The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Daryl's Encylopedia of Card Sleights or Allan Ackerman's Card Control?? :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
nathanernest
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of nathanernest
Hi guys!

Can somebody please elaborate on the difference between these DVD sets? Which one do you think is better etc?

I already purchased Daryl's Box Set (Looks great on my shelf, lol), but I want to know if it is worth getting the Allan Ackerman Series as well. Tell me what you think?

Nath
---------
Nath
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I would say yes. Allan is a good teacher as well. There's going to be overlap, but you'll get different thoughts, approaches, etc. from each. I also think Allan goes into a little more detail.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
nathanernest
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of nathanernest
Thank you very much!

I will think about it some more!

Cheers on the wuick reply!
---------
Nath
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have seen both, and both are great. But they are different.
Allan have more advanced stuff.

I like to link:

http://allanackerman.com/

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I agree that both are very good and that both magicians are technically awesome. However, in my opinion, Daryl is a far more entertaining performer. Admittedly this is a subjective matter but ...

This being said, these DVDs being references rather than videos to be watched from A to Z, this difference is secondary.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
If you have the full Daryl set don't bother buying all of the Ackerman set. I'd recommend just getting his dvds on the faro shuffle, false deals and palming. The rest of the set has sleights you already know or sleights you probably won't use much anyway.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
As previously stated, both sets are very good. For the most part, I think I'd have to agree with motown. Allan definitely goes into much more detail than Daryl on many occasions. I originally purchased Ackerman's dvd to learn the faro shuffle. He taught it so thoroughly and smoothly that I ended up purchasing the whole set. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with any of Ackerman's material. I'm sure some of the material will overlap though...

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Yes I rate Ackerman as one of the best in the world................
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
At the very least, pull the Daryl set down off the shelf and get started. Smile He is, IMO, the more entertaining of the two, while Ackerman delves a bit more deeply into the mechanics. Both sets are very good and compliment each other nicely.
redeagle
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
147 Posts

Profile of redeagle
I don't have either but am very familiar with acquisition fever. I am still looking for some books I want even though I already have more than a lifetime's worth of learning waiting for me on the shelf. I won't tell you not to get something you would like, but make sure you get started watching the Daryl set you already have. I have heard a lot of good about it and learning all that is there could take years.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
And what about Simon Aronson's Toolbox? What do people think of that one?
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 13:04, kerpa wrote:
And what about Simon Aronson's Toolbox? What do people think of that one?

I hear it's nowhere near as good as Simon Lovell's...
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Sorry! Smile Of course I meant Simon Lovell's! What do you think of it?
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
No idea, as I generally don't purchase Magic Makers products. The list of contents is pretty impressive though.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3230 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
This topic is continued at the first topic on the list below. All of the topics compare the material being discussed in this topic.

Ackerman vs. Daryl (opinions)

Daryl vs. Ackerman

Opinion Daryl or Ackerman

Advance Card Control Allan Ackerman vs e......by Daryl

Daryl vs. Ackerman DVDs - Pros and Cons
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"