole set for me easily.

Juha-Matti
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:

LOL you where being nicer then me, I was thinking holy smokes how can he put that on video when it is so clear to where the coins are going at the end of the routine! I certainly would not have used that as a trailer.

He is smooth and you can tell he works hard and takes his work to heart and that is very important. I just think the 3 fly section should have been left out of the trailer!

Sickmagic( getting sick of the same old magic)
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3789 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I'm looking forward to picking these up. I like viewing other magicians styles and flare, and I like variations to plots as well. Good review Juha-Matti, thanks for the insight
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1066 Posts

Profile of helder
Very good dvd set, every magician should see this.

Thanks Michael,

helder sousa

http://www.heldersousa.com
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Does Michael Vincent teach the Rhapsody in Silver on this DVD set? (Or, is it performance only?)

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 15:11, korttihai_82 wrote:
And best thing about this version is, NO MORE STUPID MENTAL CALCULATIONS 53-27= 26 to know where to make a pass! WOHOOO!!! I seriously hope no one else would be able to see this. Worth the price of the whole set for me easily.

Couldn't agree more! And the additional idea he suggested during explanation is also great!
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
What is shown in the demo has nothing to do with the content of the DVD set. There is some much magic there that you will need months to digest all the material.

Michael' admits that he is not the most original coin magician, but no doubts that his coin magic is effective. Even if the coin beffects are not his own creations,the handlings and presentations.

I want to be Michael Vicent. Thanks for this fantastic DVD set... buy it!!
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2009-08-27 19:00, Turk wrote:
Does Michael Vincent teach the Rhapsody in Silver on this DVD set? (Or, is it performance only?)

Thanks for the info.

Mike

The routine performed on the demo is completely explained on the 4th disc. Just watched it thru last night and I am seriously considering getting dollar size coins and sh*ll to learn this. Half dollars aren't visible enough for my taste for routine this caliber.

Also on 4th disc were rather interesting effect by Eddie Joseph. It got great reaction from the helper and is rather different effect in general. Havent really seen anything quite like it before.

Also 4th disc had complete explanation of Vincents coins across routine from the first DVD set. It wasnt explained in there but it is here. It has some very interesting thinking and especially the beginning, that wasnt on the first DVD set with purse frame is fantastic. I allready adjusted it to suit my 3 coin routine.

Weakest link of disc 4 was chink a chink routine. Although I understand why Vincent has altered the way he has, I still prefer Ammar/Roth routine on this.

Only disc 3 to go. Jumped straight from vol.2 to 4 to see the Symphony in silver Smile

Juha-Matti