The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: DVD with notes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10005 Posts

Profile of funsway
I find it difficult to learn a new Effect from a DVD or Video, and would prefer to have notes as well. The Visual presentation is great for inspiration, but I would love it if the producer would supply a step-by-step written outline as well. Yes, I'm an 'old fart', but so are many others. Perhaps a written Download could be offered as an option, or have a PDF section on the DVD.

Just a suggestion.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are a genius and while not everyone who should be putting in at minimum a written outline a number of people are. I've seen DVDs with breakdowns of the steps, copies of lecture notes concerning the routine, images to print. Some of the PDFs are excellent in content. I absolutely agree that everyone should do this so people can have a quick reference or can carry it on a palm type computer or even print out and put in a note book. Those that do not do it are lazy and don't care about their customers!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Russ Stevens has done this on some of his dvds. The man's a genius.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 14:05, Andi Peters wrote:
Russ Stevens has done this on some of his dvds. The man's a genius.

Russ is one of the big talents in the business. When I see his name on a project, I just get it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Now that you mention it for the first time I'm starting to pick DVDs based on the producer and ignoring if I know who the presenter is or isn't. Russ is clearly the champ of making DVDs and I have never failed with Kozmo Magic either, or Alakazam, or that 52 something or other out of the UK.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 17:22, MagicSanta wrote:
Now that you mention it for the first time I'm starting to pick DVDs based on the producer and ignoring if I know who the presenter is or isn't. Russ is clearly the champ of making DVDs and I have never failed with Kozmo Magic either, or Alakazam, or that 52 something or other out of the UK.

I notice you didn't mention L&L in your list.

They were the pioneers of the modern dvd but they've been overtaken in recent times. I think they've rested on their laurels and fallen behind.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I am not going to say anything negative about L&L. I'm also not going to disagree with you.
jayder
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
196 Posts

Profile of jayder
The uk company is called full 52 productions,Magicsanta.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
<Shameless Plug>

My Stone Cold Magic DVD comes with a Companion E-Book:
Stone Cold Magic DVD

And my Gemstones DVD comes with a Companion Website full of tons of content both reading and video:
Gemstones

</Shameless Plug>
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is right! You did a nice job on the PDF too.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
One of my favourite release formats for DVDs isn't as a traditional DVD at all, but as an accompaniment to a book. That way you get the best of both worlds, detailed instruction with lots of room for added information in the book, and the opportunity to have a visual model on how sleights, timing, choreography, etc. should look from the audience's point of view. Tyler Wilson's Dominatricks is a great example of this.