The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ring String and Ding by Paul Hyland - Workers Corner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
So if you have been wanting to add a ring and string routine to your act/set then look no further than this new dvd by Gary Jones and Chris Congreave, it is great!!

I wanted to add a ring and string routine to use in conjunction with another routine so without hesitation as soon as I saw this dvd on http://www.workers-corner.co.uk I immediately clicked add to cart and paid for immediately and once again very prompt service from these two great guys it came next day!

popped the dvd in the player and started watching, as soon as I saw the performance section of the dvd a smile came to my face as I saw multitude of different moves to do just with the string, then a ring production which is very nice, appears in a knot in the string, then loads of different moves getting the ring off the string and on, I have taken about 5 moves off this dvd and am currently working on the routine now, well not right now as I am typing this, you get the idea though eh!

I do really like this routine a lot, and for £15 for the dvd is a great price in my opinion, oh blimey nearly forgot, paul hyland uses a bell in the routine he does which is a very nice idea and got to admit the ending completely fooled me, I wont say what it is buy the dvd and it'll fool you too, and is very easy to do too, but I just wanted to get some moves from this dvd and am very glad I purchased this dvd, I already have the other 3 dvd's from workers corner and they are all great!

on the dvd you will see a performance section, then all the moves are broken down so you can learn these first, then a nice sit down discussion with paul, gary and chris whereby they go into indepth discussions about the moves and placement of fingers etc, it is nice to see this as it allows chris/gary to ask the question if we were really sitting there ourselves, so very nice touch!

then there is a bonus move that gary performs at the end and explains which totally caught me off guard and will work for some of you out there but is very bold, but hey if it works then it is a killer ending to your ring and string routine

did I say where to get this dvd from, oh yeah I did, but here it is again in case you missed it and are already zipping over to their site to order, http://www.workers-corner.co.uk

5 out of 5 stars!
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Are there many new moves? since I already had dvd "ring leader"- by Gregory Wilson..and it is near to encyclopedic move for ring & string routine...
can you explain what are the different between both?
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Thanks for the review Daren, glad you enjoyed it! Ferryascanio, there are some new moves, there are some subtelties on existing moves and there are new displays etc. what is also new is the way that Paul has introduced a different prop into the mix and his routine is brilliant. There are loads of things you can take from it, also as Daren says, Gary Jones teaches the ending to his ring and string routine too, which has caught everyone he has shown it too.

All the best

Chris
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Many thanks for that Daren.

As for my move/ending, it has caught every magician I've shown it to. It's off the wall, ballsy but WILL catch you. I caught Bobby Bernard big time with this at Blackpool a few years ago. I wanted an ending which could be done anywhere and without the need for props (flying rings, locked boxes etc) I also didn't want to be restricted with having to wear certain clothes (I often work in hot countries so no sleeves etc), this ending can be done in the nude, though I wouldn't recommend it!!!

So not only do you get Paul's fantastic multi phase routine (which is modular so you can use just those bits which suit your working environment) with his superb ending, you also have another impromptu ending to play with.

As Chris mentioned, Paul uses an additional prop (a small bell) which can be found in most gift shops, this is easily gimmicked (all explained on the DVD), this is what makes Paul's routine so unique and entertaining, the ending is 'off-beat' and totally unexpected (no, the ring doesn't end up in the bell).

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. A trailer will be up very shortly.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
It is a great bonus ending,thank's Gary.

I too enjoyed the dvd and the price is very reasonable.

Maybe I'm the only who suddenly feels dyslexic when watching ring and string [or
rubberband moves] so I would have loved to have seen a few 'Behind the shoulder'
camera shots.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I remember first seeing this routine a couple years ago when I was helping Gary with a lecture/workshop in Dorchester. It was the highlight of my weekend there. I immediately tried talking Paul into releasing the routine. Emails shot back and forth for months afterwards, but I became too snowed under with work, as did Paul that the project never got off the ground.

Luckily, Gary and Chris when starting their company http://www.workers-corner.co.uk, they decided they only wanted the best, workable material available to release, not material you would throw away in the sock draw. This was one of the first routines they wanted to release! I know as I was there when we were dicussing what was to be released!

I was even more fortunate to go to the filming of the DVD and watch the routine again where I could watch the routine over and over again Smile. I try and keep clear of writing on Gary and Chris' work, as everyone knows we are all close friends, and so my thoughts may be perhaps perceived as biased. Whether my thoughts are biased or not, does not dispute that their thoughts and material is top of the workers ladder! And though not one of their products directly, the Ring, String and Ding by Paul Hyland is also up the top of the Workers ladder, and am glad it is finally available through the hard work of Gary and Chris!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Ring, String, and Ding by Paul Hyland
Medium: Routine, DVD instructions
Arena: Close Up, strolling, restaurant
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I am a big fan of ring and string routines and believe that for strolling and table work a good routine is a very important component of a successful act. It makes use of two common objects, shoe laces or another type of cord, and a finger ring and doesn’t involve playing cards, what a beautiful thing. In the case of Ring, String, and Ding you also have the addition of a small bell which may be left out of the routine if you decide. The DVD is presented and explained by Paul Hyland out of the UK. He does a nice job presenting the routine but unfortunately the spectators are seemingly comatose. I think in a real world presentation he would have received better reactions and I’m not sure why these spectators were so passive. I say this because I don’t want you to judge the reaction you can expect with this routine. The explanation is augmented by a discussion with Paul by Mr. Jones and Mr. Congreave (forgive spelling) which is important to watch because it fills in some gaps.

I already was familiar with ring and string routines and did the material from Greg Wilsons Ring Leader, an outstanding DVD, and some of the material found on this DVD is duplicated on other DVDs, lets face it there isn’t an unlimited number of moves that can be done with a ring and string, such as Wilsons, but this DVD should still be considered. The reason is because the presentation has some very interesting aspects to it. Paul makes use of some traditional rope effects that open the routine and I thought that was a great idea. The introduction of the ring is magical, another good point in my book. Just in case anyone isn’t familiar with a ring and string routine you basically show a finger ring being pulled off of a cord, or attached to a cord, in a magical way. Many of the move are truly shocking to the spectators because they see the ring on that string and then it is off, often in the spectators hand.

The quality of the DVD is pretty good. The sound is solid, the picture is good, not great, but better than most. It is a pretty clean cut production, the routine is shown, explained, then discussed. They did a nice job on crediting at the end, which gives lots of people warm fuzzy feelings. I think Wilsons DVD is a must have to learn ring and string but I really appreciate the additions Paul has made beyond the duplication and because of that I’d also suggest you check out this project. If I had to go with only one I’d go with Wilson, but I’d try to figure out how to get this one as well. Nice routine and a worker.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3790 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks for that excellant and balanced review MagicSanta. I love finger ring magic and after reading that, I'll order this to add to my education on the effect.
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Thanks for the review Magicsanta, I think Paul has got a beautiful routine there, when I first saw him do it he fooled me badly, particularly the production at the start.
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
Great Review Magicsanta Smile

I will 2nd that Chris I never saw that coming !!
Worth the price of the dvd alone for that Gem Smile
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
I really liked this DVD, there were some lovely moves I've never seen before and the routine is very well put together,

Russell Leeds
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
I got this in the mail 2 days ago, and watched it twice so far. Awesome routine, and best of all you get the second "discussion" explanation which adds some good ideas and nuances. $17 well spent. And I agree with Santa, the initial appearance of the ring on knotted shoelace made me rewind the first time. Very magical.
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
107 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
I'm glad that you all like the routine so much, because it's mine.
There are about 10 moves in R,S & Ding, that are exact copies of the moves in The Relentless Ring & String Routine. And all of the moves that are duplicated are presented in the exact same order as Relentless.
If anyone doubts me, they can contact me directly, or get a $5 reprint of the routine at http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz.
So, I agree, it is well structured. Relentless is the only R&S routine that has 3 "On" moves. One of them is my Fisher Ring move where the ring appears inside of a tied knot.
And, as has been mentioned. it is a modular routine that can be ended at a number of points.

BTW, Mr. Hyland has apologized. And Worker-Corner has done the honorable thing by pulling the product. So I do recommend this magic dealer. They have ethics.

Anyone can contact my be email at Bob@BobMillerMagic.biz.
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Hello All!
Went to Mr. Miller's website and ordered his PDF of The Relentless R and S.
Sent the payment via PP and recieved the file within 5 minutes or so.

Gonna look over the PDF during my lunch hour....can hardly wait! Smile

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Oh dear ... not a very good start to the new range of Worker's Corner products.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You have to admit it is exciting though....a routine comes out, we get to find out who really did it....

I gotta say it takes a lot of gall to release another guys routine knowing it is his routine and knowing he'll get wind of it.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Hyland says at the beginning of the DVD as well as in the add copy that this is basically his version of The Relentless Ring & String Routine. I realize that giving credit is not the same as getting permission and I suspected that's why it was pulled. Some of the explanations on the Miller DVD are thought were difficult to follow, but had the same problem with the Hyland disc. The rope moves at the beginning, I most be an idiot at this. As many have mentioned in the past, hte explanations on the Greg Wilson DVD are particularly easy to follow although there are moves that are unique to each DVD.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Bob Miller is correct, as soon as we realised Paul's routine was almost identical to Bob's we immediately pulled the DVD. The DVD is no longer available (some dealers may still have the odd copy) but Worker's Corner and Murphy's Magic have removed this DVD from their websites.

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 02:02, Futureal wrote:
Oh dear ... not a very good start to the new range of Worker's Corner products.

This is true Smile, you live and learn! Some dealers would not have pulled the DVD and continued to market/sell it. As soon as the problem was brought to our attention we immediately sorted it out directly with Bob Miller.

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The moves in the beginning are basic rope routines one normally doesn't find associated with ring routines. You can find good explanations on how to do them in rope books or videos.